Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start (noob)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catalyst317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car won't start (noob)

Hello everyone,

I am a bit of a beginner as far as car repairs go. I can do the basics, (oil, brakes, etc) but anything further than that, I am a bit lost, so please explain it to me as if I was 7.

My car, 2000 Civic, will not start. I have power when I turn the key, but nothing happens. The starter won't turn over at all. It was fine the last time I started the car. I was poking around to see if I could see what the issue is and I found that a wire has completely disintegrated at the starter. I'm not sure what the wire is to be able to order it or if that will resolve my issues, so I have come here for help and some guidance.

When I played around with the wire and tried to get it to touch to make a connection, when I would try to start the car, it gave a very brief tick sound (not even half a second), as if the car was trying to start, but then stopped.

I have attached a pic of the wire. (not my pic, I stole it from a different post, but it shows the wire) It is a pretty thick wire with a black mesh covering. In the pic, there is no covering, but that is what the wire looks like when I removed the mesh covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civic.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	89088  

Last edited by catalyst317; 09-05-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car won't start (noob)

If that wire has has loosened at the solenoid terminal, tighten the nut holding it on and recheck operation. See if either of the other wire connections are loose too.

Manual transmission in your car? See if there are chunks of a small round rubber disc about the size of a penny on the floor under the pedals. The clutch-starter safety switch is supposed to contact that disc and if it is missing the switch won't close its electric contacts.

Otherwise, you can test the starter using basic checks: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-...on-car-tests-1
Old 09-05-2016
Registered!!

The wire has broken from the terminal. The connection is still on the terminal, but the wire has become completely separated from the connection and I need to order one, but not sure what wire it is. I think it's a ground because it's not a solid wire, it looks/feels like it has insulation, but not sure. From the pic, you can see it looks like fiber.

The rubber grommet(?) behind the clutch pedal is still there. I checked that when I tried to start my car, Yes, it is a manual.
Old 09-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, reading comprehension fail.
That sucks. You could attempt to crimp a new connector to the remains of the braided wire, but if there is not sufficient wire length to work with it may not work.

If you cannot see the other end of the wire, it terminates inside the starter motor, which may necessitate complete teardown of the starter. Even then you'd have to be able to find a suitable replacement wire.

At the shop--- it would get the starter replaced. Quick, simple, warrantable.

EDIT:: Got an auto electric rebuilder in your town?
Old 09-05-2016
Registered!!

Thank you so much! I have been searching for ground wires as that's what I thought it was. I didn't notice it goes directly into the starter. When I tried to start my car, I was on my way to work (work thirds) and didn't have a lot of time to poke around.

There isn't enough wire to try to recrimp it. I'm assume I do have an auto electric rebuilder as I live in Indianapolis, but it would probably be simpler to just replace the whole thing as it's my only vehicle and the hassle of find someone to drive me around outweighs just purchasing one.

Again, thank you so much!