Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

series of issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon Vlasak is an unknown quantity at this point
series of issues

Alright, so I know every car is different, but yea I had a 2001 ford focus that had a similar issue..

this 1997 honda civic LX.. threw codes

p0705 transmission range sensor fault
p0301 engine misfire cylinder 1
p0302 engine misfire cylinder 2

Had a Similar issue in a 2001 ford focus that I had...

I diagnosed it as such, because in idle this civic cant seem to keep a steady idle it wanders between 1500-3000 rpm.. in drive its fine but when you come to slow down, when the a/t wants to get down shifted or upshifted.. it seems like the engine and or the transmission stumbles cuz they arent communicating with each other..

So i ordered a replacement Transmission range sensor. followed the steps to get at it under the center console under the shifter..... i replace the plug and play sensor like the manual i got says and how i followed on a how to.

Get everything back together, now the car wont even start.. wont ever turn over and try to crank when u turn to start/crank ( III position....

i thought hmm cable might not be clipped in all the way.. nope its clipped together firmly.. so then i though why dont i replace the new one and put back on the old one.. now wont start either.. even if i put the key in the shifter unlock and try to start in n or 1-d4. (its up on blocks cuz im working on other stuff underneath.. rusted brake lines....

It wont restart with either of them plugged in.. I then called a yota dealership near me and talked with one of the head techs about the processes and steps i followed.. they said i did it similar to how they've done it.. they dont seem to know why the car wont start now ... I check the wires ,,fuses etc... it wont crank at all when i go to try to turn to start position... any ideas?
Old 07-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: series of issues

I bet you need to adjust the switch set to get the park and neutral contacts to engage correctly when the shifter is on those positions.
The lights on the gauge cluster SHOULD show P lit up when the shifter is in park, R lit when the shifter is in R position, same for every gear position. If any are not right, something is wrong.

P0705 is not in the list of codes for a 97 Civic. Either you read it wrong or your code reader is wrong.
Maybe P1705?

Misfire codes should be unrelated to the range switch issue. Diagnose accordingly. Plugs, wires, cap, compression test, valve adjustment, etc.

1500-3000 is far too high for any idle speed.
See why.
Got some huge vacuum leak? Stuck IAC?
Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon Vlasak is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i realized that it was not in the right position that plastic slider on the back.. but now another problem.. when i started it now again.. ran fine for a good 10 minutes with no idle problems.. then it started doing the erratic idling problem again.. and when i went to shift it from P thru R to Drive.. transmission started making a VERY nasty noise. went back to P and idles fine for a moment then it goes back to rough idle and then sorta hear a small metal clatter from low on the engine i guess towards the transmission....
Old 07-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

. then it started doing the erratic idling problem again.. and when i went to shift it from P thru R to Drive.. transmission started making a VERY nasty noise. went back to P and idles fine for a moment then it goes back to rough idle

When these idle way too high they can and will surge between 2000 and 1200 repeatedly, that's expected.

You're gonna have to figure out why it's idling too high first. Vacuum leak, IAC stuck open, etc.

Pull the rubber tube off of the throttle body. Look inside the throttle body and find the port(s) that lead to the IAC, use your fingers to plug the port(s) and see if the idle speed comes down to normal (650-700 RPM) or tries to stall the engine. If it comes way down then it's related to whatever is at the end of that passage (IAC, and some older cars used a FITV but I don't think that's on yours). Tap test the IAC?

when i went to shift it from P thru R to Drive.. transmission started making a VERY nasty noise.
BANG! Yeah it will if the engine RPM is far too high. It will try to downshift and GO! as you come to a stop too.

and then sorta hear a small metal clatter from low on the engine i guess towards the transmission....
Get under it and see what's making the noise. Exhaust heat shield rusted apart and rattles?