I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Opinions on sub setup...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions on sub setup...

Hmm...I'm just wonderin' what you guys think about this. I'm going to get two Kicker S12L7's and a JBL BP600.1 amp (600RMS @ 2-ohms, 1200RMS @ 1-ohm). Since the L7's require a 100hz lowpass crossover, I'm also considering adding two 10" Boston Rally Series subs to my setup. My cousin is willing to trade me even for my two Punch XLCs. The XLCs, as I have mentioned before, have a tiny amount of damage that does not affect the SQ. The Bostons, on the other hand, are in perfect shape. They hit pretty hard, and play deep enough to sound more like 12's. I'm thinking about going with the Bostons with a JBL BP150.1 amp (150RMS @ 2-ohms), crossed over somewhere between 200 and 300 hz. I can think of three advantages to adding the Bostons to my setup. One: They can make up for the higher bass that the L7's can't produce. Two: If I want good bass without being beat to death, I can switch off the amp to the L7's and just listen to the Bostons. Three: More SPL!

So, what do you think? Btw, I don't care about trunk space, so that is not an issue!
Old 02-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if this is a home theater setup sounds great [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..

But for car audio.. it's a HELL NO...

All you need is good 6.5" Components up front to cover your Midbass section. The subs should actually be low passed at about 70Hz if it's a 12db/Octave crossover. Otherwise you'll know where the sound is coming from and your music won't sound as it should. If you want great midbass at a reasonable price get Focal 165v components (polyglass)

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

Well, you see, the reason I was asking about this is because I already have my front and rear speakers. I didn't think to get components...especially 6.5s, because I thought that you had to modify the opening to fit 6.5s. I don't know if you have to or not, but I'm not going to do any cutting just for a slightly larger speaker. Right now, I have Infinity Reference 502i 5.25's for the front, and Infinity Reference 6912i 6x9's for the rear. Since I don't have a Civic yet, I don't know how these speakers would sound in it, but I have heard the 502i's in another car, and they sound really good. They hit a lot harder than I expected 'em to. Anyway, going by what I have right now, do you still think it's a bad idea? Also, this doesn't have anything to do with the Bostons, but a guy at school has two 10" L7s...should I see about getting those instead? I mean, I've heard that the S10L7s play as deep as most 12's...maybe deeper in some cases. I'm thinking of trading my Compaq laptop for 'em. It would be worth it to me, because the subs are worth about $500, and that's about how much my laptop's worth. So, what do you think?
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

Btw, in the above post, I meant get the S10L7s instead of the S12L7s...and possibly say to hell with the Bostons.
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the L7's, The Infinities should have decent enough Midbass. Still don't low pass your subs higher than 90Hz or they will sound pretty sloppy in a car. You can fit 6.5's in a civics doors with out any mods to the doors. But for good midbass you need dedicated components and a decent amp for them.

Cheers
Mohawk