Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car is throwing off P1163 again

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sekhonjatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Car is throwing off P1163 again

So i recently changed my exhaust manifold because the previous one had a crack on it and my car was throwing a cel of P1163 ( slow o2 sensor response). So when i changed that i went and drove like 50 miles and the cel popped up with the same error code. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the car ?

Is the o2 sensor going bad. If it is then can you please tell me which one it is?

Thank you
Old 06-22-2013
Registered!!

Re: Car is throwing off P1163 again

bump?
Old 06-22-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Same answer as last time. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...rror-code.html If you really want, toss another sensor at it and see what happens. Use the correct sensor though, don't be a tightwad. Look for the name stamped on the side of the original sensor (NTK or DENSO) and get the exact same sensor (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...t.asp?mode=nml or http://www.densoautoparts.com/oxygen-af-sensors). It's the front sensor, and it is not an O2 sensor. You have 5 wires, or 7 wires? It uses an A/F or wideband sensor. Do NOT let the pushers at the Zoo shove any other part up your bum. The car will not like a Bosch sensor.
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Same answer as last time. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...rror-code.html If you really want, toss another sensor at it and see what happens. Use the correct sensor though, don't be a tightwad. Look for the name stamped on the side of the original sensor (NTK or DENSO) and get the exact same sensor (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...t.asp?mode=nml or http://www.densoautoparts.com/oxygen-af-sensors). It's the front sensor, and it is not an O2 sensor. You have 5 wires, or 7 wires? It uses an A/F or wideband sensor. Do NOT let the pushers at the Zoo shove any other part up your bum. The car will not like a Bosch sensor.
So is it the upstream sensor ? i have a 5 wire wide-band sensor and i originally replaced it with the factory OEM NTK sensor (http://www.oxygensensor.net/ntk_o2/24300.php)

As i mentioned before the upstream sensor had a black carbon soot while the downstream sensor had a white soot. So i am not sure which one is bad.

Secondly, about that ECM testing, what tools do i need to have in order to do the DTC freeze frame data ? or should i get this done from a mechanic ?
Old 06-23-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sekhonjatt
So is it the upstream sensor ? i have a 5 wire wide-band sensor and i originally replaced it with the factory OEM NTK sensor (http://www.oxygensensor.net/ntk_o2/24300.php)
You said 10k miles ago, right? Leave it alone, it's probably good. (Unless you blew a head gasket or sprayed silicone in the air intake.)
As i mentioned before the upstream sensor had a black carbon soot while the downstream sensor had a white soot. So i am not sure which one is bad.
#1 You are completely ignoring the definition of the code. #2 Neither sensor is necessarily bad. Soot does not make them bad. You are looking for the wrong things. A sensor that is bad does not have to be physically broken to be bad.
Secondly, about that ECM testing, what tools do i need to have in order to do the DTC freeze frame data ?
Same way you got the code out of it. A better code reader would have the capability to display FF data.
or should i get this done from a mechanic ?
Don't waste your money there. Don't waste your money on yet another sensor. You already have an assumed good front O2 sensor. You need the updated ECM (computer) as described in the bulletin from your other thread I linked earlier. Should be plug and play if you can find an updated unit.
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Ok so following are the pictures from the OBII reader. So can you guys let me know if my ECM/ECU is good or if this ECM needs an update?

Also, do you think the dealership will be of any help?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370[1].jpg
Views:	178
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	85306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	85307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372[1].jpg
Views:	131
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	85308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	85309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374[1].jpg
Views:	98
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	85310  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	85311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376[1].jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	85312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377[1].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	85313  
Old 06-23-2013

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4633935

All the info needed is in that post. Even better if you can get an actual copy of the bulletin, but it's all there.

It looks to me like you are a candidate for the computer replacement. If you can follow the directions in the bulletin to obtain the correct replacement computer, you should only need a dealer to get it for you......IF it is even available. I can't tell you if they are still available or not.
Old 06-24-2013
Registered!!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4633935

All the info needed is in that post. Even better if you can get an actual copy of the bulletin, but it's all there.

It looks to me like you are a candidate for the computer replacement. If you can follow the directions in the bulletin to obtain the correct replacement computer, you should only need a dealer to get it for you......IF it is even available. I can't tell you if they are still available or not.
Is there any other cheaper alternative ? Those ECM costs around $500
Old 06-24-2013

Wow.

Originally Posted by sekhonjatt
Is there any other cheaper alternative ?
Those ECM costs around $500
That's far too cheap for the ECMs in that bulletin. A random pick is $708 at Majestic. MSRP is over $1k for each of the 4 choices.

If you can actually get the correct ECM for 500, then that's already one hell of a discount and you should quitcherbitchin.

You want cheap? Keep your code reader plugged in and just erase the code whenever it pops up.
Old 06-24-2013
Registered!!

Re: Wow.

That's far too cheap for the ECMs in that bulletin. A random pick is $708 at Majestic. MSRP is over $1k for each of the 4 choices.

If you can actually get the correct ECM for 500, then that's already one hell of a discount and you should quitcherbitchin.

You want cheap? Keep your code reader plugged in and just erase the code whenever it pops up.
Well in that case, i'll just sell this car. I am done dropping money on this B*tch..Lol..

But thanks for the help ezone.