Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Soft Brakes/ No EBrake

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kalypso is an unknown quantity at this point
Soft Brakes/ No EBrake

I have a 1997 Civic LX...no ABS, non vtec. Over the past year I have been having a problem with my brakes, they feel spongy and I have no Ebrake at all. The light doesn't come on either, but I believe the bulb is blown, because it doesn't even come on during startup.

Anyway, I've taken it to a shop (because I'm too pressed for time to deal with drum brakes and MC) First time, they replaced a bad MC. For about 4-5 weeks or so, my brakes felt perfect, and I had an ebrake (no the light didn't come on at all then either.) After that, they slowly went back to being spongy and no Ebrake. I recently took it in and the shop said the adjusters were messed up. They replaced them, picked it up at everything felt perfect. Now I can feel it start to become spongy again and my ebrake is slowly starting to work less and less.

Any Ideas?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soft Brakes/ No EBrake

Bleed the brakes and do another adjustment on the ebrake cable. When is the last time the brakes were changed? Did they use an aftermarket MC?
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

The rears are at about 50%, the fronts were changed less than 3 months ago. Bleeding the brakes doesn't seem to do anything. Yes, they used an aftermarket MC, however this was happening with OEM as wel.
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

Also, I just took out the cluster, the brake bulb was burnt out. Now the light stays on, however my fluid level is fine.
Old 04-10-2013
Registered!!

jimmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

just adjust your back brakes you only need a screw driver adjust them so you can just barley put the drum back on
Old 04-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

To me, honestly... It sounds like you have a small hydraulic leak somewhere... Over time the brakes get spongy. You get work done to it, they work for a while then get spongy again. Do a nice long bleed where your removing most of the old fluid and see if the pedal response is any different. The rears just need to be adjusted. When doing major work like MC or caliper changes its in your best interest to bleed them when you do it and then again a couple weeks after to make sure all the air is out. Look for leaks though. You also need to figure out why that light is on.
Old 04-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
To me, honestly... It sounds like you have a small hydraulic leak somewhere... Over time the brakes get spongy. You get work done to it, they work for a while then get spongy again. Do a nice long bleed where your removing most of the old fluid and see if the pedal response is any different. The rears just need to be adjusted. When doing major work like MC or caliper changes its in your best interest to bleed them when you do it and then again a couple weeks after to make sure all the air is out. Look for leaks though. You also need to figure out why that light is on.
That quite possibly could be it. I just added fluid to the MC and the light went off. It wasn't at the min, but it needed off. I'm going to pressure check it later.