Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No start in 99 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tennant34 is an unknown quantity at this point
No start in 99 civic ex

i was on my way to work last tuesday and all at once it quit on me and wouldnt start back up. towed it home and put the code scanner on it and this is what it said
p1259-vtec system malfunction
p1337-CSF Sensor No Signal
p0325-knock sensor malfunction(been on since i got the car)
p0505-idle air control malfunction
p0420-catalyst system effieciency below threshold bank 1

this summer i had a knock and crank sensor put in it, new alternator and belt, battery, timing belt was done right before i got it. i tried a new distributer tuesday but it didnt work, fuel pump is running, bought another computer for it, still nothing. im at a loss on what to do for it. its just my work car to save miles on my trucks but its nice to run it. any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No start in 99 civic ex

p1259-vtec system malfunction
Is the oil full?

all at once it quit on me and wouldnt start back up
See if it has lost spark.
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tennant34 is an unknown quantity at this point

oil was about 1/4 qt low and no didnt have spark
Old 03-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Concentrate on the no spark, that's the apparent problem right now.

Is the coil any good?
Probably the most common problem I see here is a weak or bad coil when there is no spark.

If you don't know when all the codes set or how long they were in the computer, I'd erase the codes and then chase them as they return.
P0420, cat.
P0325, KS.
P0505, the PCM couldn't control the idle speed for some reason.
P1259, sets for any issue with the VTEC. Oil pressure switch was not in the expected state at some time.
P1337: Look for the wires to the crankshaft sensor out of place along the side of the timing cover and got chewed by the alternator belt. Common after a timing belt job.
I don't think this will keep the engine from running, the sensor is only for misfire detection on 6th gen AFAIK.