Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

steaming engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
discotu is an unknown quantity at this point
steaming engine

Hi All, first time here...wish it started out on better terms Anyway, i have a 1996 Civic and I thought i blew the head gasket yesterday...Steaming engine and coolant was milky...though the engine oil on the dip stick didn't apear to be contaminated. I checked again this morning and isolated the steam to the area noted in the picture. Not sure where exactly but doesn't appear to be near the head gasket. ANy ideas?

thanks in advance!

Name:  DSC_6795_zps6199abfd.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  86.4 KB
Old 01-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: steaming engine

You have a whole lot of mess there, looks like years and years worth of oil leaks and grime. Clean it all spotless and start over.
If you can get it all spotless, then throw a bunch of powder all over (ordinary bath talc). Fresh leaks show amazingly well in white powder.

Whatever WAS smoking came from somewhere else. The powder can help you figure out the path it took. And help figure out what it was.

Was the radiator low?
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s4boost should not be trusted
Re: steaming engine

^what he said. if your coolant is milky thats no good. drain your oil and see what it looks like. clean that up with some brake parts cleaner and then check it after 20 miles