I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

5 pin switch wiring, please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chilling_pete is an unknown quantity at this point
5 pin switch wiring, please HELP!!

I have grown a lot of respect for electrical work. Always thought it was as easy as just splicing wires together..The switch for my fog burnt out and i bought a replacement. it has 5 pins and the foglight has 4 wires, 1 black, 2 red, and 1 yellow. I got the basics checked off black is ground and have it already wired to the pin. I am trying to set it up that the switch light only turns on when the lights are on.
I tried putting the two reds together but still a no go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.02.18 AM.png
Views:	633
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	89063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4767.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	89064  
Old 08-30-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 5 pin switch wiring, please HELP!!

Where do the 2 red and yellow wire go? Relay?
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Where do the 2 red and yellow wire go? Relay?
One of the red is coming from the fuse box under the steering wheel. The other red and yellow are coming in from the harness, where i feed it through the firewall. The relay is located in the engine bay.
Old 08-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Bet you can find a bazillion diagrams here:

http://www.the12volt.com/
Old 08-30-2016
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ that website helped with my remote start install. It was a good resource but I still verified all the wires before connecting.

Since I don't know what kit you have I can only assume what the colors are. Do you have a multimeter?

I would expect it to be wired similiar to this with the power for the light jumping over and the yellow wire being the coil (+):

Name:  FogLightWiring.png
Views: 7945
Size:  168.4 KB
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

^ that website helped with my remote start install. It was a good resource but I still verified all the wires before connecting.

Since I don't know what kit you have I can only assume what the colors are. Do you have a multimeter?

I would expect it to be wired similiar to this with the power for the light jumping over and the yellow wire being the coil (+):

That seems about right. The kit i bought was from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I have had one of the reds with the yellow on the accessory pins as shown on the switch diagram? When I tried that the light was constantly on even with the car off.
Old 08-31-2016
Prelude Owner

I have that same kit and never installed it. I don't know where it as the moment though.

It looks like the red from the fuse box goes the acc, the yellow to the (+), black on (-) and other red you don't need because the switch you have has the pins soldered together.
Old 08-31-2016
Registered!!

I have that same kit and never installed it. I don't know where it as the moment though.

It looks like the red from the fuse box goes the acc, the yellow to the (+), black on (-) and other red you don't need because the switch you have has the pins soldered together.
Thank you ill give that a try and hopefully it works. I will post an update with the results.
Old 08-31-2016
Prelude Owner

sounds good.

I am guessing that instead of jumping the pins together at the switch the original switch had the power wire coming from the relay where it was tapped there. If I could find my fog lights I could look at them and tell.
Old 09-01-2016
Registered!!

sounds good.

I am guessing that instead of jumping the pins together at the switch the original switch had the power wire coming from the relay where it was tapped there. If I could find my fog lights I could look at them and tell.
So i tried doing as you said but it didnt work.
Old 09-01-2016
Prelude Owner

What happened?

Do you have a volt meter? Test light?
Old 09-01-2016
Registered!!

What happened?

Do you have a volt meter? Test light?
No but i can go buy a test light. When i set the wires as you recommended..i kind of heard something weird. Checked the fuse and its fine. maybe bad relay?
Old 09-01-2016
Prelude Owner

Weird like a fast clicking sound? Might have been the relay coil going on and off.
Old 09-01-2016
Registered!!

Weird like a fast clicking sound? Might have been the relay coil going on and off.
yea i believe so and it only happend when i had it wired like that. when i changed it back to red for positive and yellow for acc so the switch light would not be constantly on i did not hear it
Old 09-01-2016
Prelude Owner

So when you had it red (+) and yellow (acc) the light was not on but the switch wouldn't turn on the relay?

What red? The one from the fuse box?

The light stays on when you have the red from the fuse panel hooked to (+) correct?

You actually have a test light with your switch. What wires when hooked to the (+) make the light turn on?
Old 09-02-2016
Registered!!

So when you had it red (+) and yellow (acc) the light was not on but the switch wouldn't turn on the relay?

The light stays on when you have the red from the fuse panel hooked to (+) correct?

You actually have a test light with your switch. What wires when hooked to the (+) make the light turn on?
correct the light would not turn on, however the switch light would. when i tried red wire on the acc the switch light would stay on weather on or off and thats when i heard the strange sound. I just got a new relay so ill try both combinations again with that.
Old 09-16-2016
Registered!!

sorry for the late response hectic few weeks. So i tried it out with the new relay and still a no go..could it be the switch?
Old 09-20-2016
Prelude Owner

Sorry for the delay.

It could be the switch but it would help if you could tell me exactly where each wire is going. Which pin(s) on the relay. I am assuming the wiring and it's not working to well.

If you get a basic ohm/volt meter from HF you can test the switch.
Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

Sorry for the delay.

It could be the switch but it would help if you could tell me exactly where each wire is going. Which pin(s) on the relay. I am assuming the wiring and it's not working to well.

If you get a basic ohm/volt meter from HF you can test the switch.
I have it wired like the diagram shows and have both reds hooked together. Maybe the switch is bad. However it does light up. Ill go to the store see if i can find another one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.02.18 AM.png
Views:	341
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	89124  
Old 09-25-2016
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by chilling_pete
I have it wired like the diagram shows and have both reds hooked together.
How is it wired to the car? You said one red goes to the fuse box, where does the other go? The relay, what pin? The other wires, where do they go in the car?