I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Battery light stays on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery light stays on!!!

Hey All
'04 SE that has a battery light on that won't go out. Alternate and battery 3 months old and check fine on the meter. I removed and cleaned the terminals even though they were clean. Meter reads 12.6 amps off, 10+ cranking starter and 14.5 running. All fuses look good and continuity tested good. Body to engine ground is new.Is there anything else common with this Gen I should be looking at??? Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Battery light stays on!!!

Key ON, engine OFF
Unplug the round 4 wire connector from the alternator
Did the battery light turn off?
Old 07-24-2016
Registered!!

Pulled the connector with engine off and battery light stayed on.
My daughter was driving it later that day and I was in front of her and noticed the lights very bright. I put my voltage meter on it and it was reading 17 volts while running and the battery was at 14.8 with it off. I can only assume its a voltage regulator. I am getting it changed tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix it. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, your first post has running voltage looking fairly normal at 14.5v. It's gone to he!! since then huh?

Overcharging should be caused by a bad voltage regulator. Usual fix is replacing the alternator. Cheapo remans (from parts stores open on Sunday) are cheap for a reason, so beware.

If the SRS warning light wasn't already on, it would come on due to high voltage and leave no codes.

Does it stink like sulfur? Boiling the battery can ruin it, so have it checked too.

Make SURE all of the alternator mounting bolts are tight. Poor grounding of the alternator housing can burn out the PCM, and that gets expensive in a hurry.
Old 07-24-2016
Registered!!

I agree with the cheapo alternators. I'm getting it rebuilt in the morning. No sulphur smell and the battery seems fine. Everything was tight and clean as I installed the new alternator about 4 months ago. Thanks for all your input. I will post again after the alternator is rebuilt and in. Cheers
Old 07-28-2016
Registered!!

So it appears that if you have a low battery in your multimeter, it will read high voltage!!!!!! I still brought the alternator to the auto electric shop and had the voltage regulator replaced, it checked out good on the tester, re-installed it and the battery light still is on. Battery now reads 14.6V running and 12.8V not running. Anyone have any ideas??
Old 08-10-2016

Forgot about this thread, sorry.

Unplug the 4 wire connection from the alternator: Does the charge light stay on or go out?

Follow a troubleshooting guide on the charging system warning light.
Could be wiring,
Could be a problem in the PCM, gauge cluster, or MICU (multiplex unit).

Do the gauge cluster self test, make sure the charge light blinks along with the rest of the lights.
MICU is well known for causing multiple problems when it flakes out, do you have several other weird electrical problems going on?
Old 08-13-2016
Registered!!

It seemed to be working perfectly after the voltage regulator replacement even thou the battery light was still on but it died on my daughter the other night. I think it's time to put her to bed. 485,000 Kms is enough I guess...lol. Gonna buy a new CRV. Thanks for all the help everyone!!