I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

How do you get those two screws for the head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortys123 is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you get those two screws for the head unit?

The two screws above the 12V socket that need to come out appear to be 8MM but my socket slides off them, and a screw driver starts to strip them. They are lock nuts i think.
Old 11-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: How do you get those two screws for the head unit?

They're 8mm iirc, if the socket is sliding off then try a 6mm.

Don't put them back in when you re-install everything, I tossed mine and have had no problems.
Old 11-10-2011
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Theyre defiantly 8mm (I had to take them off today). And the only reason i put them back in is to make it a little harder on thieves to steal my headunit haha.
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

yea, those little screws are retarded and they strip so easily. Also it's easy to over torque them and break them off.
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Any time you have a choice between a screwdriver and a socket go for the socket.

A little tip is to take the socket and put up on the ratchet as you unscrew them. Its a weird position but try to push up as your unscrewing it helps.
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

o those two screws caused me a lot of grief... took me forever to take apart the centre console just to get those screws the first time i installed my aftermarket deck. fast forward a few months, i needed to remove my deck so i went through all the work of taking out the centre console only to realize i never ended up putting those two screws the last time i installed the deck! man did i feel stupid
Old 11-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, having the whole dash torn apart is much better than having them pull out just the center piece that you can replace on ebay for $20.

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Theyre defiantly 8mm (I had to take them off today). And the only reason i put them back in is to make it a little harder on thieves to steal my headunit haha.
Old 11-11-2011
Registered!!

MonKy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raigen18
o those two screws caused me a lot of grief... took me forever to take apart the centre console just to get those screws the first time i installed my aftermarket deck. fast forward a few months, i needed to remove my deck so i went through all the work of taking out the centre console only to realize i never ended up putting those two screws the last time i installed the deck! man did i feel stupid

when i had my hu installed the installer didn't put the screws back in.. so now i can grab the hu housing n rip it out
Old 11-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, nobody re-uses them. They're pretty much all like that.
Old 11-12-2011
Registered!!

Still haven't gotten them off. An 8mm slips off the nut so to say. The nut appears to have little notches on it, some sort of safety nut. They really didn't want anyone to steal the radio.
Old 11-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Have you tried vice grips, kind of a weird angle, not sure if they'd fit..
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

What the heck are the nuts even securing? You can reach your finger around the bracket and touch the threads. I can't get the nuts off I'm literly drilling right through the nuts. You wont be able to see the mess in the end anyway.
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

Got it in finally