Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ak can only hope to improve
Transmission Cooler

Does anyone have one? What model did you get? How much?

I'm planning on buying one below $60. I read that it basically prevents your tranny from heating up too much and in the long run it will help it shift like a champ!

Sounds like a good preventive mod.

-ak
Old 03-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
If I were to buy one(I have a manual tranny so no need here) I would look at the LPD style ones. Tru-Cool and B&M make them(B&M OEM them from Tru-Cool I think). Theyre nice since they allow fluid to flow regardless of outside temp and are more durable to rocks and debris.

Its kind of debatable though if you need one. Some peeps say thats its always good to have one installed for extra protection while others say you really only need if you race or tow.

What might be better is to first install a tranny fluid temp gauge, Auotmeter makes a few different ones. If you look around the net you'll see charts that say the ideal auto tranny temp is about 175F. Then for every 20F it rises, tranny life decreases by 50%.

How do I know all of this? Well when I replaced my 700R4 tranny in my Chevy truck with a high performance one I wanted to monitor my temps so it wouldnt burn up and had to keep it cool since I had a high stall torque converter.

FWIW
Old 03-17-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ak can only hope to improve
Ahhh.thanks. I will look into the Tru-Cool, B&M, and Hayden coolers.

And the temp gauge thing, nah... too much for me. I just wanna spend under $60 all together.

Thanks a lot for the advice.