I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2010 civic headlight relay location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jenom is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 civic headlight relay location?

trying to idiot proof 2010 civic, so headlight will be on ONLY when engine running....no more accidently leaving lights on and drain the battery !
Normally this can be done by connecting the coil of headlight relay to IGNITION 12 V instead of CONSTANT (Battery) 12 V.
Unfortunately, I can not even find headlight relay .....it is none of the relays in the engine comparment fusebox.
Any suggestion ?
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 civic headlight relay location?

Get a wiring diagram for the car to see how it all works.

The headlight operation is controlled by the MICU, which is built into the dash fusebox. There are no external relays that you can easily mess with.
Old 11-17-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Exactly,

So the vintage Nissan "key in ignition" sound you get when lights left on and door open is not enough ??

Certainly gets my attention.
Old 11-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW

So the vintage Nissan "key in ignition" sound you get when lights left on and door open is not enough ??

Certainly gets my attention.
You know, I've been in the trade for OMFG 30ish years and I can ignore almost all warning alarms except a few of the GMs that play through the door speaker and some Fords that use old VW/Euro sounds (Focus comes to mind).

I can work all day with the little chime in my ear, I'm immune to it.

They gotta be *screaming air horn loud* before I pay attention (just ask my ex!). And yeah, I've wandered off and left keys in and lights on.
Thank Gawd my car will eventually turn the lights off if I forget (10 minutes I think, 12LX without auto lights).

And.....all headlights become "Auto-Off" sooner or later.
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

yes, AUTO-OFF with some delay will be nice......eventually HONDA will catch up with others in 5-10 years

I do not even understand what is logic beyond to have headlight on without engine running......kill the battery so they can sell more ?

yes, the warning sound was not obviously notable enough to warn the driver.....too many things are beeping there all the time

Meanwhile, if it is too complicated to attack the actual switching unit under the dash, then I am going to focus instead on a light switch on the steering wheel something like this:
---interrupt the headlight on wire and route it thru an additional relay, so it will pass signal (ground) through only when ignition is on,
Old 11-17-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The headlight switch on your 8th gen is low current switching lines to micu, so it should be a pretty simple modding.

Toyota used to have a pretty cool auto systems, likely only on higher end models now. (twilight sentinal, and auto off with door opening)
Old 11-17-2013

Originally Posted by jenom
eventually HONDA will catch up with others in 5-10 years
There's a lot of stuff like this.
I do not even understand what is logic beyond to have headlight on without engine running......kill the battery so they can sell more ?
I dislike lights wired for only key-on operation, myself.
---interrupt the headlight on wire and route it thru an additional relay, so it will pass signal (ground) through only when ignition is on,
Interrupt the BLACK wire at the headlight switch to do this. (Terminal 12, in a corner of the connector.)

HTH
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

Quote:
I dislike lights wired for only key-on operation, myself.

--the only practical reason I can think to have headlight on without engine running will be for test/troubleshooting/repair of headlight circuit
Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread I know. My 91 old , heavy brick , Volvo 740 has this great feature. Ignition off ...headlights off...love it!