Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 2008 lost keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdraza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic 2008 lost keys

Day before yesterday I lost my car keys, I had to get my car towed to Honda dealer ship to get new keys and they charged almost $250 for new key. Isn't it too much. Can only honda dealer make new keys for car? thanks
Old 08-28-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Honda Civic 2008 lost keys

You paid full retail for key....and they need HDS to link the key & immobilizer properly.

I was warned when buying my 2010 about the $$$.
Old 08-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't lose your keys.
Always have a backup plan.

Not cheap, and they have you by the short hairs.

Some (few) locksmiths have invested in equipment to make and program keys for Hondas, but none in my town do. Dealer only here.

Rental car places all have warnings on the key tags telling you about how expensive it will be if you have to replace their keys.
Old 04-06-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronbills11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Unfortunately had the same situation before. Here is some useful information that’s helped me save a lot of time and money. Hope it will help you as well:

I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.

Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.

It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:

1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.

2.Tow the car to the dealer.

3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).

Here is the link to read more:

https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/honda/civic/

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:

1.Year, make and model of the car

2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)

3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important

4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.

There are 3 main types of keys:

Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)

Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make

Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.

The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.

Here is the link for some additional information:

https://lost-car-keys-replacement.co...lacement-cost/

good luck!