Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Key programmers - replacing Key '08 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Key programmers - replacing Key '08 Civic

I searched this on the forums but didn't want to revive a thread from 2012.

Has anyone here used a key programmer on a key blank from ebay to make it start the car?

I have seen youtube videos where people program the remotes using an existing key - for door locks etc - but that doesn't program the immobilizer part of the key.

So what has your experience been with this whole key issue? The dealer here charges $91 per key and $90 for programming. So for two keys it would be $271 and I suppose tax on top of that. Trying to find a way not to give the dealer $300.
Old 09-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Key programmers - replacing Key '08 Civic

FYI on that car the immobilizer chip is inside the remote transmitter (when you have that type of key), and when that chip is programmed the transmitter is also programmed at the same time.

Ignore that if you're doing a plain black or gray key. It's still got a chip embedded in the head of the key, just no transmitter.

Programming ANYTHING key/immobilizer related on your car related requires the correct scan tool.

======

The dealer here charges $91 per key and $90 for programming. So for two keys it would be $271 and I suppose tax on top of that. Trying to find a way not to give the dealer $300.
Keys might be $XX.xx each.

Programming keys should be a single flat fee no matter how many keys you have done at the same time, because they connect the scanner ONE time to do all the keys.

Make sure you get that clear with your dealer first---nail down the math and numbers first, in writing if necessary LOL.

Check local locksmiths, a well equipped locksmith in a decent size town would probably have the equipment to program Hondas keys.
In my little burg, the locksmith shop only does GM/Ford/Chrysler programming.
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

Chalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you ezone. I will double check with my dealer on the programming fees, as you suggested.
Old 09-16-2017
Registered!!

Thundar is an unknown quantity at this point

Also they have to call Honda hotline to get permission to get right code to do programming code last time I had to do new ECU redo like $50... edited but find a Honda guy shop or dealer they will do it right, cause if wrong your car is F*ucked just pay to do right.

Last edited by Thundar; 09-16-2017 at 07:51 PM.