Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange Squeak and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iloch138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange Squeak and TPMS

Hey guys, wife has a 2010 honda civic lx 4 door, its used as a daily work driver. She has been complaining of a random low speed squeak that until the other day I wasnt able to recreate. I was sitting in traffic and after releasing the brake and allowing the car to start propelling itself I could hear a squeak that seemed to rotate-- ie-- squeak...squeak...squeak...
The sound would go away if i pressed the brakes or once I sped up enough. after a little while i wasnt able to get the sound to come back, then again today got it to repeat with the same findings. Any advice? Im leaning towards wheel bearings but unsure.

Also her TPMS light came one the other day and as im unfamiliar with repairing that system im not sure how to diagnose which sensor is bad. Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-14-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Strange Squeak and TPMS

Originally Posted by iloch138
after releasing the brake and allowing the car to start propelling itself I could hear a squeak that seemed to rotate-- ie-- squeak...squeak...squeak...

The sound would go away if i pressed the brakes
What's the thickness of the front brake pads remaining ???

Which tpms light are you getting ??
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

im at 5mm on the front pads- Usually change them at 3mm- give or take motivation.

The TPMS light- their is the low tire pressure light and the actual TPMS light- owners manual says its a fault somewhere in the system.
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

Its strange, whenever I have had a pad issue in the past it only squeaked when I applied the brake- in this instance the squeak goes away when I brake.
Old 08-14-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Use the inspection slot toward the front of caliper and check the inner pads, my outside looked ok, but inner was scary. (at 75K miles for me)

What's the total mileage ??
Old 08-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iloch138
Its strange, whenever I have had a pad issue in the past it only squeaked when I applied the brake- in this instance the squeak goes away when I brake.

Because the squealer is on the leading edge-- if the pads were installed correctly. Tab design allows more vibration when in reverse, at first contact.

If the pads were installed with the squealer on the trailing edge, it would probably make more noise going forward...at first.

Craig is right, these often wear the inboard pad faster than the outboard pad. The pad can wear at a slight angle too, so one end may be much thinner than the other.

The butt icon (_!_) is low tire, the TPMS word is a system problem. The typical cause is a dying or dead sensor, but the other day someone posted here that her cellphone charger was causing her TPMS light to come on due to RF interference.