Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 Coupe Manual Transmission AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sixout is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Coupe Manual Transmission AC issue

Ok, I started having this problem back in February.

The ac works fine sometimes. Other times, it'll just stop blowing cold air. It'll keep blowing air, but it'll be hot. First instinct is that it needs a charge. Nope, it's full. No room for any more. It's not a relay because it's still blowing.

Honda wants to charge me 115 to just look at the car, and are estimating it'll be roughly 1800 to 2500 to fix the problem. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it could be anything fixable on my own?

It works sometimes, it'll randomly kick on and start blowing cool air on long drives for a while. Then go back to hot air. Sometimes it'll work for a day, once it went for a whole week then stopped again. I just have no idea what to do.

Help?
Old 06-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 Coupe Manual Transmission AC issue

Originally Posted by sixout
It's not a relay because it's still blowing.
Wrong assumption. False logic.

Get it to quit blowing cold, and then tap on the clutch relay. See what happens.
Old 06-27-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Wrong assumption. False logic.

Get it to quit blowing cold, and then tap on the clutch relay. See what happens.
everyone I've talked to has said that, so I assumed. I know nothing about ac units. I had another person on another forum just mention the clutch as well. I'll have to check this out tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Read this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nt-engage.html

This person also claimed "and relay is good."

There are several things involved, more than just "a relay". If tapping on it doesn't help, then it's a place to start the diagnosis.

HTH
Old 06-27-2012
Registered!!

So I tapped the relay, immediately there was a click, and then cold air started blowing out.

you guys are amazing. I don't know how even the mechanic I took it to said it was an electrical problem and he couldn't fix it.
Old 06-27-2012

Originally Posted by sixout
So I tapped the relay, immediately there was a click, and then cold air started blowing out.

you guys are amazing. I don't know how even the mechanic I took it to said it was an electrical problem and he couldn't fix it.
Lots of people work on cars. Far fewer can solve certain problems and fix them.

Electricity is sorta like the "final frontier" for most mechanics. Electronics is far worse for them, and computers are OMFG RUN AWAY.
It's treated like some kind of black art voodoo, because an easy 85% of the people in this trade have little to no understanding of it.

At my first real wrenching job, the boss called me "Fusebox".

Go to a dealer, buy the updated relay mentioned in that thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4607316

Ask for that part number, do not accept any substitute.
Don't even tell them what it is for, just get that part number.

We keep a few of the updated relays on hand at work.
Updated relay is black and says MITSUBA on top.

It is the exact same relay (location) as the one on the car in that other thread.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 06-27-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: mispellin erroror
Old 06-28-2012
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Soooo is this like the main relays in civics of old that went bad when the solder joints cracked? If so a quick resolder will fix it and make it more reliable since the solder we get is better than whatever the factory got!

-SP
Old 06-28-2012

Originally Posted by speedy25
Soooo is this like the main relays in civics of old that went bad when the solder joints cracked?
Nope.
It's a simple plain relay.
Contacts get pitted.
Replace the damned thing and be done with it.
Old 06-28-2012

Here is something else I thought of:

Ask for that part number, do not accept any substitute.
Don't even tell them what it is for, just get that part number.
The people in our parts department don't even know about it. (Or can't be bothered to learn about and remember it.)
I have to pick this relay myself.