Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2005 civic si rough idle, poor fuel economy after timimg belt change

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sledhead911 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 civic si rough idle, poor fuel economy after timimg belt change

I brought my perfectly running car to the honda dealer for the timing belt change out as suggested by the service manual for the 6 year mark. Upon getting it back, it has a rough idle and the fuel milage is really poor. I used to get 650 km per tank, now getting 450 km. I've had it back to check timing marks and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it. I'm really mad about their sloppy work and I have been hung out to dry on this one. I've been trying to repair this on my own and am looking for suggestions. Here's what I've done.....New OEM plugs, gaped to spec, new air filter, shecked for vacuum hoses or electrical disconnected. I'm on my second tank of 91 octane, ethonal free fuel with a fuel injector cleaner put through the system. All this and no change, still shakes the car at an idle when at operating temperature and still poor gas milage. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP?
Old 12-29-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough
Re: 2005 civic si rough idle, poor fuel economy after timimg belt change

I've had it back to check timing marks and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it.
This is why I hate taking my car to places...See if the shop who did the work on your car will let you get a second opinion and they pay for it...If they are so confident about their work, this should be no problem IMO.

I've been trying to repair this on my own and am looking for suggestions.
Stop doing your own work, anything you do can void that warranty with the shop.
Old 12-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If the problem is the timing I'll be absolutely shocked.
Old 12-29-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

is your Check Engine Light on? Even if it's not, go to an auto store that let's you use the scanner for free and check, just in case your MIL is out or disconnected...

Oil level?
Radiator Fluid level?