Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

2003 Civic Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
circtest is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic Aftermarket Radio

Is there anything special you need to do after installing an aftermarket stereo on the 2003 Civic? I've noticed when I turn the key on after wiring the new stereo, the odometer shows the vehicle mileage instead of the trip meter where I had it set to. The reason I'm asking is because the new stereo I installed has no power what so ever. I've checked the wiring/fuses about a dozen times now and compared it to diagrams found online. I went by what my repair manual says and the online diagrams are the same as well. I don't get why the radio won't work. So I'm trying to find out if it is something I did or didn't do, or I got a dead radio.
Old 08-30-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2003 Civic Aftermarket Radio

How did you attach your wires? If you bought a harness adapter it's probably more likely that one of the power leads is bad instead of the entire radio (if the radios brand new). There's also a fuse on the back of some aftermarket radio's, check that if you haven't. Also (and this is probably your answer) check the fuse labeled "back up" in the under hood fuse box, alot of people don't check that one.
Old 08-30-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Check "back up" fuse in under-hood fusebox. (constant power items)

May want to double check connections made to aftermarkets "dimmer" lead before you get it powered up.
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

The radio is new, just bought it yesterday. I chopped the factory connector off and connected the wires according to the diagram in the repair manual to the installation manual for the radio. I used butt connectors. So, would this "backup" fuse cause no reading on the volt meter then, for the battery power wire(white/red)? I checked again before work this morning and the fuse in the dash for the radio was blown and replaced it. The fuse on the radio is good. I checked the wiring with a volt meter and got good readings except on the battery wire. I disconnected the power before doing the wiring, so I don't get why the fuses would blow out.

What do you mean by dimmer lead? Is that for illumination? There are two shown in the repair manual and read somewhere else to use the red/black wire, which I did.
Old 08-30-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

The orange and orange/white wires arent used in the civics...you could blow all of your dash lights out.

You really shoul've bought the adapter...its cheap and makes things quick and easy but to each his own.

Butt connectors aren't the best route and it leads me to believe your problem lies there...its easy for wires to be crimped to the plastic part of the butt connector and not the metal, or the crimp only touches the insulation on the wire and not the wire its self.(believe me ive done it before lol).

Recheck all the butt connectors on the power and ground leads. Just to be sure you've connected a 12v constant, a 12v switched and a ground correct? If you're sure all fuses and wiring are correct then it could that be your radio was just doa.

Edit: Ive never seen a red/black wire in all the stereo installs ive done. What hu are you installing?
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...standards.html
^those are the industry standard color codes
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rjones7755
The orange and orange/white wires arent used in the civics...you could blow all of your dash lights out.

You really shoul've bought the adapter...its cheap and makes things quick and easy but to each his own.

Butt connectors aren't the best route and it leads me to believe your problem lies there...its easy for wires to be crimped to the plastic part of the butt connector and not the metal, or the crimp only touches the insulation on the wire and not the wire its self.(believe me ive done it before lol).

Recheck all the butt connectors on the power and ground leads. Just to be sure you've connected a 12v constant, a 12v switched and a ground correct? If you're sure all fuses and wiring are correct then it could that be your radio was just doa.

Edit: Ive never seen a red/black wire in all the stereo installs ive done. What hu are you installing?

I am attempting to install a Pioneer HD radio. Red/black I was referring to is the illumination wire from the vehicles radio wiring, not the wiring that came with the radio. The wire from the radio is orange/white. So you are saying the illumination/dimmer wire is not used? This is becoming a nightmare. I've installed radios in the past with no problem. The wiring was the easy part, not tearing up the dash was the hard part. This time it's the opposite.
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rjones7755

Well, I posted a reply, but didn't show up. The red/black wire, I was referring to the vehicle's radio wiring. So, for grins after reading your post, I chopped off the orange/white(radio), red/black(vehicle) and the radio works. Weird thing is, now my turn signals nor the power door locks work. I've installed radios before and the wiring seemed to be the easy part and not tearing up the dash was the hard part. It feels like the opposite this time. Pfft!
Old 08-30-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Back up fuse would be your constant +12 volt source. WHT/RED appears to be the factory wire color for constant +12 volt.

For the dimmer from the FACTORY HARNESS the RED/BLK is +12 volts when parking/head lights are on and the RED lead is the dimming lead (through the cluster)

Double check dimmer connections before turning on headlights... and never tie the 2 above mentioned lines together.

Last edited by CraigW; 08-30-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: wire color info added
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

I guess the moderator is taking an extended nap. I replied a couple of times earlier today and the posts didn't show up. Anyway, problem solved. I had to replace the backup fuse and disconnected the orange/white from the radio harness and all is good. I'll make a note of the orange/white wire for next time if necessary. Appreciate the information given.
Old 08-30-2012

Glad to hear its working!
Old 08-31-2012
Registered!!

Harborbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

The BMW Navigation DVD we offer here are of high quality. We have the belief that all of our customers can enjoy the power of BMW DVD Navigation. The price of these Aftermarket BMW DVD is reasonable. Take your chance to get these BMW DVD GPS, life will be much different.
Old 02-21-2013
Registered!!

raiven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by circtest
Is there anything special you need to do after installing an aftermarket stereo on the 2003 Civic? I've noticed when I turn the key on after wiring the new stereo, the odometer shows the vehicle mileage instead of the trip meter where I had it set to. The reason I'm asking is because the new stereo I installed has no power what so ever. I've checked the wiring/fuses about a dozen times now and compared it to diagrams found online. I went by what my repair manual says and the online diagrams are the same as well. I don't get why the radio won't work. So I'm trying to find out if it is something I did or didn't do, or I got a dead radio.

i got the same problem buddy did you fix it?? right now i don't have power on the radio either and if i dont connect the ornage wire and orange white wire i dont have illumination in the dashboard as well as the bip that tells you when you leave your lights on honda civic 2002 lx
Old 08-10-2016
Registered!!

dvd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no power when I installed my radio to. I installed a 15 amp fuse in the radio fuse spot under the steering column. It should only take a 7.5 amp. It caused the 10 amp FI ECU fuse to Blow out. That fuse is in the engine compartment. Lesson: Don't replace a fuse with a higher amp fuse. Secondly: run a separate power wire with a fuse directly to your new Head Unit. They take more power! Don't power these radio's with the stock wire harness, they aren't designed to provide that kind of power.