Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Which wire do I use? Help with car alarm please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Which wire do I use? Help with car alarm please!

I have the Matrix RSX 3.5 Car alarm, and the question is, which wires do I use for the auxiliary button? The install guide says use either H2-2 or H2-3 channels. (See attached picture.) but those are just single wires? which wire do I use to go back to the alarm brain? For example if I were to have channel 4 activate a relay, then which wire do I use to go back? I've never done this before. And to be honest, I haven't looked at the alarm brain unit yet, but the wiring guide leads me to believe that there's only one wire per channel? Can you activate a relay with just one wire? I'm lost! If anyone has any input please let me know! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	install.jpg
Views:	7503
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	73696  
Old 02-25-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Which wire do I use? Help with car alarm please!

Those are designed to drive a relay (or anything under 2/10 amp only)

They appear to be - type (sorry not sure of term used) When active they will provide a ground or - for the relay. You will provide a + voltage to one side of relay coil, and the ground for the relay coil will be provided by the alarm through these outputs.

You could test it with a meter, a test lamp or a 12 volt bulb to be sure
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

The red/white wire in the main harness on the brain is directly attached to the AUX button. It is a negative output, yes it can trigger a relay. Pressing and holding the AUX button for 1.5 seconds activates the wire.

What are you trying to hook up to this AUX button?
Old 02-26-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eyger
The install guide says use either H2-2 or H2-3 channels. (See attached picture.) but those are just single wires? which wire do I use to go back to the alarm brain? For example if I were to have channel 4 activate a relay, then which wire do I use to go back?
you don't go back. you give the relay a constant 12v+ signal and it sits there waiting on a ground. when the output channel is activated, it gives the relay a ground and turns it on. then you run your power for your accessory across the contacts of the relay.
Old 02-27-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Ah nice I understand now. Thanks so much for the help. Just to confirm what you said, when you said "Accessory" you're talking about whatever I decide to hook up to the alarm, right?

Edit: I just found a wiring diagram on autoloc's website. check it out.

now the only thing I don't understand is why there are two sets of positive wires entering the relay?

And why do I need a diode? Is there a certain kind of diode or are all diodes the same?

help from anyone would be awesome! Thanks for the teachings!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	setup.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	73725   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	8566
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	73728  

Last edited by Eyger; 02-27-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eyger
Ah nice I understand now. Thanks so much for the help. Just to confirm what you said, when you said "Accessory" you're talking about whatever I decide to hook up to the alarm, right?

Edit: I just found a wiring diagram on autoloc's website. check it out.

now the only thing I don't understand is why there are two sets of positive wires entering the relay?

And why do I need a diode? Is there a certain kind of diode or are all diodes the same?

help from anyone would be awesome! Thanks for the teachings!
a relay has 2 parts. the coil (85 and 86) and the contacts(30 and 87). the coil needs power and ground to pull the contacts in. 1 of your 2 power wires is for the coil. the ground comes from either the alarm or the backup button there. the diode prevents you backfeeding a ground into the alarm when the backup button is pushed. IMO, the button they show is optional. say you were doing a trunk release with this setup. the backup button they show could be on your door or something to pop the trunk from there. that kind of thing. the other power wire you mentioned is feeding power into the contacts of the relay. when the relay energizes, power goes through the contacts to your solenoid. the solenoid can be grounded anywhere. doesn't have to be to the battery like they show.

Last edited by electric130; 02-27-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I agree with 130 he is dead on with this.
Not that it matters but the diagram you posted is for a set of door popers.
Old 02-28-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Yes the door poppers are what I'm trying to do.

Thanks Electric130 for your explanations I've definitely learned a couple things through this thread.
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Since you're doing door poppers it might make more sense to use the violet/black Ch4 and white/black Ch5, especially if you're doing both doors. Ch4 could work the left door, Ch5 the right.

Pressing Lock and AUX on the remote would activate channel 4.
Pressing Unlock and AUX on the remote would activate channel 5.

If you want to get real crazy this could all be integrated just off the Unlock button as well.

As far as the diode, that is only in the diagram to protect the alarm brain as was stated.