7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What am I missing? Keyless Entry Issue 2002 4-DR EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Civility is an unknown quantity at this point
What am I missing? Keyless Entry Issue 2002 4-DR EX

Hello Forum,

My Keyless Entry stopped working...so confused!

Here's what I've done:

1) 1st -- I have two transmitters...they both have fresh batteries and the red lights go on when buttons are pressed.

2) I followed all of the instructions to "program" the system and I DO get confirmation that the system is "hearing" both remotes...I hear the door actuators cycle just fine.

3) Once re-programmed, if I exit the car and then try to lock/unlock all the doors, nothing happens.

4) The overhead dome lights are not stuck on. All four doors when opened and closed, cycle the dome lights just fine. The pin switches in each door seem fine.

5) Trunk / Hood and Sunroof are closed. Trunk light goes off when trunk is closed.

6) All four power locks work just fine with the manual power lock switch on driver's door -- no issues.

7) Everything is stock 2002 Honda Civic EX including radio.

8) Disconnecting Battery for 15 minutes, putting in radio code, etc..had no positive effect.

So, in short...reprogramming works fine which seems to verify that the receiver is working and has connection to the power locks, etc, but then nothing happens afterward.

So confused!

What am I missing?

All fuses that I know of, look okay.

Thank you!!

Civility
Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

Re: What am I missing? Keyless Entry Issue 2002 4-DR EX

Weird Update:

If I use the KEY in the driver's door and unlock the driver's door and then press the remote...I hear the sound of the driver's door actuator as it unlocks the already manually unlocked door.

Then when I press the Unlock button again, it does unlock all of the doors...

...and then when I press the remote to LOCK all the doors, it does LOCK all the doors...

(But it I press it to Lock the doors again, the horn does not sound letting me know that all is locked, but the exterior lights to flash.)

But, then when I press the remote to UNLOCK the doors again, it once again does nothing. The doors won't unlock unless I manually unlock the driver's door, but the driver's door power locks work fine otherwise.

It seems like I have to manually unlock the driver's door and then the system works fine, but unless I do that...it does not work at all.
Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

It turns out my Civic Alarm was stuck in "Valet Mode"....
I don't know how I fixed it...but it was along these lines from another post:

Originally Posted by plcpeggy;4486800
I know this is an older thread, but I recently ran into this problem and wanted to share my solution. From a 2001-2005 Civic alarm manual, the situation you describe, where the dome light is still working, panic button working, and you can see the alarm LED blink ONCE if you lock the doors means you have gotten your alarm into "valet" mode. To release from valet mode, put your key in the ignition 3 times (and turn the key on then off and then pull the key and then again and again (in out in out in out) within three seconds. If you do this correctly, the LED will blink twice, and your system should be rearmed. Sounds weird, but it works and is from an official Civic manual.

FYI, to put your car in valet mode, you do the same proceedure, all within 3 seconds. The light will blink once, indicating it is in Valet mode.

hope that helps!
peggy
Old 07-06-2016
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Wuut! I never knew there was a valet mode on our cars...
I havent gotten around to read the whole owners manual lol
Old 07-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Wuut! I never knew there was a valet mode on our cars...
I havent gotten around to read the whole owners manual lol
I believe that's only on the accessory security system, if someone purchased it.
If equipped, there would be a single red LED located in the center of the top steering column cover.
There would be a separate owners guide pamphlet that came with the system. I don't think there is any real info in the cars owners manual about the accessory add-on security system.

Also, glad Civility got the issue figured out and posted the solution. I was not around here for much of last weekend.