Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 honda civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greatguy49 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 honda civic ex

hi i have a 2002 honda xcivic ex with 320 000 kms on it but latetly its been feeling a little sluggish probably an oil change and plugs might do it just wondering what too do any suggestions please
Old 10-22-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2002 honda civic ex

Originally Posted by greatguy49
probably an oil change and plugs might do it just wondering what too do any suggestions please
Well, how old are the plugs and oil? What have you done to the car, as far as maintenance?
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

not sure just got the car a little while ago about a month or so ago i havent changed the oil yet or the plugs but i dont want too do it until i know for sure wat is causing this problem the car had had regular maintenance oil changes ie for many years already wen i got it seemed more perkier pickup was better it just seems sluggish too me not like it was before do you think oil change and plugs will make a big difference
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

the maintenance required light flashes wen i start it so it needs something but everything else on the car seems fine
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

hi i have a 2002 honda xcivic ex with 320 000 kms on it but latetly its been feeling a little sluggish probably an oil change and plugs might do it just wondering what too do any suggestions please
Do ALL preventative maintenance in the manual. That should get it back up to par.
Old 10-22-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

+1 to that. If you didn't do it and there isn't a detailed record, you might as well consider it as not being done. That goes doubly true for the timing belt. Consider that a PRIORITY if the previous owner hasn't had it done.
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

yes the timing belt was rep;laced by previous owner not long ago so thats ok i guess it just needs regular maintenance then it should be fine thanks
Old 10-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the maintenance required light flashes wen i start it
That's just the oil change reminder.

Is the check engine light on? Got codes?
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

no the check engine light is noit on at all just needs basic tune up im sure that will makle a big difference
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

wat happens if i ignore the oil change past the time its supposed too be done would that cause the sluggishness in the engine could need an air filter or fuel filter changing also i guess i heard you can buy fuel injector cleaner too run through it you can put it in the gas tank wen its almost empty do you think that will help
Old 10-22-2015
Super Moderator

wat happens if i ignore the oil change past the time its supposed too be done would that cause the sluggishness in the engine
It COULD, but the oil would have to be REALLY old for it to noticeably affect the engine.

could need an air filter
Probably.

fuel filter changing
Maybe. Try that after the basic maintenance gets done.

also i guess i heard you can buy fuel injector cleaner too run through it you can put it in the gas tank wen its almost empty do you think that will help
I used to use Techron every other fill-up before I started using my current additive. Try filling up at Top Tier gas stations only. A lot of us do when it's practical.

Do your basic maintenance on the car first. Then reset the maintenance light. It's super easy to look up and do.
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

ok thanks yes thats true well i will do that anyway i guess and possibly it could be the plugs not sure wen they were done last it will surely help anyway
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

would you say it would be ok too change the oil and filter and plugs on my own or just take it too garage and let them do it also would oit be a good idea too get it hooked up too a scope as that will tell them and me where the fault lies if any and if thats clear then i will know
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

would you say it would be ok too change the oil and filter and plugs on my own or just take it too garage and let them do it also would oit be a good idea too get it hooked up too a scope as that will tell them and me where the fault lies if any and if thats clear then i will know
Do what the manual says, if you don't know if it's been done recently, then do it. There is a list/graph of scheduled maintenance items in any manual for that car, DO ALL ITEMS, filters are on that list.
Old 10-22-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

hooked up too a scope
Now THERE is a term I haven't heard in about two decades!

I really hope you weren't thinking of one of these monsters.
Nobody ever knew what the hell those were really for, but they looked damn impressive when hooked up to a car and therefore justified a lot of money on the bill..
Old 10-22-2015
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ezone
Nobody ever knew what the hell those were really for, but they looked damn impressive when hooked up to a car and therefore justified a lot of money on the bill..
Did YOU use one of those?
Old 10-22-2015

Originally Posted by Poopies
Did YOU use one of those?
Short answer: Yes.