7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Only 350-400 kms on a full tank of gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vtecbrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Only 350-400 kms on a full tank of gas

Is this bad? It's a 2004 Civic VP with 150k kms. Timing belt, water pump, oil & filter, air filter and spark plugs have all been changed recently. I also cleaned the fuel system with Red Line SI-1.

I don't drive aggressively but I don't drive like an old lady either. Mostly city driving with short trips.

Oh and I also forgot, it's an automatic transmission.
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Only 350-400 kms on a full tank of gas

What is your actual kpg or kpl? Per tank doesn't really mean anything. Once you have those numbers then you can determine if you really have an issue.
Old 05-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you spend most of your time in heavy stop and go traffic, it's gonna get crappy gas mileage.
Any time it is sitting still and burning fuel, mileage is zero.
Short trips: Cold starts and warmup consumes a lot of fuel.
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vtecbrah
Is this bad?
i would say its horrible.....

my last tank i calculated at 37 MPG, i would say that was about 75% highway driving, but i also had the A/C blasting alot of the time

i have an 05 auto
Old 05-31-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OP could air up the tires, fill the gas tank, and take it on the highway.
Drive totally steady at 90kmh until the tank is empty and see what the mileage calculates out to.

NO stop and go, no slowing down, no traffic. Just spend the entire day going steady 90kmh.

CLICKY LINK--> How to calculate fuel economy? <--LINKY CLICK
Old 05-31-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Is this bad?...

I don't drive aggressively but I don't drive like an old lady either. Mostly city driving with short trips.

Oh and I also forgot, it's an automatic transmission.
It's not great mileage but probably understandable give city, short trip, automatic. It also depends on driving habits and if you don't want to drive like an old lady then you're going to pay for it.

I live in a town built on a steep hill and just because of that I know lots of people who don't even get 300 km out of a tank of gas.
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for all your replies!

I forgot to mention, when my mechanic changed the spark plugs he asked me to give it some gas.

He said that the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter was cracked. Could that affect fuel economy?

Last edited by ezone; 05-31-2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Damn I hit the wrong button. Sorry!
Old 05-31-2015

I forgot to mention, when my mechanic changed the spark plugs he asked me to give it some gas.
Not sure what you are saying here.

He said that the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter was cracked. Could that affect fuel economy?
Yes it is possible.

Fresh air can be sucked into the manifold through the crack and get picked up (detected) by the O2 sensor, causing the computer to miscalculate fuel injection quantity targets.
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Not sure what you are saying here.

Yes it is possible.

Fresh air can be sucked into the manifold through the crack and get picked up (detected) by the O2 sensor, causing the computer to miscalculate fuel injection quantity targets.
Oh OK thanks! I'll have the crack welded and if that doesn't work I guess I will have to spend 600 on a new converter.
Old 05-31-2015

Oh OK thanks! I'll have the crack welded and if that doesn't work I guess I will have to spend 600 on a new converter.
Even if you repair the crack or replace the cat, I wouldn't expect to see any big change in your fuel economy numbers, based on your driving habits and commute situations.