7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

02 EX - basic maint to creating a steady base for later modding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tbake_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 EX - basic maint to creating a steady base for later modding?

First time poster on this forum so if this is in the wrong section please let me know!

A few days ago I bought my second car, a 2002 5 speed civic coupe ex.
The car has 199xxx miles on it but so far its been running like a champ. The interior is extremely clean and I believe that an older lady owned the car prior to me. Ive found the breaks are wearing out (which I believe to be from the high mileage, but I could be wrong). And Im pretty sure there is a small oil leak somewhere. The oil pan was wet but there has been no oil leaking onto the ground at all. There are a few small spots of oil aswell around the engine block I believe.

I want to upgrade this car and mod it, and I already have a pretty decent list starting. But first before I start really getting into the car I wanted to do an overall tune up basically, but I dont know where to start. I changed the oil on the car yesterday. Should I replace the spark plugs? Other fluids? etc. etc. What can I do to make sure I have a steady basis for modding my car.

Here I have a brief list of things that I plan on doing in the future, just so you guys can see from the list, what I should inspect, or fix so that I dont have too big of problems later on that may occur from what I plan to be installing.

Cat-back exhaust
Air intake(SRI)
Coilovers - or a Lowering kit possibly
head and tail lights - HIDs?
front, rear, side skirts/lip
Rims/Tires

I have almost all the general tools I need to do all this to my car, jack, jack stands, etc. Ive been trying to research a lot on an exhaust. and I think im stuck between an ebay spec-D N1 look alike, The Apexi cat back runs around $500-$600 I believe but I do have a limited budget and opposed to the $150 Spec-D look alike, I may be going with the cheaper exhaust. I wanna know what my main differences would be considering the cheap exhaust. Ive read that there is some welding involved, But ive also read that it was a direct bolt on?

And in the long run would I be better off buying a nice lowering kit or just going with coilovers or something?

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on some of the things ive talked about, thanks.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-02-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: creating a steady base for modding

if you are not SURE what was done in the past and when, at your mileage i would replace the following as soon as possible.....in order of priority.....

- timing belt
- timing belt tensioner
- water pump
- coolant and thermostat
- tranny fluid
- air filter
- pcv valve
- spark plugs
- brake fluid
- power steering fluid

that should keep you busy for awhile
Old 03-02-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: creating a steady base for modding

our cars are due for timing belt at 100k, so likely why it was for sale at 199k miles... so i would do that... (that would drive me to believe previous owner either bought it at 99k and wisely sold it at 199k, or she was the original owner and knew it was coming for the 2nd time, if latter is true, you are the second owner of this car )

add to above from mikey and you spark plugs, read here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html

suspension - start from the link in my signature

I will be moving your thread from the mechanical issues section, since it is not really an issue - don't worry, the experient guys uses the "new posts" function so they will not miss your post.
Old 03-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 02 EX - basic maint to creating a steady base for later modding?

no homo i miss gearbox seriously what ever happened to that guy he disappeared without a trace. i think we mite need to contact unsolved mysteries can any mods shed some light on this ???
Old 03-04-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

honestly, i don't know what happened to him... just rumours
Old 03-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

that sucks i hope he's physically ok ??? he was one of the best contributors on this forum.
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jey2687
I want the code of Radio Stereo civic 2006 S/N 25055236

how is this relevant to the thread?