7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Honda Civic LX timing belt Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nettalp is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Honda Civic LX timing belt Kit

Hello friends,

Can someone confirm if this kit is compatible with my wifes car?

Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-003 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-003 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive

-Doug
Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: 2005 Honda Civic LX timing belt Kit

No, we have no idea which model your wife's car is... But according to Amazon, it fits my 2001 LX 1.7L SOHC...
Old 11-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmiley
No, we have no idea which model your wife's car is... But according to Amazon, it fits my 2001 LX 1.7L SOHC...
Pssst....look at the title of the thread.

NBD, I do it too LOL

OP: Are these truly factory OEM parts? It is known that aftermarket tensioners are oftentimes crap and when they let go it can do serious damage to the engine. Are you willing to risk an engine over Amazons low prices? FWIW the price is too low IMO. It's far below dealer cost.
Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

You need to ask the source. Not a forum. I will tell you this. Not sure if you're just trying to fix it just to sale it (I would not even do that if it were me..karma bites back) but original equipment matched is just smoke. Get the parts from a dealer. Do it right. If that junk brakes, it will destroy the motor.
Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

I appreciate the comments, I am coming from the subaru world so I know those cars pretty well and usually Gates kits are just fine.

The Honda we are going to keep and not familiar with its parts too much.

So here I am getting some info from you guys who obviously know.

So the tensioners and waterpump is majority the culprits when going with aftermarket? From my research, Aisin is a japanese company which was recommended as an oem replacement.

I'll await more feedback. Thanks
Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum. That's the same kit I got from RockAuto for my 02 EX. From the research I did the reviews were good and Aisin is a reputable product. I put it on about 10K ago and running good so far.

I don't know how they can have a list price of $270 up there. If you go to http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (a good place for OEM replacement parts) and get the parts individually the total cost is about $150. Maybe the price has dropped over time.
Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

When I click the link to the Aisin kit on Amazon, its $114.
I seem to recall Aisin makes stuff for Toyota as OEM supplier and makes Honda transmissions too. But if Ezone has seen failures with the tensioner I'd buy it from Majestic. If its from a Honda dealer it should be the highest quality.
Old 11-30-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmiley
When I click the link to the Aisin kit on Amazon, its $114.
I seem to recall Aisin makes stuff for Toyota as OEM supplier and makes Honda transmissions too. But if Ezone has seen failures with the tensioner I'd buy it from Majestic. If its from a Honda dealer it should be the highest quality.
I have only seen a few failures of the OE tensioners, all were well over 200k miles and the springs let go. Other folks here have had the OE part fail a little sooner than that.

I read about more failures here than anywhere.

Here's a recent one: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-happened.html

This was just a cheapo parts disaster.

The worry is thinking you are gonna get a good name brand but in reality you get counterfeit parts.
It's a huge problem and it's worldwide.
Buy from a known reputable source.

From this site: http://www.vbearings.com/sales/657/

"However how to distinguish counterfeit bearings from original NTN beairngs? Some counterfeit bearings look so much like the real thing that only a trained technician can tell them apart. However, the poor quality of counterfeit bearings %u2013 and the risks they pose to equipment %u2013 can sometimes be revealed after just hours of use
"

^From a thread on counterfeit bearings (began as hub-bearings that lasted just 2 days):
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...blem-help.html
Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nettalp
Hello friends,

Can someone confirm if this kit is compatible with my wifes car?

Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-003 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive

-Doug
Mitsuboshi are decent belts, and Aisin make good quality products, i would have no problem using an Aisin water pump, which i currently am doing

the only thing that would deter me from that "kit" is the tensioner, as you can see they don't even tell you the brand name or who makes it, and that alone would be enough for me to just say no

like others have said, the tensioner is a very important piece of the puzzle
Old 12-01-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
like others have said, the tensioner is a very important piece of the puzzle
coincidentally enough, it also has the highest list price out of all of those components at ~$100, the water pump coming in second at ~$90.. Just some food for thought
Old 12-01-2014

I was poking around in the parts department before I left work..... All the water pumps I found were marked with the Honda name on them.

I didn't see a 7th gen tensioner pulley while I was in there.
Old 12-01-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Another note. I just priced out a timing belt "kit" for a friend's 04 ex using hondapartsunlimited.com (I use them because shipping is infinitely faster than majestic's since I'm in NV and they're in AZ, and their prices are about the same). For me, at least, hondapartsunlimited would be a few bucks cheaper than Majestic.

Came out to ~$170 shipped. I'd just pay the extra $55 for that extra added reassurance that you're actually getting genuine Honda parts.
Old 12-05-2014
Registered!!

Thankyou everyone for the responses, you guys seem like a good group of guys. I ended up going OEM since I have a buddy that gets a discount. Still $260 for everything but least its OEM.

-Doug
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

chgofirefighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Welcome to the forum. That's the same kit I got from RockAuto for my 02 EX. From the research I did the reviews were good and Aisin is a reputable product. I put it on about 10K ago and running good so far.

I don't know how they can have a list price of $270 up there. If you go to http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (a good place for OEM replacement parts) and get the parts individually the total cost is about $150. Maybe the price has dropped over time.
I was just recently at RockAuto parts website, they have LOTS of kits and the most expensive one that I notice was at around $110, now grant it, I don't know much about the quality of their parts but a complete kits consisting of belts, water pump, etc etc for under $150 is a steal to me~! I am in the process of getting a new kit installed because I think the car is just about due at 180k miles..
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
the most expensive one that I notice was at around $110, ... but a complete kits consisting of belts, water pump, etc etc for under $150 is a steal to me
yeah, most people post a link to a $50 kit off Ebay that comes from China, and ask if it's a good kit. Stay away from those!

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
I think the car is just about due at 180k miles..
yeah it should be on a second one. I think Honda calls for a new one every 100K.
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

I just checked RockAuto.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...246&cc=1373217

$106.
I've never heard of Koyo... I'd price it against Majestic. I suspect Rockauto gets plenty of counterfeit parts from China. For an extra $100 I'd have a lot more confidence in the OEM parts.