Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I am stuck on the side of the road, what happened???

Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mclld is an unknown quantity at this point
I am stuck on the side of the road, what happened???

2001 civic ex auto

Last year I had the timing belt, water pump and head gasket replaced. It has been driving fine. I was going down the highway at 70 and my car lost power. I came to a stop and when I try to start it it sort of sounds like it is trying to turn over but it isnt. The battery is good, I looked under the hood and on the ground and no leaks and my fluid levels are good.

When I say it won't turn over I mean it goes through the motions but it sounds like the starter isn't Turing it over like it should. It wouldn't be a starter though because that wouldn't make it die would it?
Old 04-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I am stuck on the side of the road, what happened???

No, the starter can't make it DIE while driving. The starter is only there to get the engine started..

Run out of gas?
Check engine light codes?

Try to describe what happens without using the ambiguous term "turning over".
Does the electric starter motor operate?
Does the electric starter motor engage the engine flywheel and rotate the engine crankshaft?
I assume it does both of these, yet the engine does not sustain combustion on its own.
Does it crank unevenly, like ruhruhweeeeruhruhweeeruhruhweeeruhruhweee?

Remove the oil fill cap and look inside. You should be able to see at least one of the rocker arms down in there.....Have someone crank the engine while you watch for that rocker arm to move.....If it does not move, then you may have chucked the timing belt. Further inspection would be necessary.
I might predict a tow truck in your future.

Any engine needs to have spark, fuel, and compression...In the proper amounts and at the correct times.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your 'thrifty' parts just caught up with you.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4648200
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mclld is an unknown quantity at this point

I had it towed

"Does it crank unevenly, like ruhruhweeeeruhruhweeeruhruhweeeruhruhweee?"

Just ruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-27-2014

Originally Posted by mclld
You were all about cheap on critical timing parts.

What's the cost of that cheap price now?

$1000?
$1500?
Higher?

The fleabay seller was

Seriously?

For $48 were the parts knitted from an old scarf?
Old 04-28-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Bent valves... *sigh*

Gotta watch out with lowest-bidder parts, man. The diminishing returns can swallow your entire car whole (as in, the cost of repair can exceed the value of the car if you're really unlucky).

I hated getting bent over by the cost of 4 Denso OEM plugs and an LAF sensor, but installed correctly, they'll still be working flawlessly long after I sell it. In fact, whoever gets my car next will be getting a pretty solid deal... just gotta convince someone to pay more than they would for a Parts Wiz car. :P

On the bright side... this is a good opportunity to swap the head gasket with an OEM one.
Old 04-28-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Bent valves for sure. You're describing the same sounds my car made when my TDC sensor bolt ate my timing belt.
Old 04-28-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Goodbye... valves... It was nice knowing ya.
Old 04-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mclld
I had it towed

"Does it crank unevenly, like ruhruhweeeeruhruhweeeruhruhweeeruhruhweee?"

an engine with a broken timing belt will normally crank alot faster when you attempt to start it, is it doing this? or maybe it is and your just not noticing it,

in any case i agree with the others
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop cranking it though. The more you crank the more damage you can do. The bottom of the engine is spinning and the top is saying F U.
Old 04-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Stop cranking it though. The more you crank the more damage you can do. The bottom of the engine is spinning and the top is saying F U.
i agree that continuing to crank the engine is pointless, however i disagree that more damage can be done, the valves that are stuck open are already crushed, so no more damage can really be done
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Keep smashing that piston into the valve and see what happens.
Old 04-30-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Might be a consideration if the valve head broke off the stem... but otherwise, I agree with mikey1. Remember that there are still valve springs pulling the valve as far as it'll go into the pocket. With a 4V head the valve stems are so thin they only need to be bent once, and then they can no longer contact the piston. It's like a piece of styrofoam in a helmet liner -- you crush it once, and it doesn't spring back to be contacted again.

Even at max lift the valve can only be bent one way, and remember that the starter doesn't spin the crank anywhere near even idle speed.

The severe service rpms, compression ratios, cam profiles and overlap with barely-adequate piston-to-valve clearances of a frontline sportbike motor are far more extreme than in a D17, so it may be good advice for them... but even so, that's where I get my reccies from. As long as the crank isn't spinning at service rpm, there's little chance damage will continue to occur on the starter.

That said though... quit trying to start the dang motor, and get that head off!
Old 04-30-2014
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I think we scared him off, guys.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

I don't understand. You guys are okay with continuing to hit the piston into the valve? And you are both 100% sure that no more damage can occur?

Haha yea Josh we did for sure.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Anyway.... A good read: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar1192.htm
Old 04-30-2014

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I think we scared him off, guys.
Oh yeah...I'm pretty sure ezone's crack about parts being made out of a knitted scarf was pretty much the end of him.

Meh....truth hurts sometimes. Hopefully a lesson learned for everyone who uses bargin basement parts for critical engine functions.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Yep. Hopefully that's not the problem however.... I'm almost positive it is. ezone called it a year ago.
Old 04-30-2014

Keep smashing that piston into the valve and see what happens.
I don't understand. You guys are okay with continuing to hit the piston into the valve? And you are both 100% sure that no more damage can occur?
What's done is done. If the valves are already bent, not much else can happen by cranking more except maybe killing the battery or roasting the starter.

It's not like someone is gonna pull the head off and replace the valves twice because he kept cranking on it.

Originally Posted by mikey1
i agree that continuing to crank the engine is pointless, however i disagree that more damage can be done, the valves that are stuck open are already crushed, so no more damage can really be done
This.

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Oh yeah...I'm pretty sure ezone's crack about parts being made out of a knitted scarf was pretty much the end of him.
MY crack?? LOL.

Should I have phrased it "whittled from PINE"?
"Hand formed using wet beach sand"?
(should voting be enabled on this?)

Meh....truth hurts sometimes. Hopefully a lesson learned for everyone who uses bargin basement parts for critical engine functions.
Will Rogers said, "There's three kinds of people.
There's them that can learn from others,
There's them that can learn from books,
And there's them that has to whizz on the electric fence for themselves."

I'm almost positive it is. ezone called it a year ago.

Sometimes the crystal ball works better than others.
Old 04-30-2014

Hahahahaha -- word. Have a feeling there's folk here with sodium sensitivity.

Speaking just for me, I didn't think the comment was *that* bad... besides, there was a precedent with the guy insisting on cheap parts. How'd that work for him? If you want to shake hands it requires both sides to extend theirs to the middle.

And no disrespect intended or implied, BlueEM2... but if bent valves don't destroy an 11500 rpm, shim-under-bucket R1 motor from a botched chain tensioner install... a skipped belt isn't going to destroy the head on a rocker arm D17 spinning at starter speed. The damage was done and done in the initial contact. If you can turn the crank over 2 revs by hand with the plugs out, there is no more contact, thus no more damage.

I kinda see what you're getting at, though. Your scenario assumes a valve head is bouncing around free of the stem (super-unlikely on a stock street motor) -- THAT can force head replacement in a hurry at service rpm... but it'll still prevent a starter from turning the crank if contact occurs, so again, very little likelihood of 'smashing'. My opinions are from (hasty, rushed) rebuilds on race motors and same by non-certified shadetrees on their own bikes on my lift.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

ezone. I normally agree with you but not in this case. If there are fragments of the valves stuck in the cylinder and you move the pistons up and down you can scar the cylinder walls potentially destroying the block. Also, if you continue to wallop the damaged valves with the piston there is a chance to destroy pistons. It makes 0 sense to continue cranking.
Old 04-30-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Tom, it's kinakoes, not ezone
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Haha yea. I always err on the side of safety Even though I'd be the guy cranking it for twenty minutes cursing why it won't start.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

BTW guys. Sometimes I argue on here just to make it more interesting lol. This site is dead lately and I need entertainment one way or another
Old 04-30-2014
Administrator
Administrator

BTW guys. Sometimes I argue on here just to make it more interesting lol. This site is dead lately and I need entertainment one way or another
This has been confirmed as true via Facebook post.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

How dare you
Old 04-30-2014

ezone. I normally agree with you but not in this case.
Me??

OP had his engine cash out at 70 MPH. 3K RPM or so. Cranking it now isn't going to hurt it any worse.

Whomever he towed it to will be grinding on the starter to figure out what happened too.

--------------------

Word of the day: Exhaustipated......Just too tired to give a sh*t.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Fair enough
Old 04-30-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
This has been confirmed as true via Facebook post.
second that, josh

Originally Posted by ezone

Word of the day: Exhaustipated......Just too tired to give a sh*t.
rest well tonight!
Old 04-30-2014

Hahahaha -- touché, my Canadian friend. Since your countrymen built my Civic (and it's surprisingly free of any nasty surprises save the usual D17 stuff), feel free to stir the puddle at any time... I do like a good debate, as long as the participants have input of value -- and by value, I agree comic relief is included.

BTW... it's really hard to score cylinder walls without fragmenting valves or valve seats... and the metal used in valves is designed with high tensile strength to bend rather than break, within spec (you can't tell Ford that though, who've had SPI 2.0L sintered valve seats fall out and shatter in cold-weather Escorts and Focuses at any mileage, and boatanchoring the motor, for a thumbs-in-ears 12 yrs). I've seen valve heads bend parallel to a stem in a severe detonation failure, but not break. HTS is vital for valves, because of the super-high reciprocating Gs the valve heads are supposed to pull. If the hit when driving at highway speed bent the valve out of harm's way, the engine IIRC will lose spark and fuel immediately anyway via PCM, as cam and crank sensors won't agree. Very little chance of damage on the starter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I am stuck on the side of the road, what happened???