7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Struts Mounts and LCA replacing without removing axle??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Struts Mounts and LCA replacing without removing axle??

Ok So a few weeks ago, I replaced the drivers side hub due to a bad wheel bearing. Some may ask why I replaced the whole hub for just a bearing, well my friends someone who may have just been a little to torque happy put on the 32 mil axle nut just a we bit too tight, yes in neutral with engine running with foot on brake wheel on ground and a 6 foot breaker bar woulnt get it loose. So i replaced the hub and axle

well the lca bushings looked fair on the drivers side... but the strut has some infamous junk yard paint on it...
Please note my car has been hit more then mohommad ali before i got it

The passenger side is knocking pretty good, every bump every dip i get the creaking taps,

Heres what I am thinking about doing....
Replacing both struts, and mounts with a complete assembly,
replacing lca's sway links, tie rod ends....

I am kinda tossed thought, last time i messed with one of the hubs I couldn't get the axle nut off on the drivers side, I am going to be safe to assume the same dumbasss put the passenger side nut on,

is there a way to change these parts without taking off the axle nut on the passenger side.

Or is there a more definitive way to find out exactly where my noise is coming from.
I know the car only has 153k but it had 17 inch rims on it for a while an I am sure thats where my suspension problems developed
Old 09-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Struts Mounts and LCA replacing without removing axle??

go to a home building store and buy yourself a 6 or 8 foot cast iron pipe from the plumbing section, slip that over your breaker bar, that will get it loose for sure, stand on the damn thing if you have to, hell i removed both of mine using only an 18 inch breaker bar, and it wasn't even that difficult, are you sure they arnt cross threaded?

a stupid question but i have to ask.....you ARE straightening out the locking tab before trying to loosen it right?
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Yes I unbent the locking but and used a long pipe...
It's very possible it's cross threaded because I couldn't even get it off using a 1/2 impact on a bench with the axle in a vice I even tried heat before saying the heck with it and getting a hub

And yes I was turning the bolt to the left

Last edited by usajags84; 09-27-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

My passenger side axle didn't want to come out of the hub either.
I had just bought the car in April and was going to do the front brakes. When I went to remove the front right wheel, a lug stub snapped and another was stripped.
I was attempting to take the hub off to replace the studs. I took the hub and axle off. I placed in a big vise and soaked overnight in PB blaster. Next morning I pounded the axle with a sledge hammer. I started small and worked up to the sledge-omatic!
The axle came free, but the boot was busted. The hub looked great inside. I took it to a shop and had the wheel bearing and studs replaced. I replaced the axle. Everything went back together very easily. No troubles with it since. I had it back off a few months later to replace my front struts. Off & back on the hub with no worries.
Do what you gotta do, but I suspect that axle had the wrong number of teeth.
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Yup it's funny how some these things happen. Right now I am on hold on this project because of my recent purchase / post is having three civics a bad thing
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

I cracked my nuts loose on the 03 donor without a hitch, The 01 drivers side is out.
I got my new tie rod ends, sway bar links, and ball joints in!!
I am taking the 2 hubs from the 03 to get new bearings pressed and the ball joints done tomorrow or thursday so I can get the 01 aligned and back on the road.