Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Need New Key Cut + Programmed -Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stimulisRK is an unknown quantity at this point
Need New Key Cut + Programmed -Help!

I bought an 03 Civic Si. He waited til the day I finally got the car to tell me he only had 1 set of keys. didn't even think of asking before that.

So, I wanna get another key made. I dont really know much about this, so I went to Home Depot and a local hardware store and apparantley it's a special high security key that they need a "Sidewinder" key machine to cut. I couldnt get ahold of any dealerships, they're service depts. are all closed for now. I called a locksmith and quoted me $300....

I was reading around on a few threads on here, and people were saying they got quoted for $40-$120.

Can I buy this key https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Ho.../2003/1000385/ and take it the dealership/locksmith? I read thats cheaper...

What's the best route to go here? I'm kinda flustered right now. Hopefully you guys can help, THANKS!!
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need New Key Cut + Programmed -Help!

its not as easy as having the key cut it then needs to be programed into your car so your car will accept it and as far as i know a honda dealer pretty much has to do it with there computer. Ive seen em when they did mine took em 3 mins and i was outa there for 40 bucks for the key and cutting it and programing. so even if you get it cut it may not work til u have it programed sure it will let u in the car and trunk but it wont start the car.

O yea and when they program the key they will delete any older keys that are on it so any extras floating around wont start the car.
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

What kinda car was the key for? My 02 civic has a regular key that looks normal, but this 03 si has a "high security key" as the locksmith called it. The hardware store said its a special key Honda likes to use. Heres a pic of a blank

is this the type of key they did for $40 ? It has really shallow rounded teeth when cut, like this
Old 08-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's not really that high security, it's just laser cut.

I doubt upgrading to laser cut keys has ever prevented the theft of an 03+ Civic, but they do cost a bit extra.
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

yea thats my key too the first one i have a 04 civic but once that key it cut it will look like the second one not like a normal key where its cut all the way through. and yea not really high security at all. maybe adds 2 extra seconds of effort for a thief im sure. bottom line if they want it theyll get it and i dont care thats what insurance is for. i sleep like a baby no worries!
Old 08-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

get to the dealer and have a new one cut.
right now it's just guess work. got mine spare for 50.
if you confirm that they are expensive at the dealer, say you need to think and come back here :P
Old 08-15-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

When i bought my 03 civic si i didn't have an extra key either ... hell, i still dont. But i'm planning on getting one made, don't know if i'm going to program it or not, i mean the only time i'd use it is if i lock my keys in my car (which has happened twice already lol)
Old 08-15-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

Last weekend i ended up losing my one and only key. So i called a locksmith they had to come down and break in to my car and make me a couple keys. In 2001 Honda started the whole chip programmed key. The keys cost alot more than just a regular key to unlock the door. But unless you have a programmed key your not going anywhere your car will never start without the programmed key. cost me 200 for two programmed keys and a spare that only unlocks doors he gave me the spare for free since he had to make one anyway to make sure he got the right cut before he used an expensive programmable key.
Old 08-17-2011
Registered!!

I've called 3 dealerships and 1 locksmith so far:

Locksmith: $300 for Key, Cut, and Program
Dealer 1: $80 for Key, Cut, and Program
Dealer 2: $50 for Key, $3 for Cut, additional $45 for programming
Dealer 3: $77 for Key and Cut, additional $55 for programming

Still 1 more dealership I gotta call, otherwise I can deal with $80.

Do you guys know of any sites where I can buy authentic Honda blank keys? If they're cheaper i'd like to buy one myself and bring it in, instead of getting charged $50+ for a blank key.
Old 08-18-2011
Registered!!

wow thats crazy im glad my dealer programs for free heck they dnt even move the car from the parking lot they come out and turn it on and get out done! and for free.
Old 07-31-2019
Registered!!

tuita is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got toyota blank key from here http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesa...to-key-blanks/ save some money to cut new key LOL