7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird A/C Rattling? Burning Oil? PCV Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DerekxxCore is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird A/C Rattling? Burning Oil? PCV Valve?

So a few months back, when I did my oil changes I noticed my 2001 Civic Lx was burning alot of oil. Alot. I was getting an oil light so I immediately went to get supplies to do an oil change, and when I drained my oil I probably had maybe a quart in there (dangerously low oil pressure). Scared the crap out of me, so I've been doing oil changes earlier and adding it as needed. Now that its hot as all hell, I'm using the a/c more because I'm a wuss. But the other day when my a/c comp kicked on I heard a rattling noise, and a couple times an irratic idle. The rattling noise only happens in lower rpm's when accelerating. I tried listening to it with the hood popped and the rattling sounds like its coming from down in the internals, not the a/c compressor.

Could the oil issues & a/c issues be related? I've been reading and I'm thinking it might be a bad pcv valve which would explain the bad idle and oil but not the a/c. I really don't know what to think and I'm planning on selling my car soon and I'm not the kind of guy to sell a car with all these issues.

Someone help please!
Old 07-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird A/C Rattling? Burning Oil? PCV Valve?

well the a/c does use a good amount of engine power and makes it work harder. so any small problem the engine or parts may have will show itself even more with a/c on. if you are getting idle drop and shaking due to lower rpms, it may just be a clogged IAC idle air valve. that is what tells the engine to idle higher when the compressor kicks on. pcv is also worth cleaning (its metal and reusable, just spray with carb cleaner and put back). i have a pretty good thread that should help. it the oil light never came on tho, i doubt you have engine damage. you can try getting one of those tools to listen to where noises are coming from cause its nearly impossible with just your ear unless its within 1 inch of the part. if the engine is a bit neglected or old, an auto-rx.com treatment may help things too.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, the first time I noticed the low oil level I did have an oil light though, that's what scares me. So I'm thinking theres a leak somewhere or problem which is why I'm getting low oil, and I'm afraid it did lead to engine damage, which is why maybe I'm getting these odd noises. I'm a little bit mechanically inclined, I've got friends who are more than I am and none of us can figure it out. I'm just afraid of blowing it off as nothing and driving down the highway one day and blowing a piston through the hood haha.
Old 07-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

could be a slight rod knock or something. usually oil light means damage was done. how much, its hard to say. how long was the light on? if the car is driving normally i wouldnt worry for now. there is nothing you can really do short of a complete engine rebuild to figure out if anything happened. i get odd noises sometimes too and ive never been low on oil.
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

Well the light would only come on at low rpms, when I'd put the clutch in when I came to stops, which means I was getting low oil pressure at low rpms, which I've been told is an issue coming from having low oil, so a day later I bought oil and a filter and did a change, and had a really low amount of oil. That was some time ago though, February I think, and the car has driven fine since. But I still go through oil real fast, and now this new noise with the a/c compressor.
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

But then again it might just be an air temp and atmosphere thing, I'm getting record high temps in upstate new york, its never this hot and humid and this car has been a northern car all its life, and the a/c noise started when it started getting real hot. Hmm I dont know.