7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st gear grinding. (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point
1st gear grinding. (Help)

Hey there guys.

I just had this start happening to me the past few weeks when I go to downshift into first gear it grinds the odd time normally when the car is still cold. So I tried doing a rolling stop without downshifting I droped the shifter into 1st and it grinds even tho I had the clutch pedal all the way down.

Now this issue goes away when the car is warm etc. I have no problem shift up or down to any gears everything moves smooth. I recently had transmission bearings changed and the mech at the dealership told me he wasn't sure if he could save the clutch. Since the repair I have been noticing that when I disengage the clutch (push the pedal down) it kinda sounds like something drops a tad or moves. Now I recently got into a pretty bad front end collision (not my fault) and there was over 9000 dollars of repairs done to the car mostly body repairs. Once I got the car back I found many hidden or missed things that needed to be fixed and the clutch might be one of them.

Its more then likely my clutch going but I just wanted some opinions before I go get it changed.
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1st gear grinding. (Help)

9000 worth of repairs on a 7th gen???? why did they even bother fixing it, it would cost less just to give you another 7th gen. but if they mech said he couldnt save the clutch then its most likely the clutch going out and you probably have some clutch chatter and thats what you hear moving.
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1st gear grinding. (Help)

Yea they valued the car at 10,500 $ for them it was cheaper to pay for repairs.. I was hoping for a write off but I wouldn't of taken anything less then 11,500 $ since I would of had to go out and drop a down payment on a new beast. So it saved me a headache of going to court yadiyadi yada

and heres a pic of the car all smashed up and at the bottom is the after pic all fixed up. Sry for the dark pics.. Will get some updated one in apr when I get some new wheels on it with a few exterior addons (moon roof visor/hood deflector/window visors foglights and a possible new grille.
Currently got a Injen CAI headers are sitting in my basement waiting and possibly setup a new exhaust on the car. I/H/E deal nothing to major since its my DD. Looking at getting the 9th gen civ, might aswell use my honda associate deals.