7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

May have messed up on timing belt install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough
May have messed up on timing belt install

So I finally got everything apart and was trying to remove the lower timing belt cover when this wire bundle was preventing me from getting it out, I didn't want to stress the wire so I unhooked it.

It turns out it was attached to the CKP sensor, the sensor that points to the crank pulley.

In the DIY article from this site I was following (not well enough apparently) it said not to disconnect this wire.

I did not rotate the engine at all, the original timing belt is still on, all I did was unplug it, then I realized my error and plugged it back in without doing anything else. I'm just afraid I messed something up because it said NOT to unhook this wire, to unbolt the sensor instead.

Also, how do I rotate the motor to get to TDC with the crank pulley off?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by anibis; 09-14-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: May have messed up on timing belt install

You're fine disconnecting it. It works off a magnetic signal or something. That said, be careful while handling that sensor. If you drop it, bump it hard, or anything, it may damage the sensor. You'll know if you damaged it. It'll throw a CEL, take absurdly long to start, and you won't be able to rev past 3000

As for going to TDC, I temporarily put the pulley back on and rotated it with that.. Didn't bolt it on, just slipped it andthr woodruff key on.
Old 09-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

mine was one piece when i started and was 2 pieces when i was doing (overtorque )
Old 09-14-2011
Registered!!

Ahh good, I was afraid I did something wrong although I couldn't figure out how unplugging it would cause issues. I will be careful with it though.

My car has 120k majority city miles and the timing belt looks as if it could have broken at any time, I'm glad I decided to change it now.

Next up, wheel bearings.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2011
Registered!!

I saw in a different DIY on youtube that you can rotate the motor using the cam bolt too. This isn't ideal imo but it got me to TDC. I had to use a puny wrench thanks to the stupid ABS box.

Hopefully she'll be runnin like a champ tomorrow and I won't have to do this again for 100k.
Old 09-15-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

look at the headgasket link I have in my sig. There's a lot of tips and tricks to help with a timing belt job. Also, the link at the bottom of my first post in that thread helps a lot, too.

And going to TDC with the cam bolt.. You need to match both the cam gear at TDC as well as the crankshaft at TDC. When I set it, I temporarily installed the lower timing cover and slipped on the crank pulley, lined that up to TDC (and double checking cylinder 1 at it's highest point with a dowel), made sure the camshaft was set for TDC, then slipped the belt on. Afterward, with the belt and tensioner set, I went through 2 rotations of the crank pulley, then double checked the timing marks.