7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about
Gas Gauge Problem

I hopped in my car this morning with about a 1/4 tank, drove down to the university. When I hop in the car to go home, my gas gauge read where it was when I got to the university. After about 5 minutes, my gas guage is on E with the low fuel light on. I just kept driving home, knowing that I'd be fine on gas. For 10 more minutes of the drive home, the gauge was slowly going back up. By time I got home, it was back to where it was when I arrived at the university in the morning. What is going on?
Old 07-21-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough
Re: Gas Gauge Problem

Originally Posted by Artificial
I hopped in my car this morning with about a 1/4 tank, drove down to the university. When I hop in the car to go home, my gas gauge read where it was when I got to the university. After about 5 minutes, my gas guage is on E with the low fuel light on. I just kept driving home, knowing that I'd be fine on gas. For 10 more minutes of the drive home, the gauge was slowly going back up. By time I got home, it was back to where it was when I arrived at the university in the morning. What is going on?
Mine's been doing the same thing lately. I always reset trip meter "A" when I fill up gas, and I get around 520-530 ish before the light comes on. So i usually just go based on that.
Old 07-21-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem, my gas guage has done some crazy stuff like that but just go by how far you can go on one tank, thats how i measure it. My last tank i hit 640km b4 the gas light came on
Old 07-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

replace the fuel sending unit. ever since i had a new one put in many yrs ago, ive never had gas gauge issues. before when the car was new, it would read empty with the light on but when i filled up it only took 6 gallons lol. its a very common problem.
Old 07-21-2011
Registered!!

richs1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah mine will say half tank the day before. I will drive it the next day, and it will say quarter tank.
Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

I too have the gas gauge problem. Sometimes it reads as much as 1/4 tank lower than it should.

Thankfully, it doesn't read more than what is really in there... that would be a much bigger problem!
Old 07-22-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

damn. and here i thought i was the only one with that problem.

Originally Posted by gearbox
replace the fuel sending unit. ever since i had a new one put in many yrs ago, ive never had gas gauge issues. before when the car was new, it would read empty with the light on but when i filled up it only took 6 gallons lol. its a very common problem.
where can i find that? do u have the part number? DIY?
Old 07-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i had the dealer replace under warranty. takes a couple hrs since they have to take the rear apart and remove the fuel pump to access the sender.
Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

I don't see it listed separately of the whole fuel pump assembly anywhere. I checked RockAuto, Bernardi Honda, NAPA and AutoZone...

I also don't recall if it looked removable or not when I had my pump out to change the filter. I'm going to assume it isn't . It's such a minor problem, I won't even bother fixing it... I got more important things to fix (sagging headliner in back, and want to touch up some scratches, and then do a complete detail of my interior... maybe I'll do a before/after of the detailing).
Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Jeeze... Glad this wasn't just happening to me. Prolly just gonna let it be, not worth the cost of the labor.
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point

here you go i have the same problem i have a pdf posted on this thread post 16
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4515799
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jono237
here you go i have the same problem i have a pdf posted on this thread post 16
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4515799
I've seen that TSB. Notice how only 03-04 MY's are affected according to that document (and not all, only ones with a Visteon (brand) gauge cluster). I have an '01, so it's probably not the issue in my case.
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Dave in NYC is an unknown quantity at this point

As Green01Civic says, "Thankfully, it doesn't read more than what is really in there... that would be a much bigger problem!"
I've had a similar situation since the car was basically new ('01). From full to 1/2 the progress seems like a nice, linear relationship of actual gas to gauge reading. From 1/2 full to E it seems to go down faster and faster than is "real". And as someone else said, when the light goes on -- consistently -- there is still about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons really left. Today is 11/3/12, and with the fuel shortage around NYC caused by Hurricane Sandy, I've really looked carefully and seen that 1/3rd tank = 1/3rd tank. Below that the gauge goes down geometrically -- until I turn the car off and come back after 15 minutes and it shows what I know is there. (Oh, and after filling up, as someone said, it ALWAYS takes 2 to 10 minutes to show "F", depending on the weather, often. Really would like to know how the dumb thing works, but do not want to ever have to spend $$$ have it replaced!)
As far as showing less than is really there when below 1/3rd tank, I just call it my "alarmist" fuel gauge -- at least I never run out without warning. And I ALWAYS keep a spare container in the trunk. Really came in handy yesterday with empty gas stations and all those folks in NYC without gas after hurricane Sandy. I just opened my trunk, poured and was good for another 60 miles. (And empty streets -- how refreshing in Manhattan.) Though if it has to be replaced I'd like to know what that costs -- if anyone knows?
Old 11-26-2014
Registered!!

Sherrylynn0774 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had no problems since I bought my honda civic ex new in 2004. Recently it's overheating. I've been told needs head gasket. But gas gauge goes ALL the way around. And I never know if it's right or not. I try to measure by miles. Mechanic said issues aren't related though. I just want it fixed because I'm on the road for work a lot between Oklahoma and Texas and gas stations can be limited on the road. It'd be nice to look and see exactly what I have. I think it's odd. Everyone that I tell about it says that's strange for a Honda! Is it inside the tank or the electrical or what?
Old 11-26-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherrylynn0774
I've had no problems since I bought my honda civic ex new in 2004. Recently it's overheating. I've been told needs head gasket. But gas gauge goes ALL the way around. And I never know if it's right or not. I try to measure by miles. Mechanic said issues aren't related though. I just want it fixed because I'm on the road for work a lot between Oklahoma and Texas and gas stations can be limited on the road. It'd be nice to look and see exactly what I have. I think it's odd. Everyone that I tell about it says that's strange for a Honda! Is it inside the tank or the electrical or what?

The fuel sending unit is inside the gas tank, but if the gauge needle has gone all the way past the end of the gauge you have a gauge problem.

You might try doing the gauge self diagnostic check

See the info in this thread
: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/361333-erratic-tach-speedo.html#post4671721

Your bigger problem is the overheating and head gasket. If you don't fix that ASAP it's gonna cost you an engine.
Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
The fuel sending unit is inside the gas tank, but if the gauge needle has gone all the way past the end of the gauge you have a gauge problem.

You might try doing the gauge self diagnostic check

See the info in this thread
: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/361333-erratic-tach-speedo.html#post4671721

Your bigger problem is the overheating and head gasket. If you don't fix that ASAP it's gonna cost you an engine.
lol correct. get that head gasket done ASAP. might as well do everything else since it's gonna be pulled apart anyways (water pump, all belts, plugs, etc.) it'll save you time/money in the long run since it's all gotta come off when u do the head gasket. and don't cheap out, get the head machined!