Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Gas Gauge Problem (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/342480-gas-gauge-problem.html)

Artificial 07-21-2011 03:06 PM

Gas Gauge Problem

I hopped in my car this morning with about a 1/4 tank, drove down to the university. When I hop in the car to go home, my gas gauge read where it was when I got to the university. After about 5 minutes, my gas guage is on E with the low fuel light on. I just kept driving home, knowing that I'd be fine on gas. For 10 more minutes of the drive home, the gauge was slowly going back up. By time I got home, it was back to where it was when I arrived at the university in the morning. What is going on?

Shift-E 07-21-2011 03:32 PM

Re: Gas Gauge Problem

Originally Posted by Artificial (Post 4550410)
I hopped in my car this morning with about a 1/4 tank, drove down to the university. When I hop in the car to go home, my gas gauge read where it was when I got to the university. After about 5 minutes, my gas guage is on E with the low fuel light on. I just kept driving home, knowing that I'd be fine on gas. For 10 more minutes of the drive home, the gauge was slowly going back up. By time I got home, it was back to where it was when I arrived at the university in the morning. What is going on?

Mine's been doing the same thing lately. I always reset trip meter "A" when I fill up gas, and I get around 520-530 ish before the light comes on. So i usually just go based on that.

DarkSouljur 07-21-2011 05:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem, my gas guage has done some crazy stuff like that but just go by how far you can go on one tank, thats how i measure it. My last tank i hit 640km b4 the gas light came on :D

gearbox 07-21-2011 06:25 PM

replace the fuel sending unit. ever since i had a new one put in many yrs ago, ive never had gas gauge issues. before when the car was new, it would read empty with the light on but when i filled up it only took 6 gallons lol. its a very common problem.

richs1000 07-21-2011 08:24 PM

Yeah mine will say half tank the day before. I will drive it the next day, and it will say quarter tank.

green01civic 07-22-2011 09:36 AM

I too have the gas gauge problem. Sometimes it reads as much as 1/4 tank lower than it should.

Thankfully, it doesn't read more than what is really in there... that would be a much bigger problem!

sl33pyriceboi 07-22-2011 12:09 PM

damn. and here i thought i was the only one with that problem.

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4550473)
replace the fuel sending unit. ever since i had a new one put in many yrs ago, ive never had gas gauge issues. before when the car was new, it would read empty with the light on but when i filled up it only took 6 gallons lol. its a very common problem.

where can i find that? do u have the part number? DIY?

gearbox 07-22-2011 06:32 PM

i had the dealer replace under warranty. takes a couple hrs since they have to take the rear apart and remove the fuel pump to access the sender.

green01civic 07-22-2011 10:10 PM

I don't see it listed separately of the whole fuel pump assembly anywhere. I checked RockAuto, Bernardi Honda, NAPA and AutoZone...

I also don't recall if it looked removable or not when I had my pump out to change the filter. I'm going to assume it isn't :). It's such a minor problem, I won't even bother fixing it... I got more important things to fix (sagging headliner in back, and want to touch up some scratches, and then do a complete detail of my interior... maybe I'll do a before/after of the detailing).

Artificial 07-22-2011 11:37 PM

Jeeze... Glad this wasn't just happening to me. Prolly just gonna let it be, not worth the cost of the labor.

jono237 07-23-2011 04:17 AM

here you go i have the same problem i have a pdf posted on this thread post 16
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4515799

green01civic 07-23-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jono237 (Post 4550755)
here you go i have the same problem i have a pdf posted on this thread post 16
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4515799

I've seen that TSB. Notice how only 03-04 MY's are affected according to that document (and not all, only ones with a Visteon (brand) gauge cluster). I have an '01, so it's probably not the issue in my case.

Dave in NYC 11-03-2012 05:04 PM

As Green01Civic says, "Thankfully, it doesn't read more than what is really in there... that would be a much bigger problem!"
I've had a similar situation since the car was basically new ('01). From full to 1/2 the progress seems like a nice, linear relationship of actual gas to gauge reading. From 1/2 full to E it seems to go down faster and faster than is "real". And as someone else said, when the light goes on -- consistently -- there is still about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons really left. Today is 11/3/12, and with the fuel shortage around NYC caused by Hurricane Sandy, I've really looked carefully and seen that 1/3rd tank = 1/3rd tank. Below that the gauge goes down geometrically -- until I turn the car off and come back after 15 minutes and it shows what I know is there. (Oh, and after filling up, as someone said, it ALWAYS takes 2 to 10 minutes to show "F", depending on the weather, often. Really would like to know how the dumb thing works, but do not want to ever have to spend $$$ have it replaced!)
As far as showing less than is really there when below 1/3rd tank, I just call it my "alarmist" fuel gauge -- at least I never run out without warning. And I ALWAYS keep a spare container in the trunk. Really came in handy yesterday with empty gas stations and all those folks in NYC without gas after hurricane Sandy. I just opened my trunk, poured and was good for another 60 miles. (And empty streets -- how refreshing in Manhattan.) Though if it has to be replaced I'd like to know what that costs -- if anyone knows?

Sherrylynn0774 11-26-2014 06:53 PM

I've had no problems since I bought my honda civic ex new in 2004. Recently it's overheating. I've been told needs head gasket. But gas gauge goes ALL the way around. And I never know if it's right or not. I try to measure by miles. Mechanic said issues aren't related though. I just want it fixed because I'm on the road for work a lot between Oklahoma and Texas and gas stations can be limited on the road. It'd be nice to look and see exactly what I have. I think it's odd. Everyone that I tell about it says that's strange for a Honda! Is it inside the tank or the electrical or what?

ezone 11-26-2014 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sherrylynn0774 (Post 4675059)
I've had no problems since I bought my honda civic ex new in 2004. Recently it's overheating. I've been told needs head gasket. But gas gauge goes ALL the way around. And I never know if it's right or not. I try to measure by miles. Mechanic said issues aren't related though. I just want it fixed because I'm on the road for work a lot between Oklahoma and Texas and gas stations can be limited on the road. It'd be nice to look and see exactly what I have. I think it's odd. Everyone that I tell about it says that's strange for a Honda! Is it inside the tank or the electrical or what?

The fuel sending unit is inside the gas tank, but if the gauge needle has gone all the way past the end of the gauge you have a gauge problem.

You might try doing the gauge self diagnostic check

See the info in this thread
: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/361333-erratic-tach-speedo.html#post4671721

Your bigger problem is the overheating and head gasket. If you don't fix that ASAP it's gonna cost you an engine.

greenbackz 12-19-2014 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4675065)
The fuel sending unit is inside the gas tank, but if the gauge needle has gone all the way past the end of the gauge you have a gauge problem.

You might try doing the gauge self diagnostic check

See the info in this thread
: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/361333-erratic-tach-speedo.html#post4671721

Your bigger problem is the overheating and head gasket. If you don't fix that ASAP it's gonna cost you an engine.

lol correct. get that head gasket done ASAP. might as well do everything else since it's gonna be pulled apart anyways (water pump, all belts, plugs, etc.) it'll save you time/money in the long run since it's all gotta come off when u do the head gasket. and don't cheap out, get the head machined!