7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cluster Instruments, Transmission Stick and Rear Lights not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BkacTiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster Instruments, Transmission Stick and Rear Lights not working?

<Problem Solved> Thanks for the tip guys, we ended up having to bypass the re-lay and got the SRS sign reset.

Last edited by BkacTiger; 12-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Cluster Instruments, Transmission Stick and Rear Lights not working?

Sounds like a connector is loose or something..

As for the SRS light... do a SRS reset (search this site for how to do it). If that doesnt work, check the connectors under the seat. If that still doesnt work, I'm not 100% sure, but I heard autozone has a srs diagonistic tool
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

Ah thanks. I'll remove the gauge cluster and double check the connections...there's also one more also...a random grey connector with black colored cable sticking out from between where the steering wheel area and behind the radio receiver dock is. I can try to post pictures later tomorrow...

Is there a way I can check if the airbags are working; without having to see a dealer?
Old 12-03-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure your tail, licence and marker lights are working. They are on the same circuit.
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Make sure your tail, licence and marker lights are working. They are on the same circuit.
No worries, all the lights on the outside work. The front lights and the rear lights work. Only the left rear parking (white) light doesn't work. But we already know that we just have to replace the bulb for it. I also checked connections in the back around the trunk and rear seats and everything seems to be connected just fine.

Only a really random grey connector covered in black tubing behind the radio/center console.
Old 12-03-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You might post up what wire colors are used and # if pins that are in the connector. I could try to find some info.

I would measure voltage at the RED/BLK line of the cluster with the tails on (it is the source for the dimmer circuit) Shown as connector B16.

You could try the SRS reset and see if the light will stay off.
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

I got some pictures of what it looks like...here's a few...

Gauge Cluster not lighting up.
- Day: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=P1040058.jpg

SRS staying up.
- http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=P1040056.jpg

Fuses; all is checked they're all good and working fine...
- http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=P1040061.jpg
- http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=P1040063.jpg

Random Wire sticking out?
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=P1040059.jpg
Old 12-03-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Take the gauge cluster out and check the bulbs on the back and the two connectors to make sure all wires are in there, including the two black power wires.

SRS... check the connectors under the seat, and make sure the seat belts keep tension, and then do a SRS light reset, see if it comes back. SRS is due to the crash the car was in, probly wasnt reset by whoever fixed the car

Fuses... I think you might be missing a relay in the top right of your fuse box. I'll have to double check

Random wire.. where is that exactly?
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

@ Triz:
The 'Random Wire' thing was in the back where the center console is (the radio/stereo receiver and heater/A/C)...more specifically right behind the dash where the cup holders are...I can post a more specific pic tomorrow when there's light out...

As for the SRS thing I'm not too surprised...my dad kinda forced the car on me (long story short if he told me about it; I could've gotten the same care for 2k and fully working but without a backseat...haha...; we ended up wasting 3k+ on this car already) and the technician he had worked on the car was pretty cheap...

Cars History:
I'm the 4th owner. Daughter of the previous owner got sandwhiched in a car accident by two trucks; luckily minor damage and only the bumpers and trunk was damaged. However, she some how blew the old engine by not taking care of it and never changing/checking the oil...haha... So it's a new engine. Supposedly the new engine is also from a 2002 Honda Civic LX but the 4 door version? Mines a 2 door coupe... From what a few of my family (who work on cars) have said after checking it out said was that they must've messed up or neglected to re-connect some of the wiring after completely swapping out everything under the hood...or so I've been told...

Ah yea, again about the SRS. It's only supposed to remind me to fasten my seat belt if I'm sitting on it right? Whether or not the engine is on or running; I can get out of the seat or start it without never sitting on it and it reminds me to fasten my seatbelt. I checked the cables and wiring and everything seems fastened and fine...
Old 12-04-2009

You need to check voltage to the cluster at the RED/BLK wire I mentioned. If the voltage is not present you could isolate the wire and bring a line in from one of your tails or markers RED/YEL source or locate the wire near the under-dash fuse box and tie it in from there (both wires come from same source, see attachment)

Missing relay ?? Maybe 02s & 03s are supposed to use 2 headlight relays, it should not effect your dash lights (never say never) A quick free test is to move your horn relay into that spot and test the dash lights, then move it back to original location.

Connector is too hidden to be OBDII, and does not really look like keyless reciever connector. I cant see the wire colors to research.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by CraigW; 12-04-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2009
Premium Member

I have an 01 lx 2dr and have a relay in the top right position of the engine bay fuse box. Manual says its for the high beams.. do your high beams work? If not, put a relay in there to fix that, also swap over the horn relay (same size) and see if anything gets better.

As for SRS... srs is seat belts and air bags- all the stuff that protects you in a crash. There shouldnt be a reason your key should be in the ignition and turned on without you sitting in your car. I dont believe our cars have pressure sensors in the seats to tell if we are there or not. They only look to see if the seat belt buckle is clicked in. For instance- if the passenger buckle isnt clicked in, the air bag wont deploy on that side.
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I have an 01 lx 2dr and have a relay in the top right position of the engine bay fuse box. Manual says its for the high beams.. do your high beams work? If not, put a relay in there to fix that, also swap over the horn relay (same size) and see if anything gets better.

As for SRS... srs is seat belts and air bags- all the stuff that protects you in a crash. There shouldnt be a reason your key should be in the ignition and turned on without you sitting in your car. I dont believe our cars have pressure sensors in the seats to tell if we are there or not. They only look to see if the seat belt buckle is clicked in. For instance- if the passenger buckle isnt clicked in, the air bag wont deploy on that side.
Ah I see. Mis took the reason for the buckle notification since my dad's reminds you to buckle your seat belt (if your sitting in the drivers or passengers without buckling). Does it notify you if the passenger doesn't have theirs on either? Mine doesn't, it'll go away if the driver has his/her's buckled even if the front passenger doesn't have their's buckled. The connections under the seats are nice and secure too....

For the relay switch, it doesn't do anything on my car. We didn't notice anything change at all. However, the horn doesn't work either and the fuse works perfectly fine; we suspect the mechanic who helped restore the car did a half-assed job for us...

Lastly, how can I tell if the Cluster's light bulb is bad or not? I was only able to tell that they look pretty old, and some don't have anything plugged into them...

Thanks again for the help also everyone.

Also I've put more pictures on the first post...
Old 12-05-2009

If your horn is not working you better check your brake lights (they share a fuse)

The lights that you are missing are all the ones controlled by the dimmer circuit contained in the cluster... (the chances of all those bulbs being out at once is not likely)
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

<Problem Solved> Thanks for the tip guys, we ended up having to bypass the re-lay and got the SRS sign reset.

Last edited by BkacTiger; 12-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.