8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 Civic Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NikiCivic12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2012 Civic Feedback?

I have a 2012 Civic EX-L Navi and I love it. WIth only a few complaints:

1. Performance on icy roads. Even if I'm going really slow on the highway, if it is even a little bit icy it feels unsafe to me. (kind of a fishtailing feeling). Going to try and figure out if winter tires would help maybe?

2. The navigation system. If you are driving it disables some stuff so you can ONLY use voice commands. (even when there is a passenger in the car) I understand it's a safety feature, but the voice command never understands what I am saying. Also, if I want to find something on the same route as my destination. (let's say starbucks, for example) It will give me a starbucks that is close, but not even in the area of my route (like twenty miles out of the way) Alot of GPS systems have a feature where you can find something along the route on the way to your destination. I have used the Navi on several long road trips and would say it's not worth the money.

Other than that, I have 10 k on it already and I have LOVED IT! The technology and everything is great. If I can't figure out the icy road problem though I will probably trade it this fall, because I can't have a car that doesn't feel safe in the winter.
Old 02-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The stock tires aren't the greatest for winter. Winter tires may help, but only if you learn how to drive.
It is a small, light car. It ain't a Suburban. Slow the F down.

Read your owners manual about ABS, TCS, and VSA. Learn what they do and what they can't do.
All the safety features a manufacturer can install in a car can be easily overcome with sufficient amounts of stupidity.

Read your Navigation owners manual and learn its abilities and limitations.

It is not updated in real-time. Data may not be current or accurate.
It's like looking in last years phone book and expecting your new neighbor next door to be listed already. Ain't gonna happen. You have to buy an updated Navi DVD to get more current info. And it is quickly outdated.

Voice commands aren't quite intuitive. There is a specific list of commands that it recognizes in the manual.
Certain voices (pitch) aren't easily recognized by the system.
Same goes for accents, it ain't gonna unnastan ebonics or redneck or Joisey or Yuper (what's that all aboot, eh?) very well.
Speak in a clear, midwestern newscaster voice. That works best.

(Just for laughs, I like to yell "BLOW ME" at it and see what happens. Sometimes the A/C actually turns on in some of the cars.)

Check out this document. Toward the end of it is info you may be able to use.
http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A05-032.PDF

HTH
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

MogRules is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2012 Civic EX about a month and a half ago now as my wife's car, we upgraded from an 08 Civic LX-SR. The only option we didn't go with was the navi , because we don't leave town a lot and really the upgrade just wasn't worth it. Our 08 was a Coupe and the new one is a sedan because we quickly realised the practicality of the 4 door when trying to go out with friends or pretty much anything else. I also bought a 2011 Mazda 3 in August to replace my ageing 1997 Z24. The 08 was quite a nice handling car but seemed to be lacking for me in the acceleration curve and doing anything like going up hill and accelerating or passing but in it's defence I was used to a much larger engine. The 2012 in my opinion had a more acceptable acceleration curve and seems more responsive then the 2008. That being said I am not a big fan of the interior of the 2012 just because I don't like the hard plastic design that they took and the kind of cliff like dash design, but in Honda's defence most car companies have gone this route and a lot of cars that I looked at all use the same construction materials. IMO the 2012 does not handle quite as well either, but this could be a difference in the coupe to the sedan and the way you sit in it and don't sit as low or far back without the bucket seats. I feel like the 2008 could out handle the 2012 and felt more comfortable when pulling the car through a corner. With the Eco mode on the car is def more sluggish and does not rev as high before shifting but turning Eco mode off at the push of a button will solve that problem. The 2012 is def quieter to drive in terms of road noise and the stereo is much better sounding and with the addition of the info screen it gives the dash a more high end look. The biggest thing that is driving me nuts is the placement of the arm rests in the car, they are way to low...you feel like your falling over when you want to lean on an arm rest on the doors and the car just does not feel as comfortable as the 2008 was which was not as apparent during the test drive.

The bluetooth is nice but they should have added a bit more functionality to the voice commands instead of relying on someone to add pre set numbers and they only being able to tell the car to dial those. My Mazda I can tell it to dial any number I want but with the Honda I have to have the number already set up in the car to dial it or I have to dial it from my phone still.
Old 05-28-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MogRules
The biggest thing that is driving me nuts is the placement of the arm rests in the car, they are way to low...you feel like your falling over when you want to lean on an arm rest on the doors
This.
I didn't really become aware of this until my first long trip in the car, and now it bugs me all the time.
I always find myself leaning onto the center console lid.
If I lower the seat to make the armrest usable, the seat is too low for my liking.
I would like to adapt a center console lid from an 8th gen, one that slides.
Old 05-29-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
You would be the man for the job !
Would it get you any additional height ??

I hated the low center armrest on my 00 Corolla....so I ordered an identical one from a junkyard and affixed it directly over the original lid and it worked great and looked good as well. The added height was perfect.
Old 05-29-2012

Originally Posted by CraigW
Would it get you any additional height ??
If I ever manage to get a FREEBIE from a crash, flood, insurance, or Lease turn-in, I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

I'm also looking for a freebie backup camera to play with....
Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

MogRules is an unknown quantity at this point

This.
This would be awesome and I would be all over it provided I could match the interior. I don't know why they got rid of this option, it was awesome.
Old 05-29-2012

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MogRules
I don't know why they got rid of this option, it was awesome.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what interior changes have been made when the 2013 Civic comes out. It should not be too drastic.... but who knows.

They need to bring back the 16" wheels as well.
Old 05-29-2012

They need to bring back the 16" wheels as well.
The EX has them now.
Old 05-29-2012

The EX has them now.
And there is a good possibility it will remain exactly the same with the 2013.
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

skip mitchell is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2012 Civic HF been getting 42/43 mpg got about 5000 miles on it so far,well pleased I traded my 2010 civic EX for the HF the EX got about 34mpg,so big increase over the 2010,my 2010 had issues with cutting or iregular wear on right rear tire,took it back to the dealer several times under warrenty to see if they would check line up on that side,they wouldn't, so I was going to get it aligned with new tires but decited to trade it off, the new civic has 15" tires and I like that. The Econ button is great for the milage and the blue to green bars in the insterment panel keeps you from lead footing all the time and gives you a direction of fuel economy..Yes I do like the 2012
Old 06-23-2012
2012 Civic

Guardian7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bought a 2012 Civic LX and Love the car, my only complaint to Honda was the insulation missing from the rear trunk lid. We now have a 1000 miles on the car and the peppy little 1.8L engine feels like it's gaining more power as it breaks in, the 16 valve single overhead cam SOHC design means fewer moving parts and reduced maintenance compared to a DOHC. Not sure how they are doing 4 valves per cylinder on a single cam but I like it. A few small power mods to this engine could will it burning rubber. The steering and breaks feel very precision making it fun to drive and the more aggressive you drive the better it feels! Honda gave the car enough power for size and weight to really get up when you need to pass. Testing the ECON Button put a smile on my face, we made a 130 mile round trip to Los Angeles with ECON turned on and the mileage computer reported an average of 48.5 mpg with cruise set at 70 mph wow! Why buy the Hybrid version if you can get this kind of mileage? During my test drive the sales guy mentioned battery replacement on the Civic Hybrid was $1600 every few years, this plus higher initial cost with very little difference in rated mpg prompted me to purchase the non-hybrid Civic. The ECON Freeway MPG is hard to believe after owning a Jeep Wrangler which only got about 12-15 mpg. The ECON System is very impressive when you want to maximize fuel economy driving the freeway and using cruise control! We also love the Intelligent Multimedia Interface, I play all my music from a USB thumb drive and got my favorite wallpapers of my Girl on the IMID display! The plastic dash does look a little on the cheap but I plan to install a dash cover to deal with this. In closing, dress this car up with some nice wheels and a rear spoiler she should turn a few heads.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...my-button.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-09 00.59.32.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	83578  

Last edited by Guardian7; 06-23-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2012
Registered!!

Pboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Well, Honda is definitely paying attention to the criticism. Refresh in 2013 to address the problem. One year sooner than planned.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/31/h...dst-criticism/
Hence, I'm going to wait for the 2013

Perhaps, more efficiency (direct injected and CVT) and improved ride quality

Funny how the current reviews bash the Civic while there's still no question that if's probably the safest, more reliable model in its segment.

Interior materials and a little road noise is a reasonable trade off to gain economy, reliability, safety, and resale value.
Old 07-20-2012
Registered!!

immajackuup is an unknown quantity at this point

got my si 3 weeks ago,first pic isn't tinted second pic is.
35% front and 25% rear.

Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

rctoddjr59 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2012 Civic Coupe, EX-L. I like it for the economy. Guess it depends what you've been driving. I had three neons in a row. Liked them all as fun econo cars (didn't have SRT version). So this civic is a step up in comfort and gets better mileage. I understand it doesn't perform to normal civic standards and hopefully for everyone out there who wants that, Honda will go back to what made it popular in the first place. But, for what I want, it fits nicely.
Old 07-21-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the 2012.. I think the coupe is really nice. Sedan is blah.
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

lefty976 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the oil change interval(maintenance light) interval for the 2012?
Old 08-13-2012

Originally Posted by lefty976
If you let it come on... likely 6500-7500 or abouts.

I base mine around 5k and pay no attention to MM.
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

lefty976 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it would come on longer than 6500-7500 miles since the 2012 now runs synthetic from the factory.
Old 08-13-2012

^^^ Are you sure there is not a way to view your oil life % ??
Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

I have about 11k miles on my 2012 EX. The biggest issue I see with the car would be the blind spots. Many new cars have this serious rake to their designs making the rear of the car higher than it has to be. You also sit very low in these Civics. I'm in the habit of backing into parking spaces now. The rear head rests are removed on a lot of the cars I see out on the highway. When getting into the passing lane, it's more of an effort than it should be. I really like the car. It's nimble, gets great gas mileage, easy to park and is ready to pass when not in Econ mode.
Old 09-02-2012

Originally Posted by lefty976
I see the cars go anywhere from 4000 miles to 12,000+ miles, it all depends on driving conditions and how you drive it. Average drivers here get 6-10k (just a guess).

Leave the factory fill oil in that engine until the minder says to change it, or minimum 5000 miles. The factory wants the original oil left in it at least that long for proper break-in.

I base mine around 5k and pay no attention to MM.
No problem with that method either (save for a couple things), but oils today are engineered to last much longer than that. I personally am trying to embrace the new oil tech, I make reminder stickers for 15% on most customer cars unless they are oil drinkers. I have posted about my own oil change habits before.

When was the last time you saw real sludge in a newer engine?

^^^ Are you sure there is not a way to view your oil life % ??
On a 2012, just manipulate the steering wheel buttons. Menu>>vehicle info>>Maintenance (or something like this), it comes up on the MID display.

Originally Posted by EX-Dave
the blind spots.
Noticed this too, on far more than just Hondas lineup.