8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Vent always open?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evil_Ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Vent always open?

I have a 2012 Civic Sedan EX...sold my 07 Wrangler for it, it's a bit of an adjustment

Anyway, is it normal for the ventilation system to always be open? I ask because I can feel a draft from the vents in the dash, even when the AC **** is set to 'off'. It's really noticable on humid days, when I have the AC running...I turn it off and the humidity comes right back in through the vents. (This is at highway speed)

Is that normal? Or am I missing some **** somewhere that shuts that vent?

I couldn't find one, and while the two open/close dials on either side of the dash work for those respective vents, they don't close the vents in the center of the dash...

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vent always open?

Yes, It is normal when moving.
Old 07-07-2011
Registered!!

Ok, is there a way to stop it?

Otherwise I basically need to leave the AC on all the time (which just eats gas)...and I don't even wanna think about winter, if it's going to be injecting -20 to -40 cold into the car whether I want it to or not.
Old 07-07-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

No real way to stop it, you could try switching modes after turning A/C off (go to face/floor or floor)

Flip the direction fins up or down.
Old 07-11-2011
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Evil_Ed
Otherwise I basically need to leave the AC on all the time (which just eats gas)
Haha your woried about wasting gas by leaving the ac on after coming from a jeep wrangler??
Old 07-12-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

press the recirculate button. it closes the outside vents and only uses air from inside the cabin. just be aware you will be sealed off from the outside and over time this becomes a problem when you run out of oxygen. for short trips its not an issue.
Old 07-13-2011

You need some air running through the interior... if you press the recirc button your windows will pretty quickly start to fog up inside.
Old 07-13-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to run recirc mode for about 6 months because of a really bad exhaust leak that I didn't have time to fix. To my surprise the windows hardly fogged up at all. In fact it still defogged pretty well. Definitely not as good as regular mode but at least I didn't have to smell exhaust every time I stopped.
Old 07-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you do need to use the recirc button in the summer months with a/c on otherwise it will never get cold if its 90F+ outside. by using the cooler inside air, the compressor is better able to cool the air. on the highway, there should be enough airflow to the condensor that you can use fresh air mode with a/c and be okay.
Old 07-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Haha your woried about wasting gas by leaving the ac on after coming from a jeep wrangler??
At $40/tank, getting 350 miles vs getting 400 miles is a big deal. That's almost a full day's commute for me.
Old 07-16-2011
Registered!!

You know, I didn't even think of the recirc button...duh. I'll give that a try. Thanks all!