8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

8th Gen Auto Transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTDan is an unknown quantity at this point
8th Gen Auto Transmission Issues?

I tried searching the forum and I've been reading through all the issues on the 8th gen civics here for about the last 2 hours or so. Not too many serious issues it sounds like. But, I didn't hear anything about the auto transmissions having the issues that the 7th Gen transmissions had. Did Honda fix the issues that the older 4 speeds were having when they went with the 5 speed auto for the 8th Gen?
Old 03-07-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 8th Gen Auto Transmission Issues?

I'd think so.
Old 03-07-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

From what i've read... the 8th gen autos are more solid than the 5 (&6) speed manual transmissions. Hardly any auto troubles, unless abused of course.
Old 03-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

change the fluid yearly and the filter too, you wont have any issues.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Alright, thanks! I read about all the issues that the previous Civic Autos were having and I thought that surely the newer ones must have some too, but I wasn't finding anything. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the 8th gen had a filter that can be actually be changed, not embedded in the transmission, is my understanding. Maybe improvements in other parts of design too.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the 8th gen had a filter that can be actually be changed, not embedded in the transmission, is my understanding. Maybe improvements in other parts of design too.
I notice you have an '02 there. Is it an auto? Have you had any issues with it? My room mate has had his 03' hybrid since it was new. Has 96k miles on it now. Other than a few hybrid quirks (jerky starts, weird braking at times, etc.), the only non-maintenance issue he's had on it is a broken motor mount about a year ago. From what I can gather reading here, it sounds like Honda may have cheaped out a bit on the clutch packs in their autos for a few years. Maybe they went with some higher grade materials with the newer transmissions, IDK.
Old 03-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

non, manual.
rebuilt one at 70k due to too much wheelspin in autoX. corrected rear camber since
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

manfai is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting conflicting answers from the dealer on the location of the transmission filter. Is it an internal or external filter?
Old 05-12-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The filter is external on the 8th gens. Not going to change mine... just going with DW1 drain and refills every 25 k miles.
Old 05-12-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

why not? it should be changed every year if possible, or at least every 30k. eventually it will clog enough to slow down the fluid, which will cause the pump to work harder and fail sooner.
Old 05-12-2011

My 05 was fine without a filter, now at 130k + W/ATF-Z1 every 25k.

The 5AT is an awesome bit of engineering unless someone kills it or puts some crappy jiffy lube fluid in it. My biggest concern is switching to DW1.

When I talked to the Honda tech no longer at the dealer he said it would not need changed, and if so certainly not once a year.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

Do one drain and refill every 10,000 miles. Or 3 or 4 every 30,000 miles to get all the old oil out.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
digger is an unknown quantity at this point

No issue just questions: 2009 honda 4door, 5speed automatic. I've drained the fluid and refilled with 2.5 quarts. I also have a filter from Honda. How do i access the filter under the battery? Will i have trouble code issues after disconnecting the battery?
Old 05-15-2011
Premium Member

do you have to remove the battery? there is prolly another way to reach it. but if you have to disconnect, then you need to have the code for the radio to work and also reset the ecu and do the idle learn. takes a month at least for the ecu to learn before you will pass a smog check (setting the readiness codes).
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
digger is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i figgured it out for an 2009 Civic 4door transmission filter. To gain access to the The transmission filter you only have to jack the front of the car and take off the splash shield. Done.
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

oscar11487 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2007 ex coupe my car will hit drive park n neutral but wont reverse wat could it b?