8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Gas Mileage For Auto Vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resobek is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas Mileage For Auto Vs. Manual

Hi, all.

newbie, here. looked for a posting like this but couldn't find any. Plan to purchase an '08 civic and really want a manual but want to hear from those w/ both autos and manuals. I know what Honda and the EPA say, but i am interested in hearing what 'real world' mileage you all are getting w/ each of these transmissions (ok transaxle, too) thanks.
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

Jutty is on a distinguished road
Re: Gas Mileage For Auto Vs. Manual

stick shift, get about 33...i mix it up between economical (shifting at 2k and pissing people off), on-ramp/passing where i go up to 5-6k, for the most part shift around 3k though
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

gn3ric is an unknown quantity at this point

alright, i jut got my civic ex 07 in July and i have an Auto. "Supposedly" that you tend to get bad mileage in the beginning because they put an some sort of oil for the engine. After the first oil change you should be getting better gas mileage. So going back to my car i get ... 30mpg?... not so great but it's on mix condition. Where i live is mostly freeway & local so i don't know.
Old 11-07-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

usually manual gets better mileage if you know how to shift, auto has a torque converter that robs power and eats up more gas to do the same thing. it takes about 20k miles to fully break in these new motors, but you should start seeing good numbers around 10k maybe. city driving will eat gas, highway you will get much higher numbers.
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

my 06 civic dx.....dont have a clue, never thought about it but its alright.

as for the Si....my friend has the 07' and he was complaining sometime ago how it got 18mpg oooF
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

Argo is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine has a standard transmission and on the first tank of gas it was 33 mpg, most of it city driving at low speed (cruising through residential areas doing lots of stops and starts to get better at not stalling it, haha!) FWIW, I shift at 2500 rpm.
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

pedigree can only hope to improve

fact: manual transmission gets better gas mileage than automatic
heres a link to another forum: http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-...39906BDB-prod5
heres an actual site: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...al_auto_a1.asp

fact: civics in general have pretty good gas mileage and its one of their huge selling points

its been said before in this thread and in that first link but depending on how you drive will affect your gas mileage. if your driving at high RPM's (lets say 7k) guaranteed you'll burn a lot more gas than you would at 3 or 4k and even that can get high. Highway mileage is great on my 2000 civic dx which is manual. i took it from montreal where i live to niagara falls (about 700 km there and 700 km back) on about 100$-120$ of gas (here in canada our gas was getting pretty high this summer about 1.19 a liter)
so its pretty good compared to other cars but go for a manual if you can drive it
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

Resobek is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all for the info. I do know that how one drives and the conditions existing affect mileage so that's not a suprise. For me there is the 'fun factor' in having a manual. I've always had manuals but have driven a friend's '07 civic w/ an auto and, while nice, it's not particularly fun -- more like riding than driving. My post was to elicit from those w/ experience what their real world mpgs were. thnx.
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

pedigree can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Resobek
thanks all for the info. I do know that how one drives and the conditions existing affect mileage so that's not a suprise. For me there is the 'fun factor' in having a manual. I've always had manuals but have driven a friend's '07 civic w/ an auto and, while nice, it's not particularly fun -- more like riding than driving. My post was to elicit from those w/ experience what their real world mpgs were. thnx.

so much more fun to drive a manual
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

Jutty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pedigree
so much more fun to drive a manual
agreed...but while sitting in traffic it blows...
Old 11-21-2007
Registered!!

wincros is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Resobek
Hi, all.

newbie, here. looked for a posting like this but couldn't find any. Plan to purchase an '08 civic and really want a manual but want to hear from those w/ both autos and manuals. I know what Honda and the EPA say, but i am interested in hearing what 'real world' mileage you all are getting w/ each of these transmissions (ok transaxle, too) thanks.
I have an 07 EX manual with only about 3000 miles on it. Not as great around town as I had hoped(lead foot?), but on a recent day trip I averaged over 36 mpg the usual CA traffic flow over the speed limit and a lot of less than 35 mph in Joshua Tree National Park. I think that is terrific.

If you look at fueleconomy.gov and click on the links to real owners' mileage you will see that the manual transmission civics get better mileage than the automatics regardless of what is posted on the sticker.
Old 11-23-2007
Registered!!

baillou2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just calculated my mpg on my 98 Civic DX, manual. It came to 32 mpg. To be honest I was hoping for better. I put a short ram intake on it which I hear helps. The tire pressure is optimal as well.
But I should have probably waited till the tank was almost empty to get a more accurate average rating for driving round town and highways and such. As it is, I refilled 4.13 gallons with a trip of 128.3 miles.
Old 11-29-2007
Registered!!

ericsd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Gas Mileage For Auto Vs. Manual

I own a Honda Civic 2006 ex auto and after 900 miles and installing a k&n short ram intake, I average 38 mpg without running ac and driving mostly city.
Old 12-01-2007
Registered!!

PLENTYofCARS is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an 07 si coupe with roughly 8200mi, i drive 34mi round trip 6 days a week, mostly highway. i get 31mpg, and thats cruising at 75/80mph..with the occasional downshift to pass some moron doing 40 in the left lane, haha
Old 12-06-2007
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my 2dr 07 with the manual trans, right now it has between 600 and 1000 miles on it give or take a few, I have consistantly gotten 34mpg. Mostly on country roads. My dad go 36 out of it when he took it for a trip down I-80.