Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

What is 'Rice'? My analogy.

Old 06-28-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
What is 'Rice'? My analogy.

I don't know where to post this article I've created....

I decided to define to the best of my ability what the term 'rice' really means...

The terminology 'rice' or 'ricer' is all too familiar with many of the associates that immerse themselves with the exciting world of sport compact aftermarket tuning.

It is my understanding that the verb-age 'ricer' derives from a racial slur most commonly referring to the ethnicity of the tuner. In which arguably is the creating force of the performance tuning world is the Japanese automotive culture. We are all aware of the fact that Japan is best suited to grow and consume rice due to it’s wet climate and limited land resources. Then said correlation between stereotype evolves from describing solely the person driving the import vehicle, to describing the culture which contains the people whom participate.

As the aftermarket import tuning scene grows to proportions none of us expected to see, it begins to split itself within categories some of which include manufacturer backed show and demo vehicles, dedicated track vehicles, and weekend warriors constructed as and for daily drivers.

Good parts require good labor and good technology. Good technology and good labor require good money. As more and more companies become involved in the industry due to its growth; the competition to obtain the most business skyrockets and sends parts prices as well as parts quality way down. (As compared to the original JDM counterpart in most cases.)

Somewhere between the dispersion of the types of modifications and the onslaught of competing manufacturers, ‘Ricer’ changed from being thrown at the people, to the culture, and finally to a specific type of modification or cheapness if you will.

Even now, as we enter new realms of tuning and incorporation of exotic designs and concepts, the term ‘ricey’ lands itself as a descriptive word for a particular style of modification. This term encompasses everything from large, predominantly non-functional body kits and body modifications to unorthodox wheels, accessories, and stickers.

Personal thoughts:
Many of the most passionate of people will agree that ‘rice’ is ok. If that’s what you want, then do it. Do not let any one else’s opinion about something that you do affect what you do. But please, do the research before you buy the parts. And know your stuff, before you exclaim that something is ‘rice’.There are many modifications that are in fact insulted in it’s nature due to it’s similarity to the original function and design by being called ‘rice’ when it is truly a race worthy application. Think to yourself, “When was the last time that I called something rice, and why did I call it rice? Did I know the part before I called it rice? Do I know it’s origination and/or functionality?”
Old 06-28-2007
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What is 'Rice'? My analogy.

This is why i don't use the word rice anymore. Now a days i just either keep it to myself or just plain call them as i see them which is "****". Rice is played out and its been twisted around and lost its meaning. Good post none the less
Old 06-28-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidnightCivic
This is why i don't use the word rice anymore. Now a days i just either keep it to myself or just plain call them as i see them which is "****". Rice is played out and its been twisted around and lost its meaning. Good post none the less
That's EXACTLY what I was referring to, it's just a lost cause, evolved from something much different.
Old 06-28-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

hehe someone was asking about this some time back
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...new-forum.html

but more of what items are rice, not the definition.
Old 06-28-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Ha ha, yeah I posted in that thread just now. That's funny though.

I wrote this article to try and clear the air about the term, and the history of the word.
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

2skys1imit3 is an unknown quantity at this point

meh...nice article though
Old 07-01-2007
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute

B-, good valid points should of elaborated more, overall excellent work keep up the good effort son
Old 07-02-2007
A long winded 7th genr

^Ha ha, he just called me son....That's classic.

What do you think I should elaborate on? I also wrote another article pertaining to what parts are mostly considered rice and how they're original JDM counterpart is also commonly misidentified as rice. I think I might make another post on it.
Old 07-03-2007
Registered!!

marysmith is an unknown quantity at this point

nice article
Old 04-06-2008
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

"RICE" doesnt consist of anything but a car being imported now-a-days. Its all from the V8, I4 contrast. The old heads hate 4 cyl. for some reason. LOL fill your car up, Ill fill mine and see who has to spend more money to make through the week. I4 WINS. With gas being 3-4$ a gal. i choose I4 anyday. Sorry 8's keep it in the garage for sunny weekends!!!
Old 04-06-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I've been modifying cars for a number of years now and have never used the word rice. I see it as simply a way for people to make fun of someone else without putting any thought nor effort into what it is specifically they find wrong with the person's taste and why.
Old 04-06-2008
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

^^ Agreed
Old 04-06-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

According to urbandictionary.com RICE is defined as such

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. (R.I.C.E.)Parts put on cars to make them look fast, when they have no internal tuning, and are actually slow as hell. Parts usually consist of excessivley angular bodykits, large rear spoilers, neon, sponsor stickers, chrome rims, fake "coffee can" exhaust tips, and loud, annoying paint jobs and/or vynils. Sometimes parts are do-it-yourself installed and are basically duct taped to the car.

I just put this on here for ***** and giggles.

Wagner
Old 04-09-2008
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything that has stupid euro tail lights, any form of hood scoops, any weld on muffler thats loud as **** and sounds like ****, any huge *** wing, any neon lights, any stickers that are not clean, any brand name stickers.

yeah thats RICE IMO
Old 04-09-2008
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DeX
I've been modifying cars for a number of years now and have never used the word rice. I see it as simply a way for people to make fun of someone else without putting any thought nor effort into what it is specifically they find wrong with the person's taste and why.
word
Old 05-16-2009
Registered!!

Retell is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we should replace the slur ricer with the word... "mooer" It is slow with lots of flashy spots :P