General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

hybrid cluster compatible with 03+ EX style?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hybrid cluster compatible with 03+ EX style?

yeah all normal functions work except the additional hybrid fuctions like battery level, charge, etc.
Old 07-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
space_eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i finished the swap, everything works except my temp gauge and hybrid gauges, so fuel and all lights work . Looks real nice, especially @ night.
Old 07-13-2009
Registered!!

driven905 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post a picture of it.
Old 07-13-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice work. i dont think anyones got the temp gauge to work yet.
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

badhabits is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate Fords, but I'm in love with their hybrid cluster... Wonder if theres a way to wire it up and make a custom cluster bezel with fiberglass?
Old 07-15-2009
Premium Member

that looks very strange to me lol. too much graphics like a computer monitor. the middle part is nice, it looks like the 03-05 civic sedan cluster almost exactly.

Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

badhabits is an unknown quantity at this point

I like how computerized it is, thats what made my jaw drop, also what made me realize theres no way I'm smart enough to figure out the wiring..
Old 07-17-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DieMaster
ok not letting this die again for what the 4th time

my black box is dead. i gave up on it. thats the easyiest to a swaper but as i feared, a nightmare to try to figure out code wise. and i didnt get one result. like edison and his light bulb " i havent failed, i just found 2000 ways that dont work."

i have a hybrid cluster as stated before. i'm making a harness for it so i can easaly swap it out for the 04 EX cluster i use as the "stock" cluster. (milage is going to suck having to keep both clusters upto date lol)

i got a scangauge so i can see if the MPG readings are accurate.

Sniperscout, u have a cluster allready hooked up yes? i would love to have u help me/ us figure this **** out. do u have a auto or manny cluster? please send me a PM.

has anyone thought of replacing the multiplex unit with the one form a hybrid? or try uploading a hybrid program to a non hybrid unit?

***cough*** i'm also working on puting the autoclimate control in so we'll find out what that lt grn and blk/wht wire does hopfully. i think it's the "ECON" signal out TO the cluster to enable the auto stop /shiftlights and to tell the computer(s).

ALSO i have access to a database so any wiring diagrams for any honda civic i can get. including the hybrid.
i can tell you that the mpg is just slighty off by about 100 mpg...basically it says that you are always doing 120mpg.

I have an auto cluster in a manual
Old 07-17-2009
Premium Member

did you ever get the temp gauge working?
Old 01-23-2010
Registered!!

space_eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Still curious about the temp gauge and volt meter, everyone just gave up on this?
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

I finally had some success with this thing. When sending a ~550Hz TTL level square wave into MTRA wire, I was able to get the first 2 indicators of coolant temp to light up. Vehicle temperature was ~143F as listed by the ScanGauge2. As the temp went down the indicators would disappear. If I slightly adjusted the frequency the indicators would come back. I had no luck getting indicators to light up after running the engine (until I let it cool back down to ~140-150 and could get the first two again).

I will be going back in to do more testing and find more data points. Hopefully build out a theory to find out what frequency signal lights up indicators at higher temps.

This one ain't dead yet...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	first success.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	77975   Click image for larger version

Name:	first success 2.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	77976  
Old 03-01-2010
Premium Member

nice work so far
Old 03-11-2010
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
did you ever get the temp gauge working?
nope, i thought i shorted the cluster out at one point so i stopped trying to make it work.
Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Update:
I'm going to send 15-20 resistances between 50-750 ohm into ECM in place of actual ECT sensor. I can do all my testing with key ON, engine off - battery on charger. ScanGauge2 gives me the temperature of each resistance. Then I only have one variable (frequency) to vary to light up the appropriate number of indicators for that resistance. 50 ohms should light it up nearly full (all 14 indicators, >250 F) and 750 ohm should be one indicator or so (~40 F).

If I can match a few resistances up to a few frequencies I think I'm well on the way to something.

My testing on TI Sig & HVAC system wires has been inconclusive but I have a pretty good suspicion hybrid battery state of charge (SOC) gauge and Charge/Assist gauge are related. As the hybrid batt Assists the motor, the battery's SOC decreases. As the engine Charges the battery, the battery's SOC increases (duh). I've never driven a hybrid vic but I'd be interested to see how closely these two different gauges track each other while the vehicle is driven. Any hybrid civic owners out there care to comment? Maybe I'll ask on an MPG forum.

Last thing, charging indicator is easy to get back, look for white/blue (ALT L) wire @ ECM. IIRC it's in same plug as white/red & white/green alternator control wires. My indicator now goes on with key to ON, and goes off when engine is started&running. If I pull the alternator ignition fuse and then start the car the indicator stays on. That passes in my book.