General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

hybrid cluster compatible with 03+ EX style?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr.rowdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Come back gear box
Old 03-07-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
talk about raising a dead thread but we (i) am still intrested if u ever got it working, the dead pics, and dead links.
Old 03-08-2007
Registered!!

luciferi is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is what I found out by testing my manual cluster.

Blue
1 blu/org immobizer ground to turn on
2wht/red 12v
3wht/blu charge light ground to turn on
4grn/orn MIL ground to turn on
5yel/blk fuel gauge
6-
7yel/blu EPS ground to turn on
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13red/blk 2 silver hash IMA ground to turn on
14lt grn ?????
15-
16blk groud
17yel 12v switched
18wht/red 12v
19red (1 silver hash) dash light dimmer out -
20-
21-
22pnk/blu Side SRS ground to turn on

Green
1blu/yel cruise ground to turn on
2pnk SRS 12 to turn off
3-
4red (2 silver hash) ??????
5wht/grn multiplex
6lt grn/red ??????
7blu/wht vss
8blu tach
9red/blk (1 silver hash) dash lights +
10grn/yel R turn signal 12v to turn on
11-
12grn/red L turn signal 12v to turn on
13red/blu high beam ground to turn on while red/yel has 12v
14red/yel headlight on/park 12v
15-
16brn ?????
17blk Ground
18-
19-
20blk/wht auto stop ground to turn on
21yel/red oil pressure ground to turn on
22blu/red ABS ground to turn off

The coolant temp does not work, not sure why.
The charge light is seperate and not on the multiplex. It needs to have wire run to ecu or alt.
The charge/assist meter and battery meter do nothing.
I have 4 wires that I have not figured out yet: brn, lt grn, lt grn/red, and red
Old 03-13-2007
You VTEC...I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light
Great Post!
Old 03-13-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sniperscout
Great Post!
Do you have a diagram for the hybrid cluster?
Old 03-13-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
looks like its working pretty good. i think i have diagram at home. lemme search through the backup drives. hmm i guess not. its just the dash lights circuit, and the elec manual doesnt cover the hybrid. maybe ask the dealer? theres a separate book for the hybrids.

Last edited by gearbox; 03-13-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: hybrid cluster compatible with 03+ EX style?

i have a 01 lx how can i wire mine up ive been trying to do this for over a year i ended up givving up and putting it to the side lol.. but i really wanna install this sumone help me!!!
Old 04-19-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

i might be inclined to figure out how to get the other 2 gauges working. mabye make the chrg/asist a boost/vac gauge. just need to find a hybrid cluster now.

come back gearbox! we need your suport
Old 04-19-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light

hah if i wasnt in love with mine id sell it i just wish i knew how to wire it in...
Old 04-19-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

hm maybe ill stop by honda tomorrow grab the wiring for hyrbrid and 01 civic lx from my parts lady haha shes pimp so im sure shell photocopy sum pages out of it for me
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

from the etm

Blue
1 blu/org immobilizer ground to turn on
2wht/red 12v
3wht/blu charge light ground to turn on DC to DC convertor on hybrid
4grn/orn MIL ground to turn on
5yel/blk fuel gauge
6-
7yel/blu EPS ground to turn on
8-blk/red AT Nuetral signal ground to turn on
9-wht AT Reverse signal ground to turn on
10-blk/blu AT park signal ground to turn on
11-
12-
13red/blk dash lights +
14lt grn climate control
15-
16blk ground
17yel 12v switched
18wht/red 12v
19red dash light dimmer out -
20-Lt grn AT Transmission range swich
21-grn/blk AT output to reverse light relay
22pnk/blu Side SRS ground to turn on

Green
1blu/yel cruise ground to turn on
2pnk SRS 12 to turn off
3-
4red TI Signal from ecm
5wht/grn multiplex
6lt grn/red MTRA signal
7blu/wht vss
8blu tach
9red/blk silver hash IMA ground to turn on
10grn/yel R turn signal 12v to turn on
11-wht/blu CANADA DRL control unit
12grn/red L turn signal 12v to turn on
13red/blu high beam ground to turn on while red/yel has 12v
14red/yel headlight on/park 12v
15-
16brn Ground for fuel level sender
17blk Ground
18-
19-pnk CANADA washer fluid level
20blk/wht auto stop ground to turn on Engine ready signal from ecm
21yel/red oil pressure ground to turn on
22blu/red ABS ground to turn off

The etm states the ecm gives the coolant temp to the multiplex but there is no direct connection between the two. I think this may be a generic description.

The hybrid has seperate tcm and ecm instead of a combined tcm like a regular civic. The tcm connects to the multiplex bus vs the pcm. The tcm also outputs the vss signal for the auto. The regular civic gets the coolant temp from the pcm through the multiplex. The hybrid tcm connects to the multiplex instead of the pcm. The hybrid coolant temp goes to the ecm, pcm and climate control. The ecm does not connect to the multiplex and the tcm is auto only which leaves us with the climate control. The climate control has a wire going to the cluster without a good reason. I am thinking the coolant temp signal may come from there. I connected the multiplex wire to the wire for climate control and nothing happened. It could also come from the MTRA or TI signals that output from the ecm directly to the cluster. I need to get a hold of a service manual instead of the etm to find more info. I wish I knew someone that had a hybrid to pop out a few wires and see when the coolant temp stops working.

ecm=engine control module
tcm=transmission control module
pcm=powertrain control module(combined engine an transmission)
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

Also the fuel level sender grounds through the cluster instead of directly to ground. I changed the ground to the cluster hoping it may affect fuel mileage indicator but it did not. The fuel level seemed to work fine both ways but it must be wired that way for a reason.
Old 08-03-2007
Registered!!

alscrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you figure out the temp gauge yet?? I did a swap on my crx with an s2000 cluster. The s2000 cluster has a digital coolant gauge like the hybrid. I needed a special chip to make it work!!! It will not work without it!!!!

I have more info on the chip if needed. And a full explanation on the reasoning behind needing the chip for the digital gauge.
Old 08-03-2007
Registered!!

I have not tried anything else yet. I dont think that modifry adapter will work. The S2000 cluster has a specific temp input but the hybid does not. Also the amount of leds is different from both the adapters. The s2000 seems to be an older wiring structure than the civics. It is a $70 gamble to try it.

The surefire way to get it to work is get a hybrid ecu and wire it just to the cluster. They are $125 on ebay
Old 08-03-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

i have a hybrid cluster for sale if anyone is interested
Old 08-03-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

I was looking into it and I think I need to get a hybrid TCM and multiplex controller to get the ECT to work. I did try red/white ECT out directly to the light green that supposedly comes from A/C controller but nothing happened. The ECT signal absolutely comes from the multiplex only on the hybrid cluster, and the ECM and TCM both have the ECT sensor input. Like you say it's kind of expensive for something that might not work at all though.
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

bring-ing this threa back to life yet again. i got the hybrid cluster $30 bucks now i just need to figure it out. since i dont have side SRS i changed it to a VTEC light

i'm working on a "black box" to make the coolant work. but right now it's just a box as the firmware dosent even move the needle(s) yet. eventualy it will alow us to bring to life the cluster
Old 09-28-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DieMaster
bring-ing this threa back to life yet again. i got the hybrid cluster $30 bucks now i just need to figure it out. since i dont have side SRS i changed it to a VTEC light

i'm working on a "black box" to make the coolant work. but right now it's just a box as the firmware dosent even move the needle(s) yet. eventualy it will alow us to bring to life the cluster
i would pay good money for that ****...tired of not having that part of the cluster do anything
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

How you doing this? I looked at those signals with an o-scope and it's a mess. Purely digital/data communication. My general thought was to take the signals into a microprocessor of some sort to try and analyze the data but it's a bit over my head at this point. Damn hybrid cluster is just sitting in my garage waiting to be put back in the car.

I've attached a picture of the plug in question. This is a fun project...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1588.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	74934  
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by christmaspie
How you doing this? I looked at those signals with an o-scope and it's a mess. Purely digital/data communication. My general thought was to take the signals into a microprocessor of some sort to try and analyze the data but it's a bit over my head at this point. Damn hybrid cluster is just sitting in my garage waiting to be put back in the car.

I've attached a picture of the plug in question. This is a fun project...
i also have a hybrid cluster waiting and right now beeing the guini pig

i dont mean modyifying the cluster it's self. if u put an oscope on that plug getting "data" would make sence. it's a serial link to a LCD. thats how u get so many segments on so few wires.

my black box will talk TO the cluster. just like they did for the S2K cluster. it will be external to it so to the cluster your driving a hybrid car. the coolant, charge/assist, and batt as well as sevral idiotlights are controled thought the computer network. so my box will be the missing computers to make those gauges work.
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

my black box will talk TO the cluster. just like they did for the S2K cluster. it will be external to it so to the cluster your driving a hybrid car. the coolant, charge/assist, and batt as well as sevral idiotlights are controled thought the computer network. so my box will be the missing computers to make those gauges work.
I got that. I'm just wondering how you're going to figure out what information to send to the cluster. There is a small computer language driving the box that drives those LEDs. So don't we have to crack that language to put something in there to eventually drives the LEDs?
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

Have you determined where the coolant information comes from and which wire gets it to the cluster?
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

My info shows ECT info comes on the databus via white/green multiplex wire. Charge/Assist and Hybrid Batt level are harder to say, I think they come in on red TISIG & light green/red MTRASIG (both coming from ECM).

I'm on the same page as DieMaster thinking it's not going to work to drive those wires at all but rather the LEDs on the gauge itself. The problem though is those signals are all data, so you have to decipher the data to know what to send in it's place.

So all we need is a databus decoder and Civic Hybrid and it's done!
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

I have the ETM for the Hybrid and it only shows the coolant signal and multiplex together at the TCM in the auto. I see no other mention of the multiplex anywhere where it can get the coolant signal. So if the multiplex is actually giving the coolant signal, it has to come from somewhere.

I have a hybrid ECM and connected the TIM and MTRA wires to the cluster to see what happens. Not one segment on any of them lit with the ecm powered up.

What we need is hybrid to disassemble. I only know one person and he won't let me take his apart.
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

my understanding is the coolant comes from the TCU and the other 2 come from the IMA ECU

i realy want to change the auto stop to a vtec light and enable the economy updown shift lights.

if u wire up a hybrid cluster to a non hybrid car do the idotlights that are networked work? for ex, the BRAKE, trunk, etc

EDIT: to find out whats networked quickly do the gauge diaganostic prosedure.

Last edited by DieMaster; 09-28-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

yes they work

from what i can tell every one of those lights work except for a select few that only apply to the hybrid
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

That is what I originally thought but the coolant can't come the TCM since the manuals don't use this.

The auto stop wire is direct to the led so it can be easily wired for anything. The shift up/down come from one the computers and is not just +/- trigger.

All the idiot lights except the alternator/charge which comes from dc/dc convertor. It needs to be comnnected to alt like on older model Hondas
Old 12-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough

Don't let this die, more info!
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

ok not letting this die again for what the 4th time

my black box is dead. i gave up on it. thats the easyiest to a swaper but as i feared, a nightmare to try to figure out code wise. and i didnt get one result. like edison and his light bulb " i havent failed, i just found 2000 ways that dont work."

i have a hybrid cluster as stated before. i'm making a harness for it so i can easaly swap it out for the 04 EX cluster i use as the "stock" cluster. (milage is going to suck having to keep both clusters upto date lol)

i got a scangauge so i can see if the MPG readings are accurate.

Sniperscout, u have a cluster allready hooked up yes? i would love to have u help me/ us figure this **** out. do u have a auto or manny cluster? please send me a PM.

has anyone thought of replacing the multiplex unit with the one form a hybrid? or try uploading a hybrid program to a non hybrid unit?

***cough*** i'm also working on puting the autoclimate control in so we'll find out what that lt grn and blk/wht wire does hopfully. i think it's the "ECON" signal out TO the cluster to enable the auto stop /shiftlights and to tell the computer(s).

ALSO i have access to a database so any wiring diagrams for any honda civic i can get. including the hybrid.
Old 07-08-2009
Registered!!

taylorsherk is an unknown quantity at this point

bump. what gauges do you guys have working on the hybrid cluster.

tach, speed, gas and temp?????

Quick Reply: hybrid cluster compatible with 03+ EX style?