General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

volts dropping

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
volts dropping

im driving and i realize that my volt guage drops from about 13.8 to 12.5 when im in low rpms like between 1000-2500, but it goes back up after i pass that range. i don't have my subs or anthing in just the dvd player and tv. is this supposed to happen? just wondering.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

mad_ox1 will become famous soon enough
My old Civics and Integras would have the headlights dim if you bogged the engine. Hasn't happened with the new one yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. The alternator just isn't having enough power going through to the electricals when the revs are that low I would assume.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

SugaFree is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought 12.5 volts is still good. Correct me.
Old 05-01-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
^^^ yeah it is i was just wondering, i just never noticed it change in voltage like that before.
Old 05-01-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's the ELD adjusting. It won't allow the alternator to work non stop if there's no need. Next time you see the voltage drop, turn on the fan and it'll go back up. That's normal.
Old 05-02-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I have a volt meter on my 05, It seems to drop down a lot (around 12.5) one thing that I have noticed is with a reasonable load ( blower fan on or headlights) it will stay charging.

Probably to keep from overcharging that MASSIVE battery under there.

I think it is normal.
Old 05-02-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
The ELD turns the Alternator on and off as needed to charge the battery. Under low or no load conditions it will turn the Alternator off completely until the battery voltage drops below a certain point. It does all this NOT to keep from overcharging that "massive" (LOL) battery, but to maximize fuel economy. A clever, but unusual idea.
Old 05-02-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
^^ Makes perfect sense with the ULEV rating and all.