General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Bad Shaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RickyRocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad Shaking!!!

Alright, so I bought my wheels and springs and put them all on without a problem. I ride around for a day or two and I notice my steering wheel shaking when I get around 50 mph. I figure the wheels were improperly balanced so I get an alignment and check the wheel balance. The guy says the wheels were balanced O.K., but I don't have hub-centric rings for the wheels. No prob, I go and get them and put them on. Still have the same problem. What the he11 is it?????
My camber kit is coming in next week, so I'm puttin them on and then going back to the shop for the proper adjustment. I'm going to mention it to the mech, because this just plain sucks. I don't even want to drive the car!!

Any ideas? I don't think any of the rims are bent, but I did hit a pretty hard bump where the city was repaving the road. They milled the pavement and then just stopped, so there was about a two inch raise to the original pavement. This happened before all the alignment, etc.
Old 11-30-2001
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem after getting new tires. I had to go back 5 times, to keep getting them to rebalance the tires. For sure, it is a balancing problem, or a bent rim. Try rotating that bent rim to the rear, and see if it still shakes. If it stops shaking, then you know it's that rim. Or simply rotate both front rims to the back and see what happens.

Old 11-30-2001
Registered!!

Jimmy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sure this is not your problem but, sometimes tires are supposed to be installed in one direction. Again, I am not saying this is the problem but, this will make your car shake!!!![IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-30-2001
Registered!!

MiltownVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey i hit a pothole in July, had the same problem, check the sidewall of the tires for a little knot or bump, the dealer found mine, got a new tire, its gone now.
Old 11-30-2001
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ayzan is an unknown quantity at this point
Your mechanic is right, you need the center hub rings if the diameter of the center rim is bigger than the diameter of the hub. I have the same problem, but since my rims are discontinued, they do not make hub rings for them anymore. One way to get rid of some of the shakes is to loosen all the lug nuts, raise the car up, loosen all the lug nuts until the rim is slight loose, then tighten them slowly half a turn each lug nut in a cross pattern. What this does is it helps center the wheel. Remember, the wheel has to be off the ground. When you can't tighten them anymore, lower the car slowly and torque the lug nuts down.