Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Rpm's idle high when engine is hot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantaztik5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rpm's idle high when engine is hot.

Just like the title says. The car starts fine each morning before I go to work. I recently bought a 1998 Honda civic ex coupe. It has over 180k and I had a tune up done to it. The car drove fine until recently the rpms go way high, at times it goes over 3k rpms when I park. I've noticed when I drive the car to the store locally and park the car, and turn it off, I can't start it up right away. I have to wait till it cools off in order for me to start it up again. Abe suggestions will be appreciated
Old 05-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rpm's idle high when engine is hot.

Got codes?
Got a way to read live engine data from the computer?

Is the radiator low? Fill it up.
Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

The radiator level is good. How can I check the codes?
Old 05-23-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Code reader or a Scanner. The cheapest of cheap only reads codes. A good one can give you FF and live engine operating data.
Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

Ok but I don't have a code reader or scanner. Can autozone or a car part store read me the codes?
Old 05-23-2015

Originally Posted by Fantaztik5
Ok but I don't have a code reader or scanner. Can autozone or a car part store read me the codes?
Usually. Call and ask.

If they find no fault codes, that doesn't automatically mean there is no problem. There can easily be problems that don't set codes.

Right now I'm suspecting a misreporting ECT sensor. This could probably be read in a live data list during a no-start event.
Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

Is there a way I can find out by connecting something and the computer flashes a series of lights?
Old 05-23-2015

You can try the SCS jumper method to see if it will flash codes in a 2 digit format, that at least would tell you if there are any codes stored.
Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

rezsst is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a code reader off Amazon for $12 works with my phone. Also check for carbon build up in the intake. Could be iacv. YouTube videos are very helpful
Old 05-25-2015

I got a code reader off Amazon for $12 works with my phone.
Got any fault codes?
Will this thing read live data from the PCM?