Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Rpm's idle high when engine is hot. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/364026-rpms-idle-high-when-engine-hot.html)

Fantaztik5 05-23-2015 11:31 AM

Rpm's idle high when engine is hot.

Just like the title says. The car starts fine each morning before I go to work. I recently bought a 1998 Honda civic ex coupe. It has over 180k and I had a tune up done to it. The car drove fine until recently the rpms go way high, at times it goes over 3k rpms when I park. I've noticed when I drive the car to the store locally and park the car, and turn it off, I can't start it up right away. I have to wait till it cools off in order for me to start it up again. Abe suggestions will be appreciated

ezone 05-23-2015 11:45 AM

Re: Rpm's idle high when engine is hot.

Got codes?
Got a way to read live engine data from the computer?

Is the radiator low? Fill it up.

Fantaztik5 05-23-2015 01:00 PM

The radiator level is good. How can I check the codes?

ezone 05-23-2015 01:29 PM

Code reader or a Scanner. The cheapest of cheap only reads codes. A good one can give you FF and live engine operating data.

Fantaztik5 05-23-2015 02:01 PM

Ok but I don't have a code reader or scanner. Can autozone or a car part store read me the codes?

ezone 05-23-2015 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fantaztik5 (Post 4685540)
Ok but I don't have a code reader or scanner. Can autozone or a car part store read me the codes?

Usually. Call and ask.

If they find no fault codes, that doesn't automatically mean there is no problem. There can easily be problems that don't set codes.

Right now I'm suspecting a misreporting ECT sensor. This could probably be read in a live data list during a no-start event.

Fantaztik5 05-23-2015 06:02 PM

Is there a way I can find out by connecting something and the computer flashes a series of lights?

ezone 05-23-2015 06:50 PM

You can try the SCS jumper method to see if it will flash codes in a 2 digit format, that at least would tell you if there are any codes stored.

rezsst 05-25-2015 04:27 PM

I got a code reader off Amazon for $12 works with my phone. Also check for carbon build up in the intake. Could be iacv. YouTube videos are very helpful

ezone 05-25-2015 05:58 PM

I got a code reader off Amazon for $12 works with my phone.
Got any fault codes?
Will this thing read live data from the PCM?