how to get key copies

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: NEW (to me ) '01 Civic EX.....Help?

You can go to Lowes and get a transponder key cut/programed for around $30. Some Ace Hardware stores can do it for $70.
Old 12-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

An Immobilizer Type 1, 2 or 3 key can be 'cloned' if one can find a place that has the equipment to do it.
All you need is one valid working (original?) key they can copy on the cutting machine and read the immobilizer info and burn it into a blank, programmable key (the cloneable keys from Ilco/Honda were stamped T5).

The car itself is not needed except to verify the new keys work correctly.
Old 12-26-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bonestockcivic
You responded to my post about looking for a pair of keys the other day. If they only need one key, maybe I'll just copy the valet that I've got. Cheaper than risking an issue with the programmer on a pair of new keys.
Oh good call on that.
I keep forgetting that cloning keys was a choice, it's been so long since I dealt with any....and our parts department was the ones that did all of our key cutting and cloning.
IDK if our duplicator is still around, I haven't seen it in several years.

I only get involved when a scantool is needed to program stuff.
Old 12-31-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: how to get key copies

If you don't have any keys, you will need the vin number of the car and go to the dealer
Old 12-31-2015

Re: Lost a Lic, Key & Fob. How to secure the car now?

There is no difference except color.
The cut of the pattern is different if one wants it to be a valet key.

On the immobilizer, a dealer can erase transponder codes for the lost/missing keys so even if someone can get inside, it will not run.
They will need all of your working keys.
Old 12-31-2015

Originally Posted by ezone
There is no difference except color.
The cut of the pattern is different if one wants it to be a valet key.

On the immobilizer, a dealer can erase transponder codes for the lost/missing keys so even if someone can get inside, it will not run.
They will need all of your working keys.
IF the LOST key was stamped T5 (a cloned key) OR the original of that which was cloned, then it will always start the car if it's "twin" is still able to start the car.
Old 12-31-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
IF the LOST key was stamped T5 (a cloned key) OR the original of that which was cloned, then it will always start the car if it's "twin" is still able to start the car.
A further explanation of this ^^^^post.

This generation of anti-theft used a fixed code that was unique to each individual key. For convenience lets say the lost key was coded "ABACD." Honda offered keys (and so did some companies such as ILCO) that had no key code assigned to them. These were known as T5 keys. You took a key and placed it into a special machine and it read the code and then programmed that key code into the blank key.

The problem is that you can have as many keys with ABACD (or whatever code desired) as you want. So if the lost key had a partner with the exact same coding the lost key will be able to start the car. The only way to prevent this would be to not program the matching key into the system. Of course there really isn't any way to determine which keys are cloned and which are not. This issue has been a minor worry of mine for about 5 years since my car came with 5 keys, 2 of which were T5 clones.
Old 01-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bonestockcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maxtierney
You can go to Lowes and get a transponder key cut/programed for around $30. Some Ace Hardware stores can do it for $70.
Lowes does not cut the 7th gen key, but Ace does do it in AZ for $69. Walmart doesn't cut the 7th gen either. Just went to multiple locations to verify this morning.
Old 01-06-2016

Originally Posted by bonestockcivic
Lowes does not cut the 7th gen key, but Ace does do it in AZ for $69. Walmart doesn't cut the 7th gen either. Just went to multiple locations to verify this morning.
I assume you mean they can't cut a sidewinder key? That takes a special machine.

I'd expect they can probably cut the regular key used in 01-02 Civics.
Old 09-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
photiost is an unknown quantity at this point

yes we got a spare key cut and programmed at a locksmith here locally cost $42 total
Old 09-05-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

note: nowadays keysmiths carry the tool to program the keys to the car, so just check with keysmith if they have one [information added]