Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission)
-   -   Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED* (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission/224048-whos-had-bad-transmission-updated.html)

Jeff B 05-03-2006 01:01 AM

Replaced a tranny on an 01

My buddy's 01 Auto sedan tranny went out a month ago so I replaced it last weekend with 58k miles on it. Put a reman/salvaged tranny in and its seems to work good.

azn2k1civic 05-08-2006 08:15 PM

01 civic...auto tranny went bad at 37k miles...so my warranty was gone. had to buy a whole new one. honda charged like a grand and gave it another 3 year warranty.

RAA6785 05-10-2006 10:48 PM

Well I just found out today that my tranny in my 03 EX M/T with ONLY 58,000 Miles is pretty much ****in shot. I gotta get a new one, Honda wants 2900 for the part and it gets better
1. Honda Says "oh the part is on back order'
2. Honda Says 'Estimated time of delivery is UNKNOWN'

ok so lemme think about this. The fact that the part is on back order leads me to believe that honda has been having a problem with the tranny's for these cars, and secondly is there anyone out here on 7thgen that is a service tech at Honda or acura?? and if so have you heard Honda put out a statement or anything admitting that there is a manufacturing flaw with these trannys ?..i mean come on a HONDA TRANNY going at 58,000 miles ?..please if i knew that i would of bought a Fcukin Kia...so let me know Thanks fellas

gearbox 05-11-2006 12:02 AM

honda tranny on backorder what a surprise. 01+ civic tranny = POS that goes for manual and auto. Most autos dont make it past 100k miles. alot die as early as 20k miles.

RAA6785 05-11-2006 03:00 PM

are you seriously Gearbox ?...holy Shit that in-fcukin-credible.....im actually getting a JDM tranny to swap in for pretty cheap, but it's still at least 2 grand worth of work which is ridiculous...the 01+ trannys are REALLY that bad ?...i honestly cant believe it, had i know that i would of gotten something else hondas are supposed to run forever...i guess not anymore

DDragon7 05-11-2006 04:10 PM

^^They just dont make cars like they use to any more.

gearbox 05-11-2006 06:10 PM

its true. older hondas are upto 200k miles with no trans problems

MugenTak 05-12-2006 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by MugenTak
2001 EX Coupe. 2 gears, 2 synchros and a shift fork.

:mad: Time for me to pull the tranny apart yet again. The input shaft bearing is going bye bye. This is ridiculous. Time for me to get another CRX.

RAA6785 05-12-2006 10:00 AM

Is anyone a service on here and do you know if Honda put out a service bulletin about the transmissions ??
and a a lil bit of an update on my problemo.... i actually called honda america and i told them about the tranny and i got a case # and i gotta bring it to the local honda shop and have them take a look at it on monday, I'm gonna do whatever it take to make these fcukers pay for it, cuz this is ridiculous

Devani 05-12-2006 01:26 PM

2001 Civic EX 5MT....only the 5th gear not working perfectly....I know it is going down.....damn

milage 73xxx

sixer 05-12-2006 05:15 PM

Less than 1% failure on these trannies. All the people complaining here are ones that are driving there cars way too hard and not shifting properly and the odd ones that just happened to have a bad one. There are so many of 7th gen civics on the road, such problems talked about on here would be much more evident among lemon aid guides etc. 2001 had some kinks, as do all first year models, but please.....

gearbox 05-12-2006 06:14 PM

we've already determined the problem: a defective clutch pack carrier (factory defect) not driving style. I dont race my car at all i've been to redline maybe twice since owning it. and mine is slipping at 50k.

LogicWavelength 05-17-2006 07:24 AM

My 02 EX 5SPD transmission took a poop on me just before the warrenty bell. I beat it a little bit, HOWEVER, I was trained to race professionally as well as sold hondas/acuras for 2 years. So besides my "normal" amount of abuse i'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault. My countershaft bearing decided it didn't want to work anymore. Made a cool whirring sound tho.

I was told by my service manager that there were a few problems in the 5SPD box from the factory that weren't worked out until MY03, but nothing large enough to issue a recall. one of those problems was the countershaft bearing, another problem was something with the synchros causing gear wear after X amount of miles from not working to standards.

Luckily, I only had one of those problems because the new countershaft part was backordered for 6 months. As I was an employee, It took 1 month to locate one from Canada, I believe.

I am at 51,XXX miles now and no further problems.

null2k2si 05-17-2006 11:02 AM

I have a MY02 EM2 with the 5 speed gearbox, and after reading this entire thread, I am concerned that I am on borrowed time... thus far the only noise related to my transmission that I hear is a hissing noise when I let off the gas pedal and just coast. I only hear it when the transmission is in gear, and in any of the 5 gears. Going into neutral or pressing clutch pedal down kills the hissing. Might be the input shaft bearing as per the tranny noise sticky in these forums? 63k mi on the odo.

What is the best thing I can do to prolong the life of this transmission that seems to be prone to failure?

LogicWavelength 05-17-2006 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by null2k2si
I have a MY02 EM2 with the 5 speed gearbox, and after reading this entire thread, I am concerned that I am on borrowed time... thus far the only noise related to my transmission that I hear is a hissing noise when I let off the gas pedal and just coast. I only hear it when the transmission is in gear, and in any of the 5 gears. Going into neutral or pressing clutch pedal down kills the hissing. Might be the input shaft bearing as per the tranny noise sticky in these forums? 63k mi on the odo.

What is the best thing I can do to prolong the life of this transmission that seems to be prone to failure?

Well, I am no mechanic, but from the information I was given, it was made clear that not all of our 01/02 5SPDs will have problems like I did. Also, the problem that I experienced is something that would have happened before 30-40,000 miles. SO... you may not have any problems and in fact, have a good transmission. Each car takes on little sound/vibration/touchy quirks of its own as it ages. Your sound may be normal.

RAA6785 05-17-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by null2k2si

That was the same noise my was making, they said it was the case bearings and that it will cost like 640 for the labor and honda is paying for the parts cuz my car had only 58 K miles on it....

blk04civiclx 05-17-2006 11:17 PM

Im think My friend had problems with his tranny (04 Manual LX) Honda told him it was the clutch.. but it had only 20 k miles on it.. it wouldnt go into gear. i duno

K.Low 05-19-2006 09:49 PM

My car has the factory warranty till 60000 miles...how much is it to purchase the one till 100000 thanks.

shroomster 05-19-2006 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by K.Low
My car has the factory warranty till 60000 miles...how much is it to purchase the one till 100000 thanks.

"one hundred million dollars"
*raises pinky finger to edge of mouth*
*cue evil genius music*

K.Low 05-20-2006 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by shroomster
"one hundred million dollars"
*raises pinky finger to edge of mouth*
*cue evil genius music*

Baahahahaha...no seriously ?:rofl:

shroomster 05-20-2006 09:49 AM

honestly i have no clue....but you could call up to your local dealer and find out :D

K.Low 05-20-2006 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by shroomster
honestly i have no clue....but you could call up to your local dealer and find out :D

I certainly will be theyre close on week-ends:_doh:

civics4everyone 05-23-2006 02:33 PM

Ihave an 02 lx and have no problems whatsoever other than driver power window cable and coin holder broke. Im at 68k and tranny shifts smooth. Ive been thinking about selling it while i can still get some money for it. Do you guys think i should sell or what? If i cAN GET 10-12K$ for it id be happy. Considering buying like a 95 civic for about 4-5k$

mrchowmein 05-24-2006 04:23 AM

i have this feeling that some people dont even know they have a bad automatic transmission. I think the kicking of the 2nd gear is more common than the slipping of the second gear. I personally get kicks from my auto when i slow down below 20mph and attemp to reaccelerate. All the other gears are fine.

gearbox 05-24-2006 07:20 AM

i think the kick is just part of the tranny. mine and most peoples did it since it was new.

RHCP0801 05-24-2006 07:23 AM

yea mine has always done that, i hate it a lot :mad:

UltimateWarrior 05-24-2006 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by civics4everyone
Ihave an 02 lx and have no problems whatsoever other than driver power window cable and coin holder broke. Im at 68k and tranny shifts smooth. Ive been thinking about selling it while i can still get some money for it. Do you guys think i should sell or what? If i cAN GET 10-12K$ for it id be happy. Considering buying like a 95 civic for about 4-5k$

SELL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rockon:

65Coronet440 07-10-2006 10:17 AM

Got a new one to add, though not a civic.

My co-workers 2002 Accord with 102,000 miles just had the automatic tranny quit on her. She does the same kind of driving as I do, 95% highway.

She's going to try and get Honda to replace it under warranty, so I'll post here if I get any news back about that.

Jrfish007 07-10-2006 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 65Coronet440
Got a new one to add, though not a civic.

My co-workers 2002 Accord with 102,000 miles just had the automatic tranny quit on her. She does the same kind of driving as I do, 95% highway.

She's going to try and get Honda to replace it under warranty, so I'll post here if I get any news back about that.

Is it the V6 Accord? Those are more prone to failure from what I hear.

65Coronet440 07-10-2006 11:31 AM

Edit: just asked her, it was a 4 cyl