Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission)
-   -   Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED* (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission/224048-whos-had-bad-transmission-updated.html)

Island2K2 11-06-2006 09:30 PM

my transmission lost 5th and reverse so i got it rebuilt at 70k , here 95K and i lost 2nd and 5th again i guess this time ill try to get a used one i dont think i can spend another 500 on gettin that one rebuilt again. what do you think go to the junk yard and find the one with the lowest miles? i have no choice i need my car asap tired of ridin on the hwy in 4th.....

dopes6070 11-06-2006 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buds302 (Post 4079399)
are the trannys in the 7th gen civics alot different from any other gen civic? i was wondering..cause i used to own a 4th gen civic and i can tear down and replace all the bearings in the tranny for under 100 bux. and less than 2 hours of work...i was wondering if this is possible with the 7th gen civic?

It’s just as easy just a bit more sensor wires to remove. I completely rebuilt a 2002 Auto trans with no problems. It took me probably 10 hrs but it was my first time doing anything like that. If i did it again im sure it would not take more then 4-5 hours The bearings are held in with snap rings. ;)

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274365

dru106 11-07-2006 12:35 AM

I have AUto tranny for sale if anyone needs it!!! $300!!

Buds302 11-07-2006 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dopes6070 (Post 4079731)
It’s just as easy just a bit more sensor wires to remove. I completely rebuilt a 2002 Auto trans with no problems. It took me probably 10 hrs but it was my first time doing anything like that. If i did it again im sure it would not take more then 4-5 hours The bearings are held in with snap rings. ;)

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274365

very interesting... i didnt think the auto tranny could be rebuilt. can you get all the seals and jets too? that would be a business to go into there. rebuilding auto honda trannies. you would make a killin

dopes6070 11-07-2006 04:46 PM

pretty much any good shop can do it. The problem is that they want to charge ~$2000. Everything needed for the rebuild is included in the overhaul kit unless your trans was out of spec to begin with. In that case you may need some OEM parts from a dealer. If someone does need one rebuilt in socal I can do so for a small fee :giggle:

DieMaster 11-08-2006 02:28 AM

wow at all the damage. what ever happened to hondas beeing known for the relyablity they offer.

02 EX coupe 80K w/ no work done. does this mean i'm way over due if somthing brakes?

also is this braking a normal driving or driving hard w/ pealouts etc?

dopes6070 11-08-2006 06:44 AM

no peel outs but it was driven pretty hard. I think most people with autos that drive easy have over 100k with no probs.

03EM2_EX 11-09-2006 07:51 PM

got mine car from the dealership- 2 months later whole thing got replace for FREE/warentee

CoupeStylz 11-13-2006 09:28 PM

on my 2nd tranny. Been in the shop 4 times for tranny trouble.

tfnaaf 02-02-2007 12:50 AM

2001 civic auto trans, started whining 3 days ago . Thought it may have been P/S noise! Way home tonight started to slip between gears , to the point where it was all i could do to make it home. And when i say all i could do im talking bouncing off rev limiter and Blow Off Valve singing out repeatedly. Gota say it SOUNDED SWEET ! lol Oh well, time for rebuild or swap...

TexasMike 02-12-2007 08:54 PM

2002 Civic LX coupe... It was a while ago but I think it was at 76,000 miles. Full rebuild under warranty. It could have been a new transmission but I would have had to wait too long to have it shipped in.

darkhonda2k2 02-15-2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by _SKIN_ (Post 4077878)

and oh oh yeah, My brother convinced me to buy the $800 extended warrantee till 100,000 miles or 7 years... Well... 3 transmissions (including the original), 2 alternators, 4... count em... 4 Sets of front struts, clutch, though out berring, seat brackets, heater core, gas tank gas filter and gas pump, and numourus other little things covered by that $800 warrantee my brother said I should get... God bless that poor bastard, Hes a goofy ****er but I love him.

BTW @ 114,000 miles now.

so im a little worried now, I have and 02 LX man, and ive never had a problem.

do we just need to change out every part bolted to our cars of what? lol

jackyly 02-15-2007 09:19 PM

I'm on my third transmission and i have 86,000 miles.....i have a 2002 civic ex 5spd ....my original transmission had no more 2nd gear at 37,000miles, my second transmission leaks oil from the input shaft and has grinding noises. i had it installed at 40,000 miles and it survived to 72,000 miles and now im on my third still hoping it survives to 100,000 miles...my car is currently at 86,000 miles....still praying

sql_civic 02-15-2007 10:59 PM

My 5-speed tranny went bad when I lost 5th gear on my 84 Accord after 280,000 miles. I just kept driving it with 4 gears until I hit 300,000 miles and then retired the car.

I guess they don't make em like they used to.

dopes6070 02-15-2007 11:14 PM

my 5spd has almost 120k on it still going strong! I feel that these people that go through multiple manual transmissions are slamming the gears on a regular basis...

tallpaul0579 04-09-2007 11:46 AM

Re: Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

Girlfriend's 02 lx auto, 77k miles on it....Heard the whining, took it in, they did a trans flush (everything that is on the 30k service). Get it back, whining just as bad as it did before we took it in, and then the tranny starts to slip. Just as everyone has said, this morning she's on the side of the road (on her way back to Honda!!!) with no gears what so ever!!! Went to Honda, called the tow truck and waiting on what line of BS they are going to feed me about what caused this problem. I guess my ? is, do we have a fighting chance on blaming it on the dealer due to the fact we had $450+ worth of work done on it at Honda less than a month ago to "fix" the problem, and it is now shot? (BTW we have already contacted American Honda). And before I talk to this service manager, do YOU guys think that they know about this problem and are just playing stupid? I don't know if I should light him up and tell him I know about the "clutch pack carrier" problem or just try to blame it on the service that they did last month. It really pisses me off if this guy knew the tranny was going to go and still screws me out of $450.00, knowing I'll be back in a month. Sorry guys, just frustrated. I really appreciate any help that you can give me on this. And one last thing, what is the BEST case scenario that anyone has heard of pertaining to us not forking out $3500 for a new transmission.

civ_nate 04-09-2007 01:11 PM

I ahve an 05 coupe 5 spd and had all my tranny bearings replced and rebuilt at 40xxxkms

Intercooler 04-23-2007 11:31 PM

You guys still scare the hell out of me! Is it safe to say all the autos go at some given time premature? Premature to me means less than 100k miles. If I get 100k miles that isn't all to bad IMO. Of course I would like 200k miles but due to the size of the things looking at them and the fact they don't use a filter I would say that is about it. I have almost 56k miles on my stocker now and so far pretty happy with it but... I am still leary of it going in the next 25k or so. What warning signs should I be looking for? I am just in hopes I have maybe one of the few that won't ever have the problem until it is just plain wore out. Since this has been on my mind I have thought about selling it or just running it into the ground and keep it. I do need a gas mileage car though!

gearbox 04-24-2007 04:15 PM

warning sign? slipping between gears like when you think its gonna shift and instead it revs up 500rpm or more like in neutral and then it shifts. mines been doing that for a year and i think the new fluid and filter/cooler has helped cause its never slipped more than 500rpm and its not getting worse for now.

ancientpimp 08-18-2007 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 3709924)
wow this thread is depressing. has anyone lasted over 100k at least? please?

Mine's at 242,000K+ (02 autoLX), but its got the slipping from 2nd then revs up high then shifts to 3rd problem when its cold, i just pretend VTEC just kicked in, ROFL=p (usually disappears during summer and gotten a bit better when i changed my A/T fluid) No whining sound so far (knock on plastic intake manifold, LOL)
The slipping started around 180k, 5k after i bought it, bleh!
With all these trannies pooping out, it makes me almost scared to drive my car now (Sad) Other than that, no complaints until the tranny craps out, he he!.

gearbox 08-18-2007 03:12 PM

at least you got good use out of it. alot of us have it slipping at 50k miles and below. it sucks how this could happen when older civics were much better built.

instalher 08-21-2007 10:59 PM

86k on standard tranny and whole tranny had to be rebuilt.... under warranty of couse but they tried to blame me for bad driving habits!!!!!! funny that, when i asked to look at the clutch there was zero were on it. so i as asked service manager how the hell misuse but no clutch wear caused all the gears and bearing to break and need replacing.. ya thats what i thought you dumb ass..... got it fixed under warranty and never been back since damn i hate honda and there b.s. you would never see that from toyota!

hanie 12-18-2007 10:20 PM

:2pimp: I posted a problem 2-weeks ago and had only 4 replies about a/t in civic ex, has 126000 oncar with no probs until my son decided to turbo charge this week little bitch, 1st the headgasket, strutts, axles cvs , and tranny, but tranny wasn't hurt, everyone said it was trans according to code from honda dealer, took charger backoff and whento independent mechanic, after we put shift cylinoids in, no change, he found smashed wire from trans. and bent prong on plug to tranny, charged $145, man was I surprised and very happy! I had a 91 civic wagon standard, drove it like we stold it for 275,000 mi with only min upkeep. It still had the orig clutch.when I sold it, 2 yrs ago and we still see it around. I personally believe the 2001 is not the car the 91 was, and Fixin to be rid of it, anyone interested? We also have a brand new turbo charger for sale . My opinion is they will not take any mods without rebuilding or changing the whole driveline out! Good luck I'm going back to work on mouse 396 sb,70 Nova w/probrake glide and fab 9", at least if I break it I can fix it!:thistop: :lol:

breault5 12-23-2007 12:56 PM

add another to the list had to replace a few bearings internally such as the input shaft bearing because of the noise and an eventual tranny failure..but got it fixed from a guy i know...

emjay 12-23-2007 02:08 PM

how much did u pay for the input shaft bearing to be replaced

breault5 12-23-2007 08:52 PM

umm well it should have been over at least $600-700 but thankfully i knew a guy who worlked at a tranny shop and knew hondas and acuras inside & out...so he charged me $300 for labor inside his own garage and i had to buy the pars and fluid so came out to be around $400 and wow what i differance i could actually hear my motor & exhaust w/o my bad tranny be loud!!

allmotor 03-09-2008 08:25 PM

my 04 tranny was almost the best tranny from a honda that i could use and learn on. I ran the shit out of the car nitrous on and off til 20,000 miles without changing the clutch and it never grinded. Then i sold it and the next owner still didnt have a problem, he then sold it and its still fine.....i guess it depends on drivers and break in period.....

--JP-- 06-19-2009 02:49 PM

Honda Civic 2003 LX, 68k miles, rattling sound from transmission - Dealer diagnose: all bearings to be replaced, $1,500.

speedster 06-20-2009 12:24 AM

Is it the 5-speeds only making the rattling sound or are the autos making the noise too?

JesLet 10-13-2009 05:03 AM

Friend's 2001 Civic EX sedan AT:

Tranny gave up at 65K miles. Before it went bad, I drained and refilled the transmission with ATF Z1, followed all the instructions and procedures. I did not do anything wrong.

A week later after I changed the transmission oil, he said the car is whining, 3 days later check engine light came on and it was the transmission.

Is it just a coincidence that the tranny failed at the same time I changed the fluid? Anyone here have the same thing happened?

One more thing, I have a 2003 Civic LX coupe AT 88K , I'm afraid to change the fluid because this might happen again. My transmission is still good, the fluid is reddish-brown though, I really want to drain and refill this one but from skimming this thread, I see about 2 or 3 people with 2003 AT models have problems.

Thinking about selling my '03.:confused: