Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   civic vs cobalt (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/192302-civic-vs-cobalt.html)

nindoo 01-21-2005 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by orion_squall
ok, the SI (EX) is a bit fancy therefore it is a bit over priced, lets consider the most practical model.

Please notice the cobalt sedan is more expensive than Civic too! (comparing with the most sold model LS-G)!

I just don't believe the statement "you pay less to get better" applys to American car at all. We definitely made the right choice from buying civic. :rockon:

I think if you want to compare the cobalt LS you have to compare it with Honda higher end model like the four door SI(EX) or coupe SI(EX). Electric doors,heated eletric mirrors,6 speaker stereo, VTEC engine 127hp, Mag wheels, sunroof. I say that because the cobalt LS is the higher end cobalt right before the SS. Our high end model would be the SIR(SI). Civic LX-G its 115 Horsepower and cobalt is 145hp, though 127hp doesn't seem like a lot more than 115 it still is the higher end civic that comes with it.

nindoo 01-21-2005 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by S2000man01
the higher the compression, the more hp you get from the explosion in the chamber. the reason being because as the air is pressurized/compressed, it becomes more volatile and more explosive.

Originally Posted by diskreet
Exactly. If you want to use nitrous/FI then lower compression is the better way to go. This means you can run more pressure safer since your pistons dont compress the air as much. Alot of imports run 10:1 or higher compression ratios, but under boost that is starting to get pretty high. 9:1 is a very good compression ratio to use on a turbo import if the internals can handle more air pressure from the turbo. The air/fuel mix burns safer and the engine still puts the same hp out.

So the lower the compression ratio...the less air to burn. Higher ratio means more air to burn which means more horsepower, but also means less reliable with any forced induction or nitrous. Naturally aspirated a good c.r. would be 11:1 for good horsepower numbers. understand what it means more now?

Thanks guys

S2000man01 01-21-2005 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by diskreet
9:1 is a very good compression ratio to use on a turbo import if the internals can handle more air pressure from the turbo. The air/fuel mix burns safer and the engine still puts the same hp out.

just an FYI. the greater the compression on a vehicle, the more hp you'll get from FI.

So for example. lets say you have an S2000 with 9:1 and an S2000 with 11:1.

turbo charge both with say 10psi. The car with 9:1 might get say 80hp from the boost, where the 11:1 car will get 100hp from the boost.

So the greater the compression on the car, the more hp you get from the boost.

nindoo 01-21-2005 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by S2000man01
just an FYI. the greater the compression on a vehicle, the more hp you'll get from FI.

So for example. lets say you have an S2000 with 9:1 and an S2000 with 11:1.

turbo charge both with say 10psi. The car with 9:1 might get say 80hp from the boost, where the 11:1 car will get 100hp from the boost.

So the greater the compression on the car, the more hp you get from the boost.

No wonder you have those little hatchback civcs with over 500hp.

S2000man01 01-21-2005 01:17 PM

On another note, the higher compression an engine is, the more prone to detonation the car will be as you up the boost. turbo charging essentially raises the compression since the air going into the cylinder is already compressed.

So you can turbo charge an S2000 with 11:1 compression as long as you build up the internals appropriately and use a higher octane fuel if available. the positive side to this is you'll get more hp per pound of boost you increase than a car with 9:1 compression.

FYI, S2000's have been turbo charged with as much as 12-14lbs of boost on stock internals. This is thanks to the fact that the car has many forged internals straight from the factory, is hand polished/ported, and has things like bearingless rockers, skirtless pistons, hollow camshafts, etc. In fact the first thing you should upgrade if you FI your S2000 is your differential/rear end. It's a perfectly strong diff for the stock hp, but FI is another story.

nindoo 01-21-2005 01:29 PM

So overall higher compression engines are better?

nickm748 01-21-2005 01:46 PM

^ for more power, but you risk blowing the engine the higher u go

nindoo 01-21-2005 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by nickm748
^ for more power, but you risk blowing the engine the higher u go

http://www.comptechusa.com/machine.html

Comptech offers engine modification services and there services include increasing engine compression. I'm guessing there building engines to run more horsepower and a turbo set-up.

Do you loose compression as your engine gets older?

S2000man01 01-21-2005 05:26 PM

you shouldn't really lose compression as the engine gets older. if you're losing compression, then they need to test the block for a compression leak.... most likely caused by a damaged or failing pisting ring.

Keet 03-01-2005 11:59 PM

See? this is EXACTLY why using search on here is such a pain in the gonads.

Luckily I was searching for what people had to say about this Chevy Cobalt and how it compares to the Civic, I don't care if it's an old thread it's the newest one on topic.

My opinion is I'm pissed off, I hate Chevy and look, they made their own version of my Civic and it looks nice and has more power... I can't say a single bad thing about it, I'm about to boil over. Was that really the interior? Ah, but whats the deal with the ricey gauge sticking out like that? Hahaha, gotcha Chevy! I knew you screwed up on something. Damn, this really is the only Chevy in recent Chevy history that I (reluctantly) like, and to rub it in the Cobalt replaces the Cavalier, I want to cry.

Ok, you guys are talking about resale value. I don't know about the rest of you but I bought my Civic new and I got ripped off, I'll never see this money back, so the only way to make up for it is to drive this car into the ground and hope it lasts WAY WAY past 300k (which is my goal) with nothing but regular maint. I coulda bought two 1-year old cars for that price. I basically paid to love my Civic, now I pray that time will tell it was a good choice.

dnbguy86 is trying to make a well informed decision, after hearing him out I must painfully admit he should get the Cobalt, what's the worst nightmsarish scenario that could possibly happen anyways??? He magically loses a bit of money on the deal? The cheap Chevy engine blows up in his face making him hideously deformed for life?

The only thing left here to consider is fuel consumption... I have no idea what the Cobalt guzzles, but it's definitely more than our vtec engines... but probably not by much.

I gotta take this thing for a test drive myself and hope it sucks, any reason to hate it will do but I doubt I'll find anything.

BTW: Why do people here still keep believing their Civic is faster than the competition? ...cuz it's not, it's contrary to the laws of physics. The Cobalt will leave you in the dust so just face the cold hard truth and stop being dillusional. A stock Civic will beat maybe 3 or 4 competitors, I have yet to know which though.

diskreet 03-02-2005 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Keet
Ok, you guys are talking about resale value. I don't know about the rest of you but I bought my Civic new and I got ripped off, I'll never see this money back, so the only way to make up for it is to drive this car into the ground and hope it lasts WAY WAY past 300k (which is my goal) with nothing but regular maint.

every car loses tons of value the second the title is transfered. 1 mile and you lose $1000 of value. from there on its usually pretty good and the civic has excellent resale value used so i dont know what you are talking about.

on a side note i saw an chick in an 05 lx 2 door white. but...car was hotter (and this girl was good looking)

dinglenuts 03-02-2005 12:10 AM

I skipped the middle 9 pages, but did anyone notice the striking resemblances in the cobalt interior to the civic interior. There are differences, but the door panels, parts of dash, vents, door handles, cup holders, cubby hole, all look so familiar?

Cascino 04-12-2005 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by _Viper_
Sure go ahead but Don't come back here crying that the car is a POS..Cobalt is a glorified Cavalier...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Blahman2 04-12-2005 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
but compare the 2.2L ecotec which has 145hp and 155ft lb of torque, compared to my 1.7L motor that puts out 115hp and 110ft lbs of torque. on paper the numbers look good. plus i test drove one and it doesnt bounce like my vic does on the highway

145 isn't top of the line! Get the supercharged!

Overboost 04-12-2005 11:28 AM

No need to compare a economy civic LX to a SS. If your going for price comparison w/ HP numbers then get the new RSX S but with the price your going for $14,000 your still in the economy sector of the buying market. Why not go older model if you want more HP? I've seen some sick 3000gts for $8000.

orion_squall 04-12-2005 11:54 AM

they have already started sellin those?

I fact that I have not seen one yet on the street suggest that this production line is once again a failure.

Cobaltowner 06-24-2005 08:17 AM

ok i personally drive a 05 cobalt sedan 5 speed ::base model:: the car was 15k.... ::i also have a 93 del sol si,and a 88 turbo supra:: thats cheaper than a civic...the cobalt weighs only 300lbs more than the civic...that hp and tor difference makes up for that...i have been messing with cars for 9 years now...ive had all kinds of different cars and raced different kinds of cars...in fact my twin brother has a modded94 integra gsr and his future wife has a 00 civic si, ive drove both...the cobalt seemed to have the same pickup and go as the si civic did...go ahead flame whatever your going to do..but dont sit here and flame a car you havent gotten into and drove yourself... also the 205hp rating that they gave the chevy cobalt ss is way off...::ss is a 2.0::the ss puts 217hp and 185 torque stock to the wheels and with a k&n drop in filter it got to 220 and 187 thats with only a filter...injen makes a cai for the 2.2 cobalts that raises it 7fwhp and 17lbs of torque...thats more than most cai will ever do....proof? here u go... www.modernperformance.com go to the cobalt ss page .... cai proof www.injen.com look for the cobalt intake

ajhdragon 06-24-2005 08:35 AM

wow an old thread back from the dead.

stinkypie 06-24-2005 08:43 AM

We've already got a used Cobalt on our lot(maybe the previous owner decided the civic is better?), and it looks really cheap. I would never want to be seen in one of those.

Cobaltowner 06-26-2005 07:31 PM

i personally like the cobalt over the civic...i had a race with a 00 civic si...si had intake,exhaust,bigger throttle body.bigger intake manifold,lightened flywheel,racing clutch ::my brother's future wifes car he was driving by himself:: we go from a roll by the time we let out around 95-100 he had only a car on my cobalt which is stock....i got a friend that video taped this if no1 believes it..ill give u his email addy

orion_squall 06-26-2005 08:30 PM

lock

TransformedBG 06-26-2005 09:01 PM

Il take your cobalt any day of the week. Go ahead get one, see how far behind me you are. panzy opt for the easy way out.

Cobaltowner 06-27-2005 02:36 AM

oh i guess a struck a nerve somewhere lol...dude i was posting on this b/c everyone seemed to flaming the cobalt saying it was a slow pos and etc...i added the race just to say the cobalts are just as slow as the si civics...but i race for fun so anytime im up for a race i dont care if i lose or not...i also read your profile seeing that you dont even have the stock motor in your ex either...u got the k20a...nice swap going from the ex motor to the k20 though...

cosmo 06-27-2005 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cobaltowner
dude i was posting on this b/c everyone seemed to flaming the cobalt saying it was a slow pos and etc..

Thats because they are. 8th gen > Cobalt.

Cobaltowner 06-27-2005 08:03 AM

wouldnt that make the civics 7th gen and below slow as well if it wasnt the si and such as the dx,ex,hx, and etc... the cobalts 5 speeds run high 15's stock the coupes and the sedans...the automatic versions of the cobalts run a 16.6-16.9 stock...if im not mistaken that is faster than a basic civic at the same price...the new civic is probably going to go above 20k probably around the price of the srt 4's and the ss cobalts both of which have over 220+hp from the factory...the civic is only going to have around 200...maybe 220 if they raise it b4 production is started since cobalts hp was underrated like the srt 4's...i just dont see why people flame another car u may not like it but someone else does...if u lost to one would u say good race or drive by and not even stop and talk to the guy? me personally if i race someone no matter what it is i like to know what is done and say good race whether i lost or won...also unless someone gets really crazy and rices a car out really bad i just dont say nothing because u may not like it but the other guy does b/c he put it on their :;you arent driving the car::

Brucewayne 06-27-2005 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
I currently have a 04 civic lx sedan......mods include 2.25 custom exhaust, 5% tint, and some i.c.e. goodies.....i work at a chevrolet dealership and i can get a top of the line cobalt sedan for about 14k or so....i think im gonna trade in the civic, what do ya'll think ?

i would keep the civic, save up buy more nice car, i can't say going from a civic to a cobalt is a upgrade.....most would say its a downgrade, see the unreliablity of chevys.....plus isn't it in the 1st year production, if u want it that bad, wait till 2nd year, so if any bugs/problems, they will get fixed by then, my .2 cents ;)

Cobaltowner 06-27-2005 09:18 AM

the only bugs the cobalts have had ::not all of them but some:: is the a/c switch not letting the a/c kick on and it blows out hot air...recall has been sent out on it and takes 5 min to fix at gm

TransformedBG 06-27-2005 09:50 AM

nahh not a nerve.. but seriously who needs american rice.

Cobaltowner 06-27-2005 10:10 AM

what makes it rice? their is import rice to if u want to go there.. i drive a delsol ,88 turbo supra and this cobalt..so im not one sided i like both sides domestic/import

modoman 06-27-2005 10:29 AM

the only gas engine ive seen make it to 300k and still runnin strong was a CHEVY 4 Cyl.
granted it was very well taken care (the car still looked new)