Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   civic vs cobalt (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/192302-civic-vs-cobalt.html)

dnbguy86 01-16-2005 08:48 PM

well i kinda agree about the civic having better value and looking a lil better...but the cobalt comes with a better warranty and since im an employee...there already knocking off like 2500$ for me, plus i can get free stuff for it all the time...i dunno, maybe im just not seeing something rite here

02boostlessCIV 01-16-2005 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bhc786
exactly.... i bet you can easily beat an engine on a cobalt... also i bet in 3 years that cobalt will be worth like $8500 while your civic is worth $10000...

also the civic may not come wiht the best features or best hp but its all about practicality which the civic definently has

yeah i think that everyone knows that a resale value of a honda is somewhere near the resale of a ferrari, maybe exaggarating a bit, but if you just want the car as a daily driver i would definetely go with the civic.

allmotor 01-16-2005 08:55 PM

i would trade in my civic for a cobalt ss.

thiscrackerntam 01-16-2005 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by allmotor
i would trade in my civic for a cobalt ss.

yeah if you trade it in, get the cobalt ss. not the 4dr git'er done.

_Viper_ 01-16-2005 09:00 PM

You know what ??? Get the Cobalt SS...All I can say from experience is that I will never buy another GM midsize car in my life......

devilvtec 01-16-2005 09:06 PM

I kind of like the way they look, well except the spoiler. But they dont seem too bad to me

quick silver 01-16-2005 09:08 PM

That Cobalt is FUGLY! Plus, it is a Chevy, and that says it all! However, if you are lookin for something faster out of the box then ya vic, I would say that the Cobalt would smoke an EX vic.

02boostlessCIV 01-16-2005 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quick Silver
That Cobalt is FUGLY! Plus, it is a Chevy, and that says it all! However, if you are lookin for something faster out of the box then ya vic, I would say that the Cobalt would smoke an EX vic.

now don't be so sure about that smoking part, cobalt ss yeah, cobalt base hmmm, i don't think so, stock to stock civic may loose but my vic ain't loosing to a cobalt.

Titleist71 01-16-2005 09:14 PM

Update:
I think the Cobalt has the 2.2 liter ecotec, same as the Saturn Ion series cars. The Cobalt SS supercharged has the 2.2 same as the Ion Redline....I think....(I saw an article and its the same motor). At any rate, my girlfriend has a Saturn Ion 3 with the 2.2 Ecotec and I can beat her all day. It's a bit torqy because its a 2.2 but my car is faster, and she hammers on it. I think the Cobalt is heavier being 4 door.

BlackFire 01-16-2005 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by JP375
If you test drove one and like it, I would definately go for it. The cobalt is a respectable car in my book. I have recommended it to several people.

How could it be a respectable car?? Its reliability have not been proven since its a whole new car. And the expectaitons are not so good if they just builded it as cheap as they built the Cavalier.

The Cobalt SS is definately A LOT faster than the Civic. But that car replaces the Cavalier, and everybody knows Cavaliers are very unreliable cars, and interior workmanship and materials are really cheap too.

quick silver 01-16-2005 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
well i kinda agree about the civic having better value and looking a lil better...but the cobalt comes with a better warranty and since im an employee...there already knocking off like 2500$ for me, plus i can get free stuff for it all the time...i dunno, maybe im just not seeing something rite here

Uhh, ya know why it has a better warrantly? Cuz it needs it! :_doh:

The new vics come with a 110K no tune-up. You will NEVER see Chevy offer the same (and at least live up to it). 110K on a Chevy and it is done! :shake:

BlackFire 01-16-2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Quick Silver
Uhh, ya know why it has a better warrantly? Cuz it needs it! :_doh:

The new vics come with a 110K no tune-up. You will NEVER see Chevy offer the same (and at least live up to it). 110K on a Chevy and it is done! :shake:

Agree!!

zachgeyer 01-16-2005 09:24 PM

Cobalt is a glorified Cavalier...well putt

hustlelikem0fo 01-16-2005 09:31 PM

Its a nice car, the design looks very well put together.

Now from a business aspect of the car game...

Its a Chevy..... your Civic drops about 1000 dollars a year (give or take of course) but the Cobolt will depreciate a lot faster. Your 15k dollar Cobolt will be worth about 12 next year... then it'll be worth about 9-10k the 2nd year then by the 3rd year you'll be lucky to get 7-8k for it.

The Civic on the other hand will be worth around 11k in 3 years if the mileage isnt too bad. For this fact alone I think you should keep the Civic.

We all know reliability is a big variable when buying a car. I know some poeple have tons of problems with a Civic but the chances are the Cobolt will be more of a hassle to maintain then a Civic judging by Chevy's history.

My opinion, stick with the civic because your wallet will thank you down the road.

quick silver 01-16-2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO
Its a nice car, the design looks very well put together.

Now from a business aspect of the car game...

Its a Chevy..... your Civic drops about 1000 dollars a year (give or take of course) but the Cobolt will depreciate a lot faster. Your 15k dollar Cobolt will be worth about 12 next year... then it'll be worth about 9-10k the 2nd year then by the 3rd year you'll be lucky to get 7-8k for it.

The Civic on the other hand will be worth around 11k in 3 years if the mileage isnt too bad. For this fact alone I think you should keep the Civic.

We all know reliability is a big variable when buying a car. I know some poeple have tons of problems with a Civic but the chances are the Cobolt will be more of a hassle to maintain then a Civic judging by Chevy's history.

My opinion, stick with the civic because your wallet will thank you down the road.

The Cobalt will be worthy $12K when it is driven off the lot! :flush:

DaveyD 01-16-2005 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by zachgeyer
Cobalt is a glorified Cavalier...well putt

:hithead: NO ITS NOT!!!! If some people did some research before sitting down and typing something on a forum, most people wouldnt be as dumb.

WhiteCastle 01-16-2005 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyD
That it is not. The Cobalt shares no parts with the former Cavalier. I think the interior looks more refined, and slick. Take a look for yourself. I think some people need to get off their brand loyal ass, and take a look at some other car companies and see what the hell they are doing. Oh and with 205hp in the SS, that is gonna whoop a Civic's ass any day of the week.
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/gallery/c..._gallery01.jpg

I sat in a colbalt SS. Fist off a neon srt-4 yes the neon has better interior. It looks good but the materials are soo damn cheap its laughible, my god I hate the RSX interior and compared to this the RSX is a luxary Maybach! The dash has no cushion it is hard cheap plastic tap on it and its like a empty turtle shell-I felt it was gonna crack on me and the seats are very poorly stiched feel like I went to the APC store.
compare this against a somewhat loaded scion tc for 18 grand and 22 grand for the TRD version I take a scion TC anyday.....
The colbalt SS is based of an OPEL and the 4 door is a corrolla=they have a joint plant with toyota.
you guys see that the OPEL speedster is on sale in the US?????
its a saturn lol they rebaged it...

wrussi 01-16-2005 10:11 PM

imma go this week and seat in one to see how it feels but hey also consider other cars a used gsr or a em1 civic si woulndt be that bad or even a srt4 its been out longer and proben to be not that bad.
do LOTS of research before signing papers dont regret it later

JP375 01-16-2005 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyD
:hithead: NO ITS NOT!!!! If some people did some research before sitting down and typing something on a forum, most people wouldnt be as dumb.

agreed. This car doesn't share much with the cavalier. Its a vast improvement for a Chevy. GM is on the right track.

diskreet 01-16-2005 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
I think yur just mad its a better car than yours...

lol anything under 150 hp sucks. Moving from one car to another in this section of slow cars means you wasted money. Get a scion tc and have more horsepower, a car that is more fun to drive, a car that doesnt make you look gay, and a car that will not need every part to be replaced before 100,000 miles. I will never respect GM. No matter what all of their cars I have ever seen have been crap from day one. GM vehicles are assembled by either monkeys or retards. They are poorly designed, and lack any kind of spirit that the company once put into their work. Now its just a bunch of money hungry old guys trying to make a million different cars and have them built like crap so you have to buy more of them.

On the other hand hondas, toyotas, and acuras last forever and people buy just as many. but they sell the old cars to get new ones instead of towing it to a junkyard at 125,000 miles.

orion_squall 01-16-2005 11:04 PM

mmmm

Originally Posted by thom
i love japanese cars
i was watching the news the other day.
the said japanese companies are catching up to amican cars
and said in year 2009
japanese manufacturers will be on top

mmmmm...

I think they already did pass american cars.

Maybe not as well as euro imports yet.

cdmx 01-17-2005 12:09 AM

just think how cheap they had to tone it down too, to get it to cost 14k

a freakin civic is like 18 msrp right?

DaveyD 01-17-2005 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by JP375
agreed. This car doesn't share much with the cavalier. Its a vast improvement for a Chevy. GM is on the right track.

The car doesnt share anything with a Cavalier. The Cobalt does NOT equal the Cavalier.

TemjinX2 01-17-2005 01:10 AM

i say test drive and see how you like it. If your already getting hook ups at the dealership then it might be cheaper for you to keep the car then regular people. But you also have to keep in mind how long your going to keep the car.

Usually the difference between American and Japanese cars are that you pay more initially with the japanese cars, but pay less down the road in maintence and part replacements. American cars, you pay less initially and pay more in maintence and part replacements.

if you like the car, then get it and how cares what other people think. Your the one thats paying for the car not them. I agree with the others though, the scion TC is probably a better deal then the cobalt. Even though its 2g more, your getting more in build quality and you'll save money in the long run from replacement costs, especially if your not working at the dealership in 2-3yrs down the road...IE found better job or fired.

ncirom2003 01-17-2005 01:14 AM

people need to realize GM isnt a bad car manufacturer im sure half of you love your dum escalades with 24's but your hatin on a chevy why? the cobalt is a nice car the fact is chevy built it pretty good especially compared to the cavalier. its nice also because the ss is a 2dr. and it has different styling than most people would expect from chevy and the interior is gorgeous for a cheap econobox car... personally outside looks i like my vic and the cobalt the same but inside wooohooo screw the vic. performance wise... lets be honest about reliability not many people who own a car will own it past the warranty if they buy it new especially a young kid

ncirom2003 01-17-2005 01:16 AM

oh and the bad thing about american cars that i hate.... depreciation value

half_n_half17 01-17-2005 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
lets be honest about reliability not many people who own a car will own it past the warranty if they buy it new especially a young kid

now how are you gonna go and claim that?

ncirom2003 01-17-2005 01:44 AM

i work at a auto body / mechanic shop and an overwhelming amount of young customers only have the car they bought brand new for about 5 or 6 years sometimes less alot less
and im 18 and know alot of kids who have new cars and in three years are trading in for another. im not saying everyone whos young and gets a new car will sell it in a few years, just that alot do

dalaw 01-17-2005 03:56 AM

come on people, what kind of car do you really want? A car that smokes everyone but always breaks down, or a slower car that wont leave you stranded?

TemjinX2 01-17-2005 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by dalaw
come on people, what kind of car do you really want? A car that smokes everyone but always breaks down, or a slower car that wont leave you stranded?

depends on the kind of person you are. I drive all my cars to at least 200k before i trade it in. I drive a lot too, thats why i have 30k on my 04 ex. My 96' camry had 200k on it before i traded in for my civic. Tranny and engine still running strong even with the mileage before i traded it in.