Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   RAAM mat discount for 7thgen civic members untill march 31st (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/27589-raam-mat-discount-7thgen-civic-members-untill-march-31st.html)

mohawkboom 03-20-2002 03:28 PM

U Da Man!!!!.. How did you distribute it all.. doa hoodliner.... Overhead liner..do the backs of some plastic panels.. how's it stick.. is it easy to work with.. do you need a heat gun?..does it smell like a wet monkey?..how much did you pay?.. does it work really good?.. is your bass louder?.. is your car quieter?...how much does it weight?.. did it make your car slower?..

Did I miss any Newbie Qs?.. hmm wait.. How long did it take you?.. was it hard?.. How do I get my roofliner off?..

Cheers
Mohawk:):)[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

Daniel420 03-20-2002 03:47 PM

Haha... you forgot will it void my warrantee? :):)

good to hear you got it done... I am waiting for mine to arrive then I'll have 112.5 sq ft of it in my car. (got 50 already in the trunk) I het your ride sounds quiet!

I was emailing w/ rick and he didn't suggest putting it under the roof because of heat issues. did you put it under there? tell us how it looks after a week. I wanna put some there but he said he didn't advise it. He didn't say it shouldn't be done jsut that he hasn't tested it so it isn't "approved" but it could be done i guess.

let us know.

SQCivic 03-20-2002 03:56 PM

Instead of waiting on my pics check out this guy's Celica. It will give you a good idea of where to put the stuff which is basically EVERYWHERE! :)

RAAMmat

SQCivic 03-20-2002 04:01 PM

Do NOT put it under the hood. There are products made specifically for that application.

I'm not done yet, still got a lot of areas to hit. I won't notice the improvement until I get everything back into the car. It's totally gutted at this point.

mohawkboom 03-20-2002 04:17 PM

Sounds good bro.. I Used Brown Bread.. the adhesive is much more ehat resistant so I used it as a hoodliner.. NO problems yet.. The summer will tell though,,,[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] for my roofliner.. I used little clips too to be sure

SQCivic 03-20-2002 04:32 PM

With the moon roof on the EX there was not a lot of area up there to put much of the mat but I put it where I could. I was impressed at how solid the moon roof itself is mounted.

mohawkboom 03-21-2002 07:50 AM

that celica dudes pretty seriosu about deadening.. dude should have thought a bit more and used the spray on Deadener for the plastic panels [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..

UncleB 03-21-2002 08:25 AM

There is a dude with a Maxima on that site that went overboard even more than that. The dude has like 10 pages with 20 pictures on each page, describing in detail what he did. he used like 400-500 sq. ft. or something crazy like that. he said himself that it was way overkill.

SQCivic 03-21-2002 08:39 AM

You do get to a point of diminishing returns with this stuff but even if you do go overboard (which I have) the improvements are very obvious. Also, when you compete, going overboard is just part of it whether it applies to the damping, wire protection, charging system, etc. That's just part of the fun and how the game works! Despite what many will try to tell you, there is no one right way to do any of this. :)

UncleB 03-21-2002 10:02 AM

I don't think 2 rolls is overboard for me. I think it will do just enough. I am excited to get started.

SQCivic 03-21-2002 10:15 AM

Far from it. Remember the secret to applying damping material is to use manageable size pieces. Have fun! :)

2k2civic 03-21-2002 08:24 PM

I have a roll sitting in my room right now. If I'm satisfied with the way my trunk turns out, I might have to go with a few more rolls. What I would really like to do is pull out the seats, carpets, panels, etc. and completely do the whole care, two layers on door panels, two layers on the floors, and 2-3 layers all around the trunk and trunk lid. Oh, and a layer or two on the headliner, and most likely, I will go for some other stuff to do the hood with. It'll probably end up costing me $500, but if you spend thousands on you system, why not make it right.

SQCivic 03-21-2002 09:29 PM

I agree. Are you from Louisiana or LA as in California?

2k2civic 03-21-2002 09:42 PM

That's LA as in California. I got my order real fast...return address says San Diego.

mohawkboom 03-21-2002 10:57 PM

2k2.. Your trunk is the second least important place to deaden so don't over do it.. just line the hood of your trunk and under the rear deck.. use the rest for your doors.. that's where the real difference is made.. Serious 62.5 sq.ft in the trunk is a waste..the floor of the trunk is allready damped..it's heavier guage steel..only the trunk lid and rear deck are actual problem spots..your trunk should use up maybe 25 sq.ft

Use the rest for your doors..(each doors uses 8 sq.ft per layer, so 2 layers each door(for a coupe) will kill alot of your road noise...when you get more than do the firewall, and floor. Then sidepanels of the car (or rear doors) then trunk basin.. Also a Hoodliner makes a pretty big difference too

UncleB 03-22-2002 08:01 AM

I just ordered my 2 rolls last night. He said he is shipping it today. woot!

thundercats4ever 03-23-2002 10:29 PM

Do you have to put it on with a roller? Also how much does it weigh for each roll?

2k2civic 03-24-2002 01:05 AM

Well, my system is the main reason I'm matting, not really to kill road noise.

mohawkboom 03-24-2002 10:04 AM

2k2.. in that case.. 2 layers on each door. 2 layers ont he trunk lid.. 2 layers on the rear deck...that's it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. that's all that resonates from your system [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. killing road noise is a big thing for your sound system. then you hear more uninterrupted music from pesky outside noises.

Cheers
Mohawk

BTW.. thanks for getting the deal

mohawkboom 03-24-2002 10:06 AM

<< I just ordered my 2 rolls last night. He said he is shipping it today. woot! >>

Yup.. buy a Dynamat heavy duty rubber roller.. it weighs about 28lbs for the 62.5ft roll. ( I think).. to prep for install you'll need 4 cans of foaming window cleaner (unscented) 5-10 rolls of blue shop towels..1 roller... some basic hand tools. a heat gun helps a bit(read borrow yo momma's hair dryer)... and be patient.. Use manageable sized pieces and it's pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Mohawk

SQCivic 03-24-2002 10:58 AM

and don't forget the BandAids! :)

mohawkboom 03-24-2002 11:09 AM

<< and don't forget the BandAids! :) >>

Yes..when doing the doors your hands will end up looking like then went through ameat processor.. But I wanted to skip that part out and let em experiance the fun himself... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..

SQCivic 03-24-2002 01:11 PM

lol :)

mohawkboom 03-24-2002 04:17 PM

<< lol :) >>

How's the DIY coming?.. done yet?..did you use foaming glass cleaner [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. (works best.. cuts greases..dries fast leaves no nasty streaks behind [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

UncleB 03-25-2002 08:24 AM

still waiting for mine to get here. I am guessing probably Wednesday or Thursday. I have never applied Dynomat or anything similar so this should be fun. I am getting my 2 brothers to help me so it should go quick.

SQCivic 03-25-2002 10:06 AM

It's a blast! :)

UncleB 03-25-2002 11:05 AM

SQCivic, did you happen to take any pictures during the process? I have never done this and any thing would help. If not, I will just fly by the seat of my pants.

SQCivic 03-25-2002 01:03 PM

Yes, I got plenty of pics. I'm just looking for a place to host them while I finish working on my website. I'll get something posted as soon as I can. I'll shoot you some thru email until then just to give you an idea of where to put the stuff.

Actually, I'm not through with the damping. Applying multiple layers and I haven't even touched the doors yet.

slikor 03-25-2002 01:06 PM

SQCivic: if you send me the pics by email i can host them on my domain for ya...interested??

if so email me at nelsons@od.nih.gov (thats my work address)

UncleB 03-25-2002 02:09 PM

I got tons of webspace if you want also. you can send me a zip file and I will host them for ya. I am mostly interested in the door process, but any pictures are helpful. the more the merrier. hehe.